Old September 14, 2001, 15:25   #31
Rhysie
Warlord

Local Time: 13:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Ilkuul
Thanks for the link, Gramphos; I missed that one. I think much earlier in the forums people were talking about a commercial victory, but it obviously wasn't 'official'.

By the way, that setup screen seemed to lack a Custom civ option, which is quite a blow! Does this mean you can only have custom civs in scenarios etc.?
In the screen the player has changed the name of the roman civilization to 'deltas'... Looks to me like you can edit the text in the box where it says 'Brother Bluto of the Deltas' to give your leader and civilization a customised name.
Old September 14, 2001, 15:30   #32
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 15:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Ilkuul
By the way, that setup screen seemed to lack a Custom civ option, which is quite a blow! Does this mean you can only have custom civs in scenarios etc.?
By Custom, do you mean added (unknown), or just temporary modified names (possible (I think (look at the leader- and civname)))?
Old September 14, 2001, 15:40   #33
Martinus
Prince

Local Time: 14:25
Quote:
Originally posted by tniem

But this is not the fault of those asking questions. It is the fault of the developer and the publisher. So there is no reason to call they person asking the question a doofus. Plus, I am interested in that screen although I wish they would answer the MP question but it appears they won't.
I didn't say that this is fault of asking questions. And I didn't say calling a querrant doofus was ok.
Old September 14, 2001, 15:43   #34
tniem
King

Local Time: 08:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Clark
I can think of several pointed, yet answerable AI questions. One of them would be something along the lines of how do the AI civs take advantage of the attributes assigned to them under certain conditions. For example, if a civ is expansionistic/scientific, what if runs out of room to expand (due to physical or military barriers), does it resort to becoming militaristic to continue expansion or does it just sit and stew?
Yeah I guess you are correct Steve. But it is not an easy question to answer. Plus in terms of bringing people into the Civ3 tent that have never played - it doesn't have the same flare as we have pretty pictures. But you are right it should be answered.
Old September 14, 2001, 15:44   #35
Martinus
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat

Maybe they are not releasing info on gvts, great leaders, etc because they don't want to give everything away. For obvious marketing reasons, they want to keep some details a secret so that people can discover the game when they play it. Do you really want the game "spoiled" before you play it?
How about a conspiracy theory: Maybe they are not releasing that info because they don't know the answers themselves??? Just like peacefull GA trigger - they may change it just in the end. So maybe, just maybe, SMAC-style SE is still a possibility.
Old September 14, 2001, 15:44   #36
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

about MP,
a question about it got a vague answer indeed,
but they didn't answer that it won't be in the game.
Pherhaps they still don't know. ( I guess they don't know if it'll be ready in time, otherwise they would've answered already)
Old September 14, 2001, 15:47   #37
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

You are probably right CyberShy, or they want to keep it secret, and the day before release tell us about all new cool MP features.

But shouldn't MP be listed as a feature in the game.
Old September 14, 2001, 16:09   #38
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 07:25
how come this news hasn't been posted? 2 real site updates and all apolyton has up is the trivia!
Old September 14, 2001, 16:13   #39
Ralf
King

Quote from http://www.civ3.com/asktheteam_091401.cfm

"The domination victory occurs if you control a majority of the world's land surface within your borders. This can be achieved through various means, either by cultural tactics or military ones, or a combination of both."

If "domination victory" optionally can be achieved by military conquering/ controling "a majority of the world's land surface within your borders" - then whats the difference compared with traditional "Military victory"?
Old September 14, 2001, 16:14   #40
Rhysie
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by d_dudy
how come this news hasn't been posted? 2 real site updates and all apolyton has up is the trivia!
I was going to say no news people have probably logged in, but as I type this I see from the menu at the top that it has just been added as a news item
Old September 14, 2001, 16:15   #41
RobC
Warlord

Local Time: 05:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf

If "domination victory" optionally can be achieved by military conquering/ controling "a majority of the world's land surface within your borders" - then whats the difference compared with traditional "Military victory"?
Didn't the original 'military vistory' in civ/civ2 require the complete destruction of other civs? Perhaps I don't remember correctly, since it's been a while since I played...
Old September 14, 2001, 16:19   #42
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Martinus

He is not a doofus, but what I (and apparently some people) are frustrated here about is that they seem to be deliberately avoiding answers to material questions (like types and number of governments; more info on great leaders; minor wonders etc.) while answering in great detail questions which are either inconsequential or answers to which are already known/presumed.

It is irritating
Yes! I have asked twice about how many government types there will be in Civ3. At first, I thought maybe I'm the only one who cares. Now I know they are simply dodging those questions. Please Firaxis, tell us about the governments.
Old September 14, 2001, 16:31   #43
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf
military victory is when you kill everyone. obviously if you're going for military victory the domination victory will come first but i guess you'll be given a choice to continue for military victory
Old September 14, 2001, 16:45   #44
d_dudy
Prince

if you don't have the culture to be in command of 3/4 of the landmass then you'll have to conquer every city.

but i also think what mark said will be an option
Old September 14, 2001, 17:15   #45
TechWins
King

Local Time: 06:25
Also...

Quite possibly all of the Civ's city might not cover all 3/4 of the land surface, so you could conquer all the Civ's before you get the domination victory.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old September 14, 2001, 17:22   #46
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
Quite possibly all of the Civ's city might not cover all 3/4 of the land surface, so you could conquer all the Civ's before you get the domination victory.
possible, but the domination victory comes up when you control 3/4 of the population as well. i dont see how the domination victory wont come up at all times if you're going for military
Old September 14, 2001, 17:30   #47
dennis580
Warlord

Last time I heard Firaxis said they were really leaning towards making two-thirds the requirement for a domination victory not three-fourths.

It looks like to me that Firaxis has not decided yet what percentage is required for you to get a total domination victory. All they said is a majority of the land mass. That could mean as little as 51%.
Old September 14, 2001, 17:32   #48
TechWins
King

Quote:
but the domination victory comes up when you control 3/4 of the population as well.
Where did you read that at? Here is the quote from civ3.com, "The domination victory occurs if you control a majority of the world's land surface within your borders. This can be achieved through various means, either by cultural tactics or military ones, or a combination of both."

So I would imagine that my possibility holds true.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Last edited by TechWins; September 14, 2001 at 17:40.
Old September 14, 2001, 17:38   #49
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

hmmm, sorry, confused it with the UN council requirements
Old September 14, 2001, 17:48   #50
dearmad
Prince

Anyone noticed:
The CULTURE victory conditions are totally different now... you can win with either your whole CIV getting a score OR one city getting a score... and the totals have changed.
Old September 14, 2001, 17:52   #51
TechWins
King

Yes I did notice that, dearmad. I was a bit skeptical of the reliability of the previous info. So this comes to me as no surprise.
Old September 14, 2001, 18:09   #52
Stuie
King

Local Time: 09:25
"Spaceship victory is in the game (as said before)."

Mea culpa.
Old September 14, 2001, 18:58   #53
Falconius
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
military victory is when you kill everyone. obviously if you're going for military victory the domination victory will come first but i guess you'll be given a choice to continue for military victory
From screenshots I've seen, you choose the victory conditions at the start of the game. If you choose more than one, then whichever one happens first is the one that ends the game.
Old September 14, 2001, 19:04   #54
Falconius
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
Yes I did notice that, dearmad. I was a bit skeptical of the reliability of the previous info. So this comes to me as no surprise.
The previous info came straight from the horse's mouth (Jeff Briggs being the horse!). He told CG magazine that 100,000 CPs was the victory level. Of course, this started an intense eruption on this forum where people debated back and forth over whether it should be based on one city or the whole Civ. Maybe Firaxis took notice of this and made the adjustment.

Somebody up there is listening!
Old September 14, 2001, 19:08   #55
Don K Hotay
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemmy

And i noticed you can set your governors per continent, i don't think this has ever been done before. Looks like the maps will be more realistic than ever.

I mean its a new feature, but I don't know how much use it will be. How many of you agree though that within a contient, it usually turns out that there are cities of varying industrial capacity? When playing Civ2 and CTP's, some cities happen to be blessed with hills and mountain ranges that can be mined for significantly more production, and these cities have the ability to pump out wonders and those high production requiring units, like battleships or nukes and what not. I myself refer to them as my industrial cities, and I always found it a pain in the ass to micromange production for each one seperately. I wish we could set governors based on production levels, commerce levels, food levels, science levels, and even a combination of these....sort of like in MOO2 where each colony was either an industrial, scientific, or farming colony (but there were no governors in MOO2).

Quixote
Old September 14, 2001, 19:15   #56
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
[SIZE=1] It looks like to me that Firaxis has not decided yet what percentage is required for you to get a total domination victory. All they said is a majority of the land mass. That could mean as little as 51%.
Precisely. And this means the Brits are ruling the world now (because they controlled much more than half of the territory in the 19th century).
Old September 14, 2001, 19:36   #57
Don K Hotay
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tribune

Precisely. And this means the Brits are ruling the world now (because they controlled much more than half of the territory in the 19th century).

Thats not true at all...they never controlled anywhere near 50% of earth's landmass
Old September 14, 2001, 19:55   #58
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Don K Hotay

Thats not true at all...they never controlled anywhere near 50% of earth's landmass
Admitted: I could be wrong. But they controlled most of Africa, Canada, India, Australia and some other places I forget.

Anybody has a map that shows "British Empire: Largest Extension"?
Old September 14, 2001, 20:23   #59
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Actually, the largest empire in the history of the world was the Mongol Golden Horde. I could be mistaken on this of course, but I believe they controlled virtually all of Asia, Russia, and even reached as far as Eastern Europe. If anyone could claim a domination victory it should be them.
Old September 14, 2001, 20:59   #60
TechWins
King

Quote:
The previous info came straight from the horse's mouth (Jeff Briggs being the horse!). He told CG magazine that 100,000 CPs was the victory level.
Yes, that is true, but I didn't think it stand that way. I'm not saying that the info wasn't viable; it's just that it didn't sound of high-quality. Therefore, I thought that it would be changed.