Old September 14, 2001, 11:56   #1
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Local Time: 13:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What do Apolytoners think?
Quote:
Originally posted by Napoleon Hitler:
I think there are many civs that you could argue should have all 6 special abilities. For this reason I would just like to be able to choose from the 15 different possible combinations when I play Civ3.
With 16 different civs and 15 different possible combinations, there is no reason why more than 2 should have the same combination of special attributes. Right now there is no Scientific and Industrious civ and no Militaristic and Commercial civ. I would like to see that changed.

You can justify giving any civ almost any 2 attributes you wish because most of the civs have long glorious histories in which they have been the world's most industrious or religious or militaristic or expansionistic or commercial or scientific civ at some point or another. Look at the case made for Britain earlier in this thread as proof of that.

The reason I want to see all 15 possible different combinations in the game is because it will make the AI very diverse. There won't be no 2 civs alike, but there will be only 2 civs alike. In Civ2 you can just change the color and the city names and *poof* you just made the Egyptians the Chinese or vice-versa. It becomes redundant.

I like the changes that Firaxis is making with this coming edition to the Civilization Series, and from an AI and Gameplay perspective, I hope that they utilize all possible 15 combinations of civ-specific capabilities in order to diversify the otherwise repitious AI civs as much as possible.
see the thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/ultima...c&f=5&t=000399

Do you agree or disagree with this?
Old September 14, 2001, 12:28   #2
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:26
Yes.

All possible combinations should be used. What I would have liked even more is the two abilities ranked, so that rather than 15 combinations you have 30 permutations.

Primarily *insert ability*.
Partially *insert other ability*.
Old September 14, 2001, 12:29   #3
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 07:26
I agree to anything that makes Civ3 more replayable. I'm afraid that forcing civs into a set attributes will definitely limit replayability. Alot of folks may think it's cool that civ X will exhibit Y attributes (or any other unique characteristics), but I think that by the third time we play a random game, we'll be saying, "Yep, the Chinese are starting the Great Wall right on schedule" or "The Roman's Golden Age should be starting right about....now". I vote for no attributes at all because I want each AI to act and react, not according to some predefined generalized attributes, but to the specific game's situation. But that's probably asking too much, so it looks like I'll be playing scenarios sooner rather than later.
Old September 14, 2001, 14:12   #4
Leonidas
King

Agreed. The whole idea behind Civ3 is to try and change history. I don't see why a civ couldn't develop into any combination of characteristics.

The more choices, the better - increases replayability tremendously.

Great idea
Old September 14, 2001, 14:34   #5
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
What I would have liked even more is the two abilities ranked, so that rather than 15 combinations you have 30 permutations.
This is an even better idea. It allows for an expansion pack with 14 civs, and nevertheless every civ can be unique.

The only problem I see so far is that the 'expansionist' ability (the civ starts with a scout) doesn´t really allow for fine-tuning.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old September 14, 2001, 14:36   #6
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

What about this, too?
No one saw (or at least responded to) what I had here before. So now, I will make it have its own thread.

The people at civfanatics.com seem to agree with y'all: that all 15 combinations should be available.

Last edited by Dimorier Maximus; September 14, 2001 at 16:31.
Old September 14, 2001, 14:49   #7
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 15:26
Firaxis might concider some combinations too good to be in without unbalancing the game.

The best way they could have made them is to let them be affected by the style a player playes (for humans) and only use predefined for AIs.
If a human explored a lot and built many cities he would turn to Expansionist. Then the startup abilities should have been none.
Old September 14, 2001, 15:46   #8
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I'd say it should be playable in 3 ways (When talking about special civ abilities):

1) Turn it off
2) Play with it the way it is now (Civ X have Y and Z abilities)
3) Play with random abilities (Civ X has in first game Y and Z abilities, while civ x in the next game has R and Z abilities)

If the 3rd option is avaliable I would surely use that one.
Old September 14, 2001, 15:53   #9
Martinus
Prince

IIRC, Firaxis said in one of the earlier posts about Civ Specific Abilities that we will be able to edit Civs to give them all, some or none of the Abilities as we want.

2 for each is going to be just default. I don't know whether it changed (it might have due to peacefull GA trigger), but if it didn't, we may easily do the thing we are talking about right now.
Old September 14, 2001, 15:58   #10
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

YYRC, the abilities will be editable, but we haven't heard about random (I doubt it will be in).

YYRC = Yes you remember correctly
Old September 14, 2001, 16:08   #11
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Martinus
...that we will be able to edit Civs to give them all, some or none of the Abilities as we want.
Yeah, yeah, but I think it'll get boring to go out and edit that everytime you want to start a new game...to make it random is the way to make the game more unpredictable = more fun

FIRAXIS, are you listening? Could somebody please tell FIRAXIS to read this?
Old September 15, 2001, 01:57   #12
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG

Yeah, yeah, but I think it'll get boring to go out and edit that everytime you want to start a new game...to make it random is the way to make the game more unpredictable = more fun

FIRAXIS, are you listening? Could somebody please tell FIRAXIS to read this?
I guess someone might figure out how they are stored and make a Randomizer, so you just have to run that app. (Maybe I’ll do it )
Old September 15, 2001, 03:30   #13
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
I guess someone might figure out how they are stored and make a Randomizer, so you just have to run that app. (Maybe I’ll do it )
That sounds good, cuz I don't have a clue how to make such thing