Old September 15, 2001, 17:46   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 13:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Baldur's Gate I Downloads
Just wondering... does anyone know any sites for BGI downloads? I just got the game and it seems I can download music, etc, and customize the game with it.
Old September 16, 2001, 07:18   #2
Juggler
Prince

Local Time: 14:27
I'm quite sure www.planetbaldursgate.com has some available downloads.
Then you should try Ironworks site (don't know the exact URL).
Old September 16, 2001, 07:21   #3
Juggler
Prince

When you enter planetbaldursgate, click on the Baldur's Gate I section and then find Media/ Files in the menu. They have plenty of such stuff you're looking for.
Old September 16, 2001, 08:34   #4
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Totally unrelated anecdote:

I was in Oslo a few days ago and I saw a street actually called "Balders Gate". Strange but true.

Oh, okay, never mind, then.
Old September 16, 2001, 08:54   #5
History049
Emperor

Oops, wrong URL

Palnet BG is good
Old September 16, 2001, 16:09   #6
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Okay thanks!

Another question:

How did you avoid the fiend in Friendship Inn? I decoyed him and lost him, then got Khalid and Jahara to join my party- then fought him... I am still trying to find something else to do... Should I go to Baghara? or Baldur's Gate?
Old September 17, 2001, 09:17   #7
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:27
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
Okay thanks!

Another question:

How did you avoid the fiend in Friendship Inn? I decoyed him and lost him, then got Khalid and Jahara to join my party- then fought him... I am still trying to find something else to do... Should I go to Baghara? or Baldur's Gate?
I didn't decoy him, I just killed him. Your next step is to head south to (I hope I get this right) Beregon and Nashkiz, two cities with problems with bandits and mines.

I too just got this game and it looks like I'm slightly ahead of you (well, as you wrote this). I think it's pretty fun, but I fear that it could become an exercise in tedious dungeon crawling (as I hear that it takes about 100 hours to complete ).
Old September 18, 2001, 16:44   #8
History049
Emperor

Head south to Nashgul mines(first you'll stop at Beregost), You can't even enter Baldur's Gate till much later. wish I was still in both of you shoes, you have hundreds of hours of fun to look forward to w/BG expansion and BG II, + BG II expansion if you get it.
Old September 18, 2001, 17:56   #9
DarkCloud
staff

... Dang, I keep dying! I went to Baradur and into a tavern- fought the mercenary- killed him, then joined Silke- who promptly killed me I am going to try something more today, but I will always restart if
Imoen
Khalid
Jaheira
gets killed- I ditched Xzar and Montaroon (after ressurecting him ) When I got that Dark Elfin girl, and the Paladin, but I could do without either of them If I had to...

I am heading to destroy the spiders.

Someone told me that it might be worth my time to investigate the Spellcasting Schools' ruins? Would I get killed if I went there? For now, I think I'll go to Naragost.
Old September 18, 2001, 19:23   #10
History049
Emperor

Have you done the Nashgul mines yet? What level are you? No one can help unless more info is given. or you can look at Planet BG or other great BG sources on the net
Old September 19, 2001, 04:48   #11
Juggler
Prince

Don't go to Ulcaster school just yet. First complete the Nashkel mines and Gnoll stronghold. This will get you some much needed experience to tangle with those PESKY Kobolds. I hate them!!!
They are usually around Nashkel and north of Cloudpeak mountains or whatever they're called. When you complete Ulcaster school go to the Firewine bridge.
Old September 19, 2001, 04:51   #12
Juggler
Prince

I just realized how much I miss this game. My friend has CD #4 and #5 and I stopped playing the game when completing all the missions in the first 3 CD's.
Old September 19, 2001, 16:31   #13
DarkCloud
staff

Level 1... Okay, I'll go to Nashkel as soon as I kill some spiders and return to Friendship Inn and receive my reward

The game keeps overheating in my computer! I only got 5 minutes of play in yesterday

oh well
Old September 19, 2001, 18:30   #14
History049
Emperor

Level 1??? Wait a whlie before Ulcaster, go to BEregost(on way to Nashkel) then Nashkel.
Old September 21, 2001, 10:54   #15
Juggler
Prince

There are more quests which you receive at Friendly Arms Inn, not just killing the spiders. Complete them all in Beregost and Nashkel and then return to Arms Inn.

I know remembering these quests is veeeery hard, especially once you get ca. 20 of them. You have to remember what to do, who hired you...... so browse through your logs carefully or write them on a piece of paper just like I did. This becomes quite annoying once you get to Baldur's Gate.
Old September 21, 2001, 16:30   #16
DarkCloud
staff

I haven't completed any quests yet- are they worth completing- I think I'll go back and do them later.

Jaheira- Lvl 2
Alkinas- Lvl 2
All others- Lvl 1

Should I go to the mines now or try these quests:

-Winter Wolf Pelt
Toquin in the Woods
Prism stole emeralds
-Captain of the Guard (Mad)

Or the Beregost quests... I tried to do the Spider one, but I couldn't find the Inn!
Old September 21, 2001, 18:03   #17
History049
Emperor

Do all of them. It makes the game funner and takes longer to beat, giving you your money's worth, though I bet you burned it

Now for you right now do the Beregost quests first before heading to the mines.
Old September 21, 2001, 22:13   #18
Qilue
King

Local Time: 23:27
This site has some files for customizing BG1/TotSC, BG2/ToB and IWD/HoW/TotL.

http://www.gamers-allegiance.com/

This one has other interesting stuff.

http://members.home.net/mrkevvy/welcome.html

This forum is a good place if you ever get stuck

http://forums.planetbaldursgate.com/

Npcs

If you go to the map west Beregost and then follow the path in a wsw direction, you'll come across a guy standing doing nothing. He is a ranger called Kivan and is one of the better npcs available. He's great in melee and as an archer.

Return to Beregost and go south to Nashkel and near the south side of town, there is a guy with white hair called Minsc, he is a ranger too and is another good npc. Trouble with Minsc is you have to go off to the Gnoll Stronghold (2 maps west and 1 south of Nashkel) to rescue his 'witch' who happens to be a mage npc called Dynaheir. Minsc is a bit of a psycho and his dexterity is kind of low, but on your way to rescuing his witch, you should find an item that fixes that.

Also on the Nashkel map is Edwin. He is an evil npc mage who wants to go kill the above mentioned witch.

Certain npcs in the game are considered a 'pair'. Meaning, you have to have both or neither. However, if one dies (eg, the one you don't want), you can still keep the other. There is a more humane method of splitting pairs. Just move the one you don't want into a building you'll never enter again, and then remove that npc from your party. Montaron/Xzar, Khalid/Jaheira and Minsc/Dynaheir are pairs.

IF you're going to restart, there's a kind of cheesy in-game cheat available in Candlekeep. When you do the party combat practice, take what ever nice items you want off the illusionary npcs and then export your character before leaving the building. Then restart and you will have those items available. Just remember to drop them on the ground before entering the that building.

One happens to be a wand of magic missles which is extremely usefull against that fiend at the Friendly Arm Inn. With it, you can distrupt his spell casting (especially the initial casting of Mirror Image) while Imoen uses her bow to kill him.

You'll encounter other bounty hunters, but that one you are the least prepared to deal with.
Old September 22, 2001, 08:15   #19
Juggler
Prince

Dark Cloud, with your member's experience and levels so low, you won't be able to complete some tasks just yet. Perhaps you stay too close to the roads between the towns. Venture out and explore. That's the most important part of the game. Make sure that every part of your map is explored. And the monsters between Nashkel and Friendly Arms Inn aren't all that hard to beat. With fighters, mages and archers in your party + regular saving of the game it shouldn't be to difficult.
Old September 22, 2001, 15:01   #20
DarkCloud
staff

Thank you Qiule!

I suppose I will investigate the countryside- but 1.) I have no mages, 2) I cannot camp outside and get any sleep 3.) The countryside seems too dangerous- But I shall try!

I just want to get through the game as fast as possible... Then go back and do all the side quests- Is that a smart Idea?

And I bought the game, History049.

Today I bought the expansion pack!
Old September 22, 2001, 16:21   #21
History049
Emperor

The side quests will be super easy if you get thru the game first. And getting thru the game first will be harder without the experience/levels you get from sidequests.

Minsc is a legendary character, his humor, his power, and his dedication make him reappear in Baldur's Gate II as well.
Old September 23, 2001, 08:03   #22
Juggler
Prince

You can camp outside but yes, there is a very big chance that you'll get attacked by monsters - but not always!

You said you bought the expansion pack so you probably meant that you bought Tales of the Sword coast.
I suggest you don't install ToSC just yet (you'll start the game in Ulgoth's beard, I think, which is near Baldur's gate itself and get all these new weapons. In my opinion this ruines the game and makes the whole exploring thing easier). Explore all areas on the original map first, then install ToSC. You get 2 or 3 new areas together with Durlag's tower (completing the tower is probably the toughest quest in the whole game).
Old September 23, 2001, 09:12   #23
Sliparac
Settler

Juggler,

You only start in Ulgoth's beard with über-equipment/levels if you choose to load the "expansion pack save game" (or something like that), not by starting a new game

DarkCloud

The best thing to do now is to gain a few levels, and then do Nashkel Mines or the Gnoll Stronghold, the monsters there are generally easy, although there are many them. Nashkel Mines advances the storyline, Gnoll Stronghold is a sidequest.

About the spider quest in Beregost: you need to go to a house in the southeast of Beregost (it looks more like a wooden shack that's falling apart), you'll prolly need alot of antidote though
Old September 23, 2001, 10:11   #24
Juggler
Prince

I was referring to DarkCloud's game and not to a "new game" but thanks anyway. I played ToSC for only 2 months or so and never really mastered it as BG1.
Old September 23, 2001, 12:15   #25
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:27
"Certain npcs in the game are considered a 'pair'. Meaning, you have to have both or neither. However, if one dies (eg, the one you don't want), you can still keep the other. There is a more humane method of splitting pairs. Just move the one you don't want into a building you'll never enter again, and then remove that npc from your party. Montaron/Xzar, Khalid/Jaheira and Minsc/Dynaheir are pairs. "

That is worth knowing. I can't stand how useless Jaheira is and I want that Ranger that is west of Beregon.

Thanks for the tips/links, guys!
Old September 23, 2001, 15:02   #26
DarkCloud
staff

Jaheira is useless? I have been ressurrecting her and trying to save her! I wasted 2 healing potions on her.

Also, should I kill off Imoen? She always dies, or at least seems to.

-I finally killed the giant spiders.

-Okay, thanks, I'll install the expansion later.
Old September 23, 2001, 15:57   #27
History049
Emperor

Jaherias ok, mostly just a plot character. meaning one that's good for the story.

Imoen is the best thief you'll get in BG1, but shes weak.
Old September 25, 2001, 09:08   #28
Patriqvium
Prince

Local Time: 15:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Dornan
Jaherias ok, mostly just a plot character. meaning one that's good for the story.

Imoen is the best thief you'll get in BG1, but shes weak.
-slight NPC-related spoiler-
Actually, Coran is better in terms of dexterity and he's got THREE stars in bows, making him possibly the best archer in the game. Besides, he's a Fighter/Thief, so he can drink a "strength of 25" potion before backstabbing enemies. Nasty...
Old September 25, 2001, 11:28   #29
Juggler
Prince

The only 2 characters that I had throughout the game were Imoen and Minsc. Others were: a good dwarfs, wizard and priest/paladin.
Old September 25, 2001, 16:06   #30
DarkCloud
staff

Okay, I went to the Nashkel mines...

Jaheira was killed by a wizard when I saved the witch in the circus tent... now I have
-1 cleric LVL 2
-1 thief LVL 2
-1 paladin LVL 2
-1 ranger LVL 1 (Cloud: Main Character)
-1 fighter (khalid) LVL 2

Just wondering- how many levels down do the mines go? I am on level 2.

---Another note: I have been selling all of my death warrants, was that a good Idea? I have been making much gold off the sale of them