Old May 3, 2001, 22:44   #31
Mixam
Warlord

Local Time: 23:57
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I don't think I have ever gotten a nomad b4 laying down a city but I have gotten an advanced tribe b4 laying one. It could be that it was near or after ad because a few times during experimenting I have wandered that long. Sorry I don't recall the date but it can happen
Old May 3, 2001, 23:20   #32
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 18:57
If it was around AD... who knows for sure. Maybe somebody should do some tests... (anybody want to get your name in the GL )

You aren't the first person to claim to have gotten a city around AD.
Old May 3, 2001, 23:28   #33
ColdWizard
Civilization II MultiplayerGameLeagueNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 19:57
i usually prefer a 2 move unit so i can go pop more huts, but settlers are good too.

i've gotten my first city from huts in at least 3 different games and at least 1 was an mp game. i wish i could remember more but with my memory and the length of time i've been away from civ...
Old May 4, 2001, 00:22   #34
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 16:57
horseman of course. within my first 3-5 huts I like a non settler. but that is hard to do sometimes. I'll take elephant of course
Old May 4, 2001, 07:08   #35
East Street Trader
Prince

I went through an entire phase of explore forever on large maps without founding and once, just once out of a lot of games and a very large number of huts, I got an advanced tribe. And it was early, BC for sure.

I remember it because it had no palace and didn't offer me the option to build one. I put a regular city down and it too had no palace nor any option to build.

Seem to remember a post when Xin Yu recounted something similar.

Anyway, I think this is just a bug which surfaces in rare circumstances. The basic rule is clear and as stated.

By the way, I have recently appreciated that the trigger for advanced tribes having more than one citizen and an improvement or several is the tipping player's discovery of Invention. It's a while since I read William Keenan's slot property paper so I can't remember if this has been appreciated before or not.
Old May 4, 2001, 10:10   #36
Juggler
Prince

Local Time: 00:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Exploring huts with planes is much more fun than exploring with land units.

But seriously, can paratroopers explore huts? Never tried it myself.
Old May 4, 2001, 14:01   #37
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 17:57
Yes, paratroopers can tip huts; any land units can. Too bad about air units not being able to collect what's inside, tho. Why is it that you cannot find explorers in huts? That would be the best find of all...

------------------
"There is no fortress impregnable to an ass laden with gold."
-Philip of Macedon
Old May 4, 2001, 14:09   #38
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

quote:

Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq on 05-04-2001 02:01 PM
Why is it that you cannot find explorers in huts? That would be the best find of all...

Yeah, the three movement factor of explorers would be nice early in the game... but I wish we could get diplos/spies from huts. Think of the possibilities
Old May 4, 2001, 17:49   #39
ancient
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by East Street Trader on 05-04-2001 07:08 AM
I went through an entire phase of explore forever on large maps without founding and once, just once out of a lot of games and a very large number of huts, I got an advanced tribe. And it was early, BC for sure.

I remember it because it had no palace and didn't offer me the option to build one. I put a regular city down and it too had no palace nor any option to build.

Seem to remember a post when Xin Yu recounted something similar.

Anyway, I think this is just a bug which surfaces in rare circumstances. The basic rule is clear and as stated.

By the way, I have recently appreciated that the trigger for advanced tribes having more than one citizen and an improvement or several is the tipping player's discovery of Invention. It's a while since I read William Keenan's slot property paper so I can't remember if this has been appreciated before or not.
you have to research something (cant remember what) before you can build a temple

Old May 4, 2001, 20:30   #40
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

ancient - for a Palace you need 'Masonry' for a Temple 'Ceremonial Burial' for Basics of the Game try the Civolopedia
Old May 8, 2001, 14:24   #41
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 19:57
Now bored nearly to tears. Two deity games with all pre B.C years spent exploring, founding no cities. Not one advanced tribe, not one nomad. In second game some of my NON units took a city from the barbs around 200 B.C. As I was already in Monarchy (yes, you can revolt even though you don't actually have anything to govern), it was a good little city, but no Palace and none in the city I then founded. Three or four other tries in this vein, both settlers were killed prior to AD. In both these tries, one had been killed. The AI goes on building, and precipitates barbs, quite without human assistance. Game conditions: SP, deity, raging, seven, large, else = standard. If two complete instances is sufficient, no barbs, no nomads, no advanced tribes, without founding at least one city.
[This message has been edited by Blaupanzer (edited May 08, 2001).]