Old September 16, 2001, 14:40   #1
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 08:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Art?
While indulging on my hobby of screenshot analysis, I noticed a column entitled "Art" in te Culture window... Any chance of enlightenment of this mysterous column? Could it have anything to do with the Great Leaders?
Old September 16, 2001, 14:49   #2
Ralf
King

Local Time: 14:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowstrike
Could it have anything to do with the Great Leaders?
No, I dont think so. Civ-3 has at least two art-techs: Music theory and Free artistry (middle age techs). I also expect some small and great wonders, being art-oriented. The more of them you have and the earlier you get them, the more art-points you get, I guess. These art-points are added up with your overal culture-points obviously.
Old September 17, 2001, 03:56   #3
aaglo
King

Local Time: 16:29
Finally, a recognition to all musicians Two thumbs up
Old September 17, 2001, 11:37   #4
Sandman
King

Well I hope that high culture cities produce art treasures which can be moved about, offered as gifts or trade commodities, stolen by spies (if they are still in the game) and plundered by conquering armies and taken back to their homeland.

I suggest that each artwork will improve happiness in the owning city, increase trade, increase culture and diminish ethnic minorities in conquered cities.

Imagine filling your newly conquered city with art treasures to convince the dissidents of your civilizations superiority!
Old September 17, 2001, 13:58   #5
Tventano
Warlord

In some of the very early screenshots this art column was found. I think it was a method to convert money to culture or so. Probably they have removed this afterwards, because it was not useful, in later screenshots this column is gone.
Old September 17, 2001, 14:18   #6
saracen31
Warlord

Local Time: 13:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman
I suggest that each artwork will improve happiness in the owning city, increase trade, increase culture and diminish ethnic minorities in conquered cities.
Seriously now, if your city in real life got a new painting, would it really have that much effect? I can see some tourism and a little civic pride, but as far as conquered cities are concerned I don't see the impact.

Also seems like too much micromanagement to have spies hauling around artwork. The gift/trade idea is a good one though.
Old September 17, 2001, 14:38   #7
ancient
Prince

Local Time: 08:29
ive been asking this for months now.,.

no answers from anyone,,

Its also listed as a new feature..
Old September 17, 2001, 15:18   #8
Sandman
King

Quote:
Seriously now, if your city in real life got a new painting, would it really have that much effect? I can see some tourism and a little civic pride, but as far as conquered cities are concerned I don't see the impact.
What if that painting was the Mona Lisa? I'm thinking of really important artworks here, not just everyday paintings. Things like the death mask of Tutenkhamen and jewelled eggs.

I'm not saying they should double income or science or anything like that either. Just an extra gold per turn, an extra culture point and an unhappy citizen made content. Nothing game unbalancing. An average player should expect to get only a dozen per game. Moving them doesn't have to be as complicated as loading them onto a spy. Just move them by selecting a new home for them, making sure that there is a road, sea or air link.

Maybe you're right about conquered cities, but it's just an idea.

And what if you could put them in your throne room for your own personal viewing?
Old September 17, 2001, 16:03   #9
saracen31
Warlord

Local Time: 13:29
Quote:
I'm not saying they should double income or science or anything like that either. Just an extra gold per turn, an extra culture point and an unhappy citizen made content. Nothing game unbalancing. An average player should expect to get only a dozen per game. Moving them doesn't have to be as complicated as loading them onto a spy. Just move them by selecting a new home for them, making sure that there is a road, sea or air link.
Good ideas - I wouldn't mind seeing a few great works of art that can influence the game to a small extent. It's nuances like that which make the game fun.
Old September 17, 2001, 21:13   #10
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 05:29
Quote:
What if that painting was the Mona Lisa? I'm thinking of really important artworks here, not just everyday paintings. Things like the death mask of Tutenkhamen and jewelled eggs.

I think that important art works should and do have these effects in real life. I have no clue how these techs are going to be used, but I do remember something about leaders not being just militaristic. That there would be other kinds as well. Don't know how this will play out though.