Old September 20, 2001, 13:36   #31
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Here ye, Here ye....

As for combat! I find the greatest army has a composition of 60% infantry, 20% cavalry and 20%cannons. But that can be unrealistic at times.However never send 100,000 troops with cavalry and only a bit of cannons against 20,000 infantry 10,000 cavalry and 20 cannons. The smaller force will win

There are lots of 'thermopolymaes' and 'singapores' all over again. Small forces WILL DEFEAT you. I have had 7,000 of my men defeat 100,000 low morale enemy troops. Likewise its happened in reserve.

Does anybody know a good (Quick!) way to bring down a large fort?Im thinking maybe 200 cannons at the gate But I dont know for sure..
faded glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2001, 21:01   #32
rwprice
Warlord

Local Time: 08:29
Here's another question for you: how does EU compare with Alpha Centauri? SMAC introduced things like borders, and an improved diplomacy system with unique personalities. Does EU compare favorably in these areas?
rwprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2001, 21:36   #33
Kyle
Prince

Local Time: 09:29
When it comes to borders, EU is the best game out there. Nations are made up of provinces and there are tons of provinces on the map.

The two games are different, so the diplomacy are a bit different. But SMAC's is more thorough.

As for bringing down large forts, lots of cannon and lots and lots of infantry. And keep the troops coming in. Seige for a time then attempt the assault.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2001, 21:42   #34
Kyle
Prince

Local Time: 09:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx

-=Vel=-

PS: Something else to consider - Attrition will nibble your forces any time you move them! Not a lot, mind you, but you'll lose 20-40 guys just by physically relocating your troops! Thus, there IS a very real cost associated with deploying your forces.....if you're constantly marching them from one place to another, your annual losses to attrition (guys that simply wander off) will run into the hundreds!

Indeed. If you check your losses, 9 times out of 10, the vast majority of your troop losses will be due to attrition.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2001, 07:35   #35
Jools
King

Local Time: 13:29
EU is not comparable to any CIV type game. In EU you concentrate on warmongering, diplomacy, colonising. You have religion, attrition rebellions and civil wars.

The only thing that bugs me about EU is that ruling your country is SO DAMN BORING. I usually wait for a new good leader to come around and wage war. It's the only fun that way.

FOR EU2 SCREENSHOTS:

http://www.europa-universalis.com/eu2.asp
Jools is offline   Reply With Quote