Old September 18, 2001, 10:21   #1
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 13:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What did I miss?!
Back from the extended vacation, but before I could c'mon back here, I was distracted away by the awful business of the 11th.

Back now...so what'd I miss?!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old September 18, 2001, 10:37   #2
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Welcome back!

There are new RP PBEM games starting in multiplayer.

Hydro
Old September 18, 2001, 10:45   #3
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

'lo brother Hydro! Glad to see some familiar faces! Just gave the threads a cursory looking through, but there are waaaay too many of them to catch up all in one day...wow....it always amazes me just how active this place is, given the age of the old gal....that's good news indeed!

Also, excellent news 'bout the RP games! I can only imagine what kind of turbulence THAT's causing in-game! WhoooHoooo!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old September 18, 2001, 14:28   #4
Fitz
King

Local Time: 05:32
Hey Vel, did you ever get a chance to play the anti-micromanager scenario? Where you use governers and automate formers?

I never did finish my first game using Doctrine Defense due to RL impositions on my time, but maybe I'll bust out the save today and see if ole Domai can finish the concept.
Old September 19, 2001, 11:33   #5
TeknoMerc
Chieftain

I've been posting my version of the Torture Mod over on the Creation forum. let me know what you think.

BTW, I just thought of even more new units: how about Enhanced Mindworms, Enhanced IoD, Enahnced Sealurks, Enhanced Locusts -- same units with Trance and Empath Song abilities. just when you thought Planet couldn't get any madder....
Old September 19, 2001, 12:49   #6
Velociryx
staff

Hey guys! Fitz, I'm sorry to say that I've not yet done the anti-Micromanager thing yet, but it's on my list!

And Techno! Good news indeed! I'll head over that direction and have a look!

-=Vel=-
Old September 19, 2001, 14:19   #7
Avenoct
Prince

Local Time: 08:32
Hiya Vel, and welcome back.

Things that you missed:
We had a thread at some point about your tome of wisdom being available or referred to in a computer magazine. How's that been?

Googlie's set up some roleplaying MP's and in general MP is getting so popular that people's posts for games wanted or offered are getting bumped away in a matter of hours. Also, the succession-game series continues. Right now we're playing a no-crawlers succession game.

Lots of scenarios popping up, though none yet with the interest that Tokamak's Smackdown had.

Aldebaran is finished, so hence, it's dead . not a peep of interest lately.

As you can see, the Apolyton mania over CIV 3 is growing like an outbreak. There are A LOT of expectant people 'round here.

Someone developed the ultimate strategy for SMAC, but their post was eaten by a dog. Actually, not a whole lot of nitty-gritty strategy discussion lately.

Again, Welcome back, and Congratulations on navigating the publishing of the bible of Smacdom.

-Smack
Old September 19, 2001, 14:40   #8
Velociryx
staff

Thank you Sir Smack! Hmmm....a mention of the guide? VERY cool! I shall have to dig thrul those threads and see what's what with that~! That's awesome!

And, now that I'm settled back into the ol' homestead, I'll break out the latest and greatest Aldeb and re-familiarize myself with it!

Good to hear about Brother Googlie and the MP games! Awesome! It seems then, that SMACdom has moved from strat discussions to MP...but that is as it should be. We oldsters can hang out here and answer any questions from those who might wander this way....and of course, with the general slowdown in traffic, perhaps it's time to delve more deeply into EU....::grin::

As to the SMAX guide. Once more, I've been told by the publisher that it's...any day now....and once more, I've got no final galley. Not sure what the delay is, but my repeated e-mails all net the same "almost ready" response. GRRRR

So...to quote from those e-mails...."should be any day now!"

-=Vel=-
Old September 19, 2001, 14:53   #9
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 06:32
Vel:

Welcome back from the extended vacation - anywhere exotic, or just hanging out?

As Smack says, fairly quiet on the strategy discussion front (maybe it's like the US patents office in 1898 - everything that's going to be discovered already has)

I've had some fun building single-player scenarios - using the concept of master-slave for some to try and get a stronger AI - worked only too well in a couple (one I played out had tyhe Hive cornering the energy market - I was Gaia, I believe, and got nowhere against the juiced up AI)

I started a website to hang scenarios and SP games on, so that people could download one when they were waiting for their PBEM turns - also put on it an old zsozso one and a trevathian one as well.

It's:

http://googlie2.tripod.com/rynnsgallery/

My current scenario tinkering is to create diplo choice for a singleplayer between a Caretaker/Aki/Santiago faction (with Aki being the enslaved researcher and Corrie the enslaved 'muscle' and a Usurper led trio of Zak and Yang. Playing against these consortiums as the Drones, or Dee or the PKs is a real challenge.

But like most, we've been playing the odd CivII game in preparation for CivIII's arrival on the scene.

Good to have you back

G.
Old September 19, 2001, 15:15   #10
Avenoct
Prince

Vel,

EU? Don't tell me you're buying up Euro's? Can't place the name.

-Smack
Old September 19, 2001, 15:42   #11
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Vel:

check out the CivCenter website - they are looking for a strategy guide to be developed for Civ III:

CivCenter is looking for Strategy Writers

September 17, 2001, 09:15 CET | Posted by Martin

We're currently looking for two talented strategy writers who will write official CivCenter strategies for Civilization III when it is released.

The link is:

http://www.sngaming.com/civ3/

G.

Last edited by Googlie; September 19, 2001 at 22:17.
Old September 19, 2001, 17:05   #12
Velociryx
staff

Hey hey! And thank ya, Brother Googlie, for the info. on the need for Strat Guide writers! WhoooHoooo!

Just tried the link tho....it takes me to the 'polyton reply screen for this thread?

How has everyone been getting along, post-cowardly-attack-on-the-civilized-world?

As to vacation....'twas a little of both....mostly, it amounted to spending a number of days at a cozy bed and breakfast, indulging in sleeping in, some writing, a bit of wandering in the woods, and letting my hair grow out...well, what's LEFT of my hair anyways...

Got back from my self-imposed, sanity-preserving asylum to find that, in my absence, we had been brutally attacked!

Hmmm....the CivCenter...are they affiliated with 'poly in any way?

LOL...ahhhh yes, I can see by the rambling nature of this thread that I'm back to my old self....coherent....sorta....rambling on for a moment about first one thing, and then some other....'tis good to be me again....

::a scuffling noise behind him::

No wait! I wasn't finish.....*

We're sorry for interrupting this message, but we've taken Vel back to the Happy Valley Facility for Those-Who-Have-Played-Too-Much-SMAC, where he will resume his prescribed course of treatment at once....now back to our regularly scheduled programming....

-V.
Old September 19, 2001, 17:08   #13
Velociryx
staff

D'oh! Escaped from the padded van long enough to type one more sentence!

EU = Europa Universalis!

-=Vel=-
Old September 19, 2001, 17:16   #14
Avenoct
Prince

Europa Universalis, thanks....

"Pssst..hey Vel, I've got a copy of SMAC I can ftp to the Happy Valley president's office..think you can comandeer the machine?"

-Smack
Old September 19, 2001, 22:15   #15
Googlie
Emperor

Hmmm:

link should be:

http://www.sngaming.com/civ3/

I've changed it in the earlier post as well

G.