Old September 18, 2001, 15:22   #1
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
MPS, Firaxis, PLEASE GIVE US SOURCE CODE
Can you guys please release the source code? There are so many things that I'd like to try with it.

The list

Hex Map (possibly a globe configuration)
Impassible Rivers
Adding Commodities (colonization style)
Allocate actual population instead of City Size
Change Tile Improvements
Change movement behaviors
A new Direct 3D based combat system
Changing Time Flow
Changing Tech system

These are just a few things I'd like to try, but I can't because I don't have the source code. What about Colonization's source code at least?

Prettypleasewithsugarontop?

Last edited by Sava; September 18, 2001 at 19:05.
Old September 19, 2001, 11:01   #2
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 15:33
Nice try, SA. Something tells me it's not gonna fly
Old September 20, 2001, 04:31   #3
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Itīs not gonna happen.

(by the way, sorry for not replying to your last mail yet, Iīm working on it... if Hotmail will let me)
Old September 20, 2001, 11:46   #4
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 07:33
I've sometimes wondered (not being a computer kinda guy) why you can't just open up a program and read the code?
Old September 20, 2001, 12:31   #5
Mercator
Emperor

If you open a program you see the compiled code. The compiled code is a program in some computer language turned into computer language, basically, which mostly comes down to simple operations such as addition, logical OR, logical AND and such.
In principle itīs possible to reverse engineer this code, back into program code, but still the whole structure of the original program is lost into those simpe operations, the only advantage of that code over the compild code is that itīs better readable than just a bunch of numbers.
Old September 20, 2001, 15:21   #6
Goingonit
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercator
If you open a program you see the compiled code. The compiled code is a program in some computer language turned into computer language, basically, which mostly comes down to simple operations such as addition, logical OR, logical AND and such.
In principle itīs possible to reverse engineer this code, back into program code, but still the whole structure of the original program is lost into those simpe operations, the only advantage of that code over the compild code is that itīs better readable than just a bunch of numbers.
Of course. If you wanted to see the program in basic ASM, you could. However, it would be hard to find the right sections of the code, let alone change them.
Old September 20, 2001, 17:07   #7
Mercator
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Goingonit
Of course. If you wanted to see the program in basic ASM, you could. However, it would be hard to find the right sections of the code, let alone change them.
I believe there are people who can actually read assembly language like normal code. But indeed, itīs practically impossible. Itīs pretty much like looking at a human one cell at a time and trying to figure out how he works.
Old September 20, 2001, 19:04   #8
civcop
Chieftain

What about...
Can't you alter a couple on that list? For instance, can't commodities be changed in the rules.txt? And can't you alter the tech arrangement via the tech tree? Sorry if this appears idiotic but I was under the impression that those two items could be played with.
Old September 20, 2001, 19:13   #9
Goingonit
Warlord

Re: What about...
Quote:
Originally posted by civcop
Can't you alter a couple on that list? For instance, can't commodities be changed in the rules.txt? And can't you alter the tech arrangement via the tech tree? Sorry if this appears idiotic but I was under the impression that those two items could be played with.
What he means about commodities is to be able to produce them and either use them for building stuff or sell them on the world market - a much more useful model than is currently implemented.

And about techs, I believe he meant using a whole different tech model - not just changing the individual techs.

Am I right?
Old September 22, 2001, 05:58   #10
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Re: What about...
Quote:
Originally posted by civcop
Can't you alter a couple on that list? For instance, can't commodities be changed in the rules.txt?
I don't want to change just the names, you need to have played Colonization to understand what I'm talking about.

Quote:
And can't you alter the tech arrangement via the tech tree? Sorry if this appears idiotic but I was under the impression that those two items could be played with.
I'm not talking about tech arrangement, I'm talking about changing scientific research from trade = science, to having an AOE like division of science.

Blacksmiths, weapon workshops, and inventors would make breakthroughs in weapon technology.

People would develop Agricultural technology in a seperate area.

Naval technology would be seperate.

Beginning to see my point?

I want somewhat of a simultaneous research program, but I don't want it to be a constant 10 turns = next breakthrough. I'm working on a few different types of models. I'll post the general concepts later.

I'm writing a game purely from scratch write now, so I'm not going to need Civ's code anymore. I'm first working on a SMAC like terrain generator where the player generates land (elevation and depth) or the computer randomly creates a landform, and then the player selects different fields (rainfall, avg temp, age of planet) and then the terrain is automatically generated based on those fields. I believe I posted in the Civ3 under "What about source code, Firaxis?" the exact explanation of this part.

The other thing I was thinking about, was having a scalable map. What I mean, is that you wouldn't just have one view of the map. You would only see detailed terrain when you were zoomed in at a certain level. I'm still at the very beginning stages of writing this, so bear with me. Also, if anyone has any ideas on how they would prefer a view of the map, post them here.