Old September 18, 2001, 20:23   #1
TechWins
King

Local Time: 06:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
My Pre-Order Box of Civ3: Ineresting Tid Bits of Info
Tonight I have bought the pre-order for Civ3 from Best Buy. With it came a making of Civ3 video that was over 7 minutes long. I’m going to share this video with all of you over the next few days. I’m not sure how to take screenshots from WMP, if anybody knows I’ll gladly do so. Here’s just a little info I scurried up.

Screen 1-

Pre-Requisites

Advanced Flight Oil
Rubber

Stats
Offensive Power: 0 Cargo Capacity: 2
Defensive Power: 4
Operational Range: 4
Cost: 80 [insert shield sign]

Abilities
Radar, Immobile, Carry foot units only

Screen 2

Pre-Requisites

Replaceable Parts

Enables
Mass Transit System, SS ……………, A……., Helicopter, M……,
Mech Infantry, Modern Armor, Panzer, Paratrooper, and Tank

Tile Bonus
+0 [Food] +0 [Production] +2 [Trade]

Rubber was a common resource for the Indians of Central America and South
America since well before Columbus landed in the new world. The ………(don’t know at all)…… allowed waterproof shoes, playing balls,….(don’t know anymore)…….

Screen 3-

[There’s a city screen viewing and it shows how much each building is providing in culture by having little music note symbols. There is also a smile under certain building for what I think is providing happiness. Another symbol being used is something I can’t recognize what the object is. My stars will be what are the music note icons in the video and my # will be for a smile, for the UO (unknown object) I will use ?. Some of my depictions may be wrong, though, as the picture is being distorted (if cut off from screen I did not mention it, example Sam Missile Batter).]

Palace - **
Barracks –
Granary –
Temple - # ****
Marketplace –
Library - *******
Courthouse –
Bank - ??
Cathedral - ?? ### *******
University - ?? ***
Colosseum - ?? ## ****
Hydro Plant –
Hospital - ??
Research Lab - ?? **
Sam Missile Batter - ??
Airport - ??
Police Station - ??
The Great Library – (Really weird looking *, possibly a lot of *’s meshed into one)
Newton’s University - *******
Military Academy - *

Some more buildings found in other screens are: (no special in this one ,though)
Barracks
Granary
Temple
Walls
Wealth

Under another city screen view I saw the temple differently, Temple - ? # **

Something I would like to note is that the screenshot we saw recently where it showed the process of customizing a map was real.

This unit is something I’m curious about - Jaguar W……. I was in it a terrain info screen where the unit of Spearmen was being shown in text too. There was also another terrain info screen which showed the musketmen (? 2/4/2 ?), the swordsmen, and the pikemen.

I saw this piece of info - Despotism
Normalcy
This might have come from the domestic advisor screen; sorry that I can’t elaborate more on that but I’m just as much in the dark as you are in this one.

Well, for now that’s all I’m going to critique because I have to start my homework soon and I want to post here for awhile. I’m going to try tomorrow to type all the words spoken by the Firaxians in the video. Sorry about the poor clearity of writing. I was just jotting down notes from the video.

My opinion:
I'm glad to see the airplane transport. The Despotism and Normalcy siting makes me very curious. As well as does the Jaguar W..... unit. The game looks awesome, though. There's some funny stories in the video too. About the game, though, the graphics, sounds, and animations appear to go very well with the game. I think this is going to be better than what we even thought it might be.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old September 18, 2001, 20:40   #2
Stromprophet
Warlord

Local Time: 07:34
Good job. Did you pause this while watching to take notes? I have the movie but I didn't see all that.

It is nice to see all the leader animations on the back(of box). Except the greeks aren't there. I'm curious as to why.
Old September 18, 2001, 20:51   #3
TechWins
King

Quote:
Good job. Did you pause this while watching to take notes? I have the movie but I didn't see all that.
Thanks, that's nice of you to say. Yes, I did pause on certain points in the video where I could possibly see some info and I took notes as best I could. After I got done with the notes I re-fined the writing a little. Isn't the movie awesome?

Quote:
It is nice to see all the leader animations on the back(of box). Except the greeks aren't there. I'm curious as to why.
Yeah, all the leaders do look very good. It is strange why they left out the Greeks. Will you help me on determining who each leader is? I don't know much in that aspect.

Persian leader - Joan - Japanese guy - Zulus leader - Catherine?
? - Aztec leader - Mao - Liz - Julius
Iroquis leader - Babylonian - Gandhi - Cleo - Abe
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old September 18, 2001, 20:56   #4
Stromprophet
Warlord

The movie is soooooooooo sweet. I can see the interaction of the whole screen. It's alive with action, I mean your units aren't just sitting there, they're moving all at once, or just moving like workers, are using shovels, or your knights are actually moving while they stand in place.

I was pleasently surprised to see that the programmer was so into the game that he played till 5 am and ignored his work.

That's when you know the game is good. When someone who builds the game plays it and says there is no other game as addictive as this game.
Old September 18, 2001, 21:00   #5
TechWins
King

Quote:
I was pleasently surprised to see that the programmer was so into the game that he played till 5 am and ignored his work
Yeah, I that was pretty funny too. Good to see how much Firaxis likes the game. Think how much we will all like the game...Ahhh drewling all over self.

I was impressed with the battle animations. That was very entertaining to say the least. Again think how great it will be when we play the game. Ahhhh....Dammit I have to stop drewling all over myself.
Old September 18, 2001, 21:03   #6
Stromprophet
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins

Persian leader - Joan - Japanese guy - Zulus leader - Catherine?
? - Aztec leader - Mao - Liz - Julius
Iroquis leader - Babylonian - Gandhi - Cleo - Abe
You can find 5 or 6 of them in the Civ of the Week at www.civ3.com, they show pics of units, animation gifs, and info about the civ.

They also have something I found interesting at the Civfanatics site that shows all the civs specific abilities. It's under updated info.

ok, Xerxes, Joan of Arc, Japanese man, Shaka(who else would it be), Yeah Catherine, Montezuma(should be him), Mao, Liz, Ceaser, Hiawatha(this I found out from a negotiation screen between Iriqious and Americans), Hammurabi, Ghandi, Cleo, Abe, and of course Alexander who isn't there.
Old September 18, 2001, 21:23   #7
Toadboy
Settler

I'd appreciate a link if the movie is available anywhere on line.

Thanks,
JR
Old September 18, 2001, 21:38   #8
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Could Firaxis be changing the pic of Alexander after lots of people at Apolyton complained? They listened to us about Cleopatra...
Old September 18, 2001, 21:39   #9
Stromprophet
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Toadboy
I'd appreciate a link if the movie is available anywhere on line.

Thanks,
JR
I have not seen it online yet.
Old September 19, 2001, 00:09   #10
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Thanks for the info, Techwins

Now ill throw in some speculation of my own...

Im guessing that the # (smilies) represent the number of content citizens that building makes (makes sense, as they are on buildings like the temple, cathedral and colosseum)
The * (notes) i suspect represent culture that that building generates. We already know that the palace and temples generate culture, and the others (library, uni, happiness buildings, etc) also make sense.
Cant think of anything for the ?? icon... unless it represents trade that the city generates (by tourists and such). Could make sense, but this one i wouldn't bet any money on

What do you think??
Old September 19, 2001, 04:18   #11
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:34
Jaguar W....
I think you have inadvertantly stumbled across the Aztec special unit, which would be the Jaguar Warrior...nice one sir Any chance of a picture of it at any point?

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old September 19, 2001, 05:31   #12
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 09:34
AHHH!!!! HOW COME I DIDN"T GET A PREORDER BOX!!!!
**** you too babbages !!!
goddammit, can one of you get markg to put it online, downloadable from apolyton!?!? that would be awesome...
PLEASE MARKG HEAR ME!!!
i really need this movie!! lol
but really i believe it would be really really cool if we could download it from apolyton.. hint hint.... please?
Old September 19, 2001, 06:00   #13
Didymus
lifer
Warlord

Local Time: 08:34
Any reason why the unknown symbols couldn't be the upkeeep (2 gold coins = costs 2/turn) ?
John 6:68
Old September 19, 2001, 06:33   #14
Wexu
Warlord

Local Time: 15:34
Quote:
I’m not sure how to take screenshots from WMP, if anybody knows I’ll gladly do so.
One way is to hit 'print screen' -button while watching the movie and then paste it (Ctrl+v) to Windows' Paint or some other paint program. I think..
Old September 19, 2001, 07:36   #15
KrazyHorse
Deity

Aren't you supposed to hit "alt+printscreen"?

Edit, edit, edit:
I'm taking all the credit!
Get Rich or Die Tryin'

Last edited by KrazyHorse; September 19, 2001 at 07:46.
Old September 19, 2001, 07:37   #16
LancerSH
Settler

Jaguar W ???
*doh* didn't see the post about this earlier...anywho...that is correct... O:-)
I believe that what you mentioned as the Jaguar W is the Jaguar Warrior
It was a very elite Aztec swordsman type unit... If any of you have the Expansion to AOE2, you can see it there.

Cordially,
another Civ-fan.

P.S. Thank goodness UPS is not running too late
Old September 19, 2001, 07:43   #17
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

To get screens use Alt + Print Screen and then paste and save.
You may get a black window, if so resize the animation window just a little and it will work (does so for me).
Old September 19, 2001, 07:46   #18
KrazyHorse
Deity

You're right. Editing my previous post so as not to confuse.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old September 19, 2001, 08:01   #19
Wexu
Warlord

SO, give us the goddamn screenshots now!
Old September 19, 2001, 08:26   #20
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyller
Could Firaxis be changing the pic of Alexander after lots of people at Apolyton complained? They listened to us about Cleopatra...
I think you're on to something. For those who don't know, some say that Alexander had long hair but in the pic he has short hair. Of course, this would take more editing than Cleo's skin tone, so it may be a while before we see the new Alex.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old September 19, 2001, 09:52   #21
Roland Ehnström
Chieftain

I guess this screen shows what you are reffering to as ?, # and * http://bonusweb.cz/obrazek.html?obra...tion3_scr2.jpg

My guess is that the ? symbol stands for upkeep, as mentioned before in this thread.

-- Roland
Old September 19, 2001, 10:14   #22
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

In that screenshot, seeing as how the ? icon also appears next to the commerce, I assume it is upkeep. Well, looking at it more closely, it seems to be a red vesion of whatever commerce is being transferred to gold and science. Is it a stack of coins?
Old September 19, 2001, 10:39   #23
Haphazard
Warlord

Local Time: 13:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Didymus
Any reason why the unknown symbols couldn't be the upkeeep (2 gold coins = costs 2/turn) ?
I was going to suggest that. It fits as only the more advanced improvements have an unkeep cost, although 2 seems a little low, and is it the same for /all/ improvements?

The ? on the unit stats could be the monetary upkeep costs for units. An Armour unit will probably cost more than the 1 gold / turn for musketeers.
Old September 19, 2001, 10:45   #24
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 08:34
if you can get me the video i can extract screenshots and maybe even mirror it for you (since the WTC incident, some people can't see my site, www.meeee.com/krux )
Old September 19, 2001, 12:34   #25
Haphazard
Warlord

Local Time: 13:34
Oh, and that Despotism/Normalcy might be referring to the state of the economy after Nationalism, ie War / Normalcy / Peace with the bonus and penalties attached to them (+/- 50% Production to peace/war building)
Old September 19, 2001, 13:06   #26
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Sounds Awesome
I agree, re: all the sniping over things. Everything I've seen so far has me impressed, and what you guys say about the video is making me absolutely hysterical with anticipation. I've warned friends that if they want to spend time with me, better do it before October 16. After that, social life ends for me.

Did the video have any sounds from the game or music clips? I'm really intrigued about that. I have no problem admitting the outrageously dorky fact that I have put together my own soundtracks for Civ that depend on what era I'm in and what civilization I'm playing.

BG
Old September 19, 2001, 13:14   #27
JellyDonut
Prince

Re: Sounds Awesome
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
I've warned friends that if they want to spend time with me, better do it before October 16. After that, social life ends for me.
BG
Oct. 16? Hardly! The game distributors use early dates like that in the beginning and quietly and slowly push the date back until it's released. It's already back to Oct. 30. Not to mention Firaxis still hasn't said a word about the release date.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old September 19, 2001, 13:41   #28
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

I hope against hope, my friend. It's happened before where games I've been waiting for have actually been released before the projected date, a nice surprise to the customers. Who knows? Anything is possible.

I will cross my fingers, click my heels, etc. until then.

BG
Old September 19, 2001, 14:16   #29
java4me
Warlord

Local Time: 05:34
How did you get the video?

I preordered, and I didn't get the video!!!
Old September 19, 2001, 15:42   #30
TechWins
King

Quote:
SO, give us the goddamn screenshots now!
Shut the hell up, I actually have responsibilites I have to take care of, such as school.

Quote:
Oh, and that Despotism/Normalcy might be referring to the state of the economy after Nationalism
That makes sense but it is a little strange. The strange part is that Despotims would be a Civ's gov even when they have reached the tech of Nationalism. It probably is the gov first then state of economy like you mentioned, though.

Quote:
My guess is that the ? symbol stands for upkeep, as mentioned before in this thread.
Well then that means several improvements aren't requiring an upkeep. Plus, a building will require in an upkeep at various time because in certain screens the temple has the " ? " symbol, while in other screens the temple doesn't have the " ? " symbol.

Quote:
Did the video have any sounds from the game or music clips?
Yes, the video did include sounds, which were very good; the video also contained some talking about the sound aspect of the game.

Quote:
I preordered, and I didn't get the video!!!
Did you pre-order online or did you pre-order the game at a retail store? You only get the pre-order box, which contains "Making of Civ3" video, at a retail store, such as Best Buy.

Quote:
if you can get me the video
Either by tonight or tomorrow the video will be at Apolyton. I'm going to be sending the files to DanQ, as soon as I figure how to send the video as a file. Could somebody explain? Man, I sound like a really big idiot when it comes to computers as of late but I'm really not at all.

Screenshot was deleted because of being in BMP and not JPEG. All new screenshots will be done in JPEG. I'm sorry if ths is an inconvenience to you.

Last edited by TechWins; September 19, 2001 at 17:09.