Old September 19, 2001, 09:59   #1
Phutnote
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Questions re: AI, useless units, and game Statistics
I played a game of Civ II recently and was looking at the defense minister casualty stats, and I noticed that they cap out at 255 units, and that the stats were no longer kept after the game ends.

Will the stats continue to compile after the final score if you continue to play in Civ III? I wanted to finish off the AI after the official time limit, and having the stats accumulated doing that is an added trivia bonus.

Speaking of stats, they're great. I love stats. The more stats the merrier, I say: will there be more in Civ III?

Also noticed (just too much spare time at the moment) that the AI focused an immense amount of production power on creating useless units like destroyers (the 3 big AI civs had all maxed out 255 lost destroyers), helicopters (one attack per turn, slow, expensive, and easy to kill --- again, all maxed out at 255), and (subjective here) Stealth Bombers (one attack every other turn, not as powerful as cheaper howitzers, easy to shoot down --- lots, but not all maxed before game end).

Will there be a statistic cap in Civ III?

Have unit strengths been either readjusted to make the useless units more useful, or has the AI been streamlined to avoid heavy production of units that, well, suck?

I would have been in much more trouble on my little island if the AI had produced more Aegis cruisers (it DID produce a hell of a lot of them as it was) rather than destroyers. And helicopters? Shot down by the dozen, don't think one ever reached one of my cities to actually attack it.

Also have noted in the past that the Zulus and the Mongols do exceptionately well on Diety compared to most other civs (they expand fast, like the so called ICS). Will there be leader personalities in Civ III? If so, will they all be able to compete with each other? Will you have the sense that you are up against the pacifist Ghandi or the warmonger Bismark? Will leaders have any quirks?

Questions, questions.

Phutnote