Old September 19, 2001, 12:07   #1
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Local Time: 08:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Unit Specific Kills
I realize that it's a little late to be coming up with new ideas, but these are just coming to me, so I'm throwing it at you.

There should be units that are good at killing specific units, but totally ineffective at killing others.

For example, I've been reading that some people think that the helicopter is useless because it's expensive and you can build better things like a stealth bomber, or something of that nature. But, what if the Stealth bomber was made completely useless against ground troops, but effective against cities? What if the Battleship was useless against a sub, making a destroyer necessary (was that implemented already in Civ II?)? What if a tank was very effective against other hard targets, but less effective against troops? Artillery that does no harm to a tank, but will obliterate any troops.

What do you think? It would be more like Starcraft in the sense that every unit would be important. Adds to Strategy, play-balancing, fun, etc.
Old September 19, 2001, 14:12   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

it does make sense, but again too late.
Old September 19, 2001, 14:15   #3
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Toa certain degree, this was implemented with Civ2 special abilities (pikemen, AGEIS cruiser, fighter, etc.) and also with hit points and firepower in Civ2. I expect things like this to be in Civ3, but for anything else I think you are too late.
Old September 19, 2001, 15:31   #4
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 09:35
good idea, but it would have to be limited to a few units, or else it would be too AoE II

ps will the pikeman be doubled defense against babylonian bowman? that wouldnt make sense ...
Old September 19, 2001, 16:58   #5
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007
ps will the pikeman be doubled defense against babylonian bowman? that wouldnt make sense ...
That's a good question... Of course, maybe Firaxis just added a "tag" saying that "this unit is a horse unit" into each mounted unit, so that the pikeman bonus just applies to actual horse units... Or maybe it'll be wak like CTP which didn't give the pikeman any special bonus at all.