Old September 19, 2001, 21:48   #1
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 06:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Turns of RP3 (Role Play Three)
This is a SMAC v4.0 game

Settings: Huge planet, abundant native life, average everything else.

Other settings: Standard (includes Unity Pod scattering - Believers severly disadvantaged in 50 years playtest without tech-popping capability.)

Additional rules:

1) A faction may not use any advanced SE setting that conflicts with its agenda.

Agendas (Choices) and Aversions (for those who don’t know these by heart):

Peacekeepers – agenda Democracy, aversion Police State
Hive – agenda Police State, aversion Democracy
Gaians – agenda Green , aversion Free Market
Believers – agenda Fundamentalist, aversion Knowledge
UoP – agenda Knowledge, aversion Fundamentalism
Morgan – agenda Free Market, aversion Planned
Spartans – agenda Power, aversion Wealth

Here is a run-down on the basic rules of incompatible agendas (miss-matched SE agenda or aversion):
* You may NOT pact with a faction that has an incompatible SE objective. For instance, the PKs could not pact with the Hive since the basis for their societies are too different.
* You may NOT pact with a faction that has a SE selection that your faction has an aversion to. For example, the Gaians could not pact with the UoP if they had a SE of free market.
* You may treaty with a faction that has an incompatible agenda or SE, but there has to be a very good reason for this. This rationale would be explained in a post to the other RP players, or in a storyline (like I did in RP1).
* If a faction with an incompatible agenda also has an incompatible SE selection then you may not have more than a truce. For instance, if Morgan is running FM, then the Gaians could only be at truce or war with them. If he later switches to Green (!!) then the Gaians could have a treaty of friendship with Morgan (for as long as THAT would last…) but not a pact.
* Likewise, if a faction has a SE that is on your agenda you should be friendly to them. The extent of that friendship is, however, up to the faction leader.

So, here are the following factions that can not EVER pact:
* Gaians-Morgan (Gaians hate FM)
* PKs-Hive (PKs hate Police, Hive hates Democracy)
* Believers-UoP (Believers hate Knowledge)
* Sparta-everyone (just kidding…)
(The Gaian agenda of Democracy is debatable. If she has an agenda of Green and Democracy then Dee couldn’t pact with either Yang or Morgan

2) A faction may not win a cooperative victory with another faction with an incompatible agenda. In this particular game, this means that the Hive may not win a cooperative victory with the Peacekeepers.

3) Research settings: Factions emphasize their "default" interests when researching.

(The default interests are:
Gaians: Explore
Peacekeepers: Explore, Discover
Hive: Conquer, Build
Morgan: Build
Spartans: Discover, Conquer
University: Discover
Believers: Explore, Conquer)

4) No cheats. Refer to the various cheats threads if you are unsure, or pose a question here. Allowable variants from the usual 'Poly list are:

reverse engineering (except probe to rover),
Design Workshop upgrades,
and stockpile insert after military unit

5) This is a role-playing-oriented game, so play your faction to the hilt, and don't worry too much about winning!

Players, in turn order:

Gaians - SITS
Hive - Christmann
University - Mark13
Morgan - Ironwood
Sparta - Black Sunrise
Believers - Qantaga
Peacekeepers - Dilithium Dad

G.

Last edited by Googlie; October 30, 2001 at 19:00.
Old September 20, 2001, 03:02   #2
SITS
King

Local Time: 13:36
This isn't Earth. This isn't Earth. It is a concept I need to keep in my thoughts as I see Planet for the first time. It is tempting to compare everything to the green life that grew on that distant place I once called home. Home is here now and I try to look with untainted eyes, to cherish the beauty of what I see. What do I see?

I see a river that turns on itself, hills of pink fighting against the glimpse of green. Green - it brings tears of homesickness to my eyes - even to the point of hating the pink, wanting to destroy it. But then I step out into the pink mass where a portion of the Unity has crashed and seared the landscape and I kneel down to look closely at the charred ends and reach my hand out and I'm shocked as the this fungus moves away from me. I think for a moment and shift my weight to find myself on top of the fungus. I close my eyes so I can look carefully. I reach out and see and hear the suffering, the hole where the pod had landed, the hole it had burnt. We had caused this life pain and I weep. I've realised that life isn't always green and my shame is immense. I will carry this message forth to other survivors, if there are some. That Planet is alive. And we must love it. Enlightenment.

Turn 2101 to Christmann
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old September 20, 2001, 06:07   #3
Christmann
Chieftain

Turn 2101 to Mark13.
Always shall your honor and your name and your fame endure.
Old September 20, 2001, 06:24   #4
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

2101 to Scipio

---------------

It was the coldness that struck him. Of course, he has been in a thousand Planetfall simulations....but this was the eerie reality of it all. A cold burning sensation filled his stomach - and whilst he knew there was no apparent danger to either he or his followers, the magnitude of the task ahead seemed improbable.
Old September 20, 2001, 10:45   #5
Scipio Centaurus
Prince

2101 to Arima

------------------

"... one hundred seven... one hundred eight... one hundred nine... one hundred ten!", the CEO counted to himself.

The well-worn leather upholstery on his swivel chair creaked as CEO Scipio Centaurus leaned forward and held the last of the coins up close to the desk lamp to take a closer look. He smiled as he admired the engraving detail on the flowing gown of Lady Liberty on the obverse facing of the one ounce American Eagle gold bullion coin. As he twisted the coin slightly, the light reflected off of the coin in a mesmerising clockwise rotating cartwheel pattern of brilliant orange-yellow lustor. St. Gaudans - the sculptor who had engraved this design - had been a genius without parallel.

"Too bad the industrial nations of Earth had moved away from coin and currency in the middle of the twenty-first century. But then again, that just makes these uncirculated specimens worth all that much more.", thought the CEO.

These treasures, smuggled aboard the Unity at some loss of life, would become the backbone for the fledgling Industrial Alliance's monetary system - at least initially.

The CEO had some ideas about a more advanced monetary system based on production of energy. The system had been tried before in the early years of the twenty-first century in the United States, but it had collapsed due to excessive regulation in the commodities markets. He would not permit that mistake to be repeated. Scipio looked forward to meeting again with CFO Derek Roberts to continue their discussions along those line

His executive assistant poked her head in through the doorway to his office and reminded him of the upcoming Board meeting.

The CEO put the coins back into the desk vault, and reached into the mahogeny humidor for a cigar...

"The directors would surely not begrudge him a few extra moments for that luxury."
Old September 20, 2001, 11:48   #6
Christmann
Chieftain

I regret to inform you all that I won't be home from friday morning to sunday evening. (European Middle Time).
Googlie if you want to it would be great if you could play my turns?

Last edited by Christmann; September 20, 2001 at 11:53.
Old September 20, 2001, 12:02   #7
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

No problem

SITS:

As the Gaians, sending to the Hive, send to me at linfrew@aol.com

G.
Old September 20, 2001, 12:53   #8
Arima
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:36
Turn passed to Qantaga.

Sorry for the tamper message... I initally opened it using a mod that I was playing.

As I awaken, I notice the vast oceans and mountains of Chiron. I start to analyze the similarities and differences to combat in Earth, and I smile: even on this alien world, tactical and military control remains essential. I'll make sure the entirety of the Unity crew realizes that.
Old September 20, 2001, 14:14   #9
SITS
King

Googlie - Noted
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old September 20, 2001, 18:29   #10
Qantaga
King

2101 sent to DiDad.

-------

The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.

These holy words echo through my mind as I stroll towards the docking bay. Soon now, I will have a look at our new home. We escaped the shadow of death that Earth had become in its final hours and we travelled across the darkness of space for our chance at a new beginning. This time, our beliefs will remain at the forefront of our lives. We will not be enfolded into the false desires for money, power or human understanding. We will devote ourselves to our faith and to the betterment of the lives of our people. Not for worldly gains, but for eternal rewards.

As I approach the doors, they begin to swing open. I am bathed by warm light and must squint my eyes as it has been many years since I have seen more than artificial light. Even though it blinds at first, it is indeed the most welcome sight I have seen in many years.

As I stand at the top of the platform and look around our new home, the breath catches in my throat. This is glorious. I glimpse the edges of a river not too far in the distance. I see rolling hills. I see a strange red carpet stretched out on the horizon. This must be a new form of life that resides here.

I say a prayer of Thanksgiving for our new home. The Lord has blessed us indeed.

After a few days of bandaging injuries, sustained in the plummet through the atmosphere to this place, and taking stock of our supplies, we are ready to begin making plans for the future.

Our Elders gather together. Our first decision is where to set up our first city. As we look around, we realize that this is not the most optimal place to establish a new city, but it could take years to scope out the land and find a perfect location. So, we decide to establish our first city on the site of our landing.

And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord; to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths; for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.

So, we shall name our first city New Jerusalem. We will rise up and give thanks for each new day on this glorious Planet.

We have much to do to prepare ourselves for life here. We must learn to live and eat in this new environment. We have many brilliant minds who are urging us to begin discovering the mysteries of this world. However, for now, we will look to the Lord for guidance. We will focus our wisdom on establishing a home. We will explore the land around us. We will pursue no research for a period of 10 years. At that time, we will revisit the need to invest in research, but we will do so only to the betterment of our people and to follow the will of the Lord.

I hope and pray that everyone who escaped from Unity has found safe passage to this planet. I also pray that they will not repeat the mistakes of Earth. For we shall not repeat our old mistakes!

Last edited by Qantaga; September 20, 2001 at 18:35.
Old September 21, 2001, 02:19   #11
SITS
King

Turn 2102 sent to Googlie

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Second year on Planet. Second fear on Planet. We encountered today what must be the native life-form of Planet. A Colony pod looking for a new place to call home, chanced upon - a thing. It seemed to generate fear and loathing as its tendrils moved in a menacing fashion. My people are already calling them Mindworms and fear seems to be spreading fast throughout the population. Fortunately we had scout nearby and when they attacked the creature it gave in immediately and it now seems to be under control. I've explained to the populance at large how easy it was to capture this Mindworm thing and I think it eased their fears. I just hope such things are as easy to control in the future.

Old September 21, 2001, 06:50   #12
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

2102 to Scipio

--------------------------

After a year of nomadic wandering on planetsurface, our first of many research centers was founded. University Base sits pretty, like a little oasis among the desert of fungus. An unfortunate reaction to a Unity pod unleashed yet more fungus on our bewildered scout patrol - something we really didn't need at this point.

Meanwhile, a monolith stands proud in the distance. Barely visble from University Base on a clear day, the elegant, tall spire is quite a sight to behold. The monolith itself seems to have a calming effect on our troops....additionally, it seems that statue will give quite a boost to our research capabilities.

But we must not forget the primary function of University Base - research. Whilst studies have already begun into Biogenetics, many more discoveries will surely be made over the coming years - to the benefit of our great colony.
Old September 21, 2001, 06:59   #13
Googlie
Emperor

2102 to mark13

Consternation ran throughout the base.

The Chairman was ill.

Functionary Googlie rapped the makeshift table for attention. Although no formal command structure as yet had been established, he was one of Chairman Christmann's closest confidants, and readily took the mantle of leadership in this crisis.

"It is a minor thing," he said,"that will pass in a few days. Our doctors say that it is a reaction to the toxins that were not completely purged from the alien vegetation we are now using to supplement our food supplies.

"Meanwhile, there are decisions to be made."

The small council looked on expectantly. Shimoda, whom the Chairman had appointed head of the research cadre of colonists; Seng Hsui, garrison commander, Chief of Police and military leader; Tommy Yang, xenobiologist, who had worked with Deirdre Skye's group, but had joined the Hive's exodus from The Unity. And Saleem "Googlie" Patel, newly appointed Civilian Governor of the headquaters base.

Googlie spoke:

"The decisions we need to make are whether to prise open the two Unity seed pods that we can see just outside the base perimeter - scout patrols are standing by; what line of research our colleague Shimoda and his staff should pursue and how much of our precious energy should be diverted for research purposes; direction to our colony pods that are searching for suitable sites to found additional bases, and, of course, what production orders should I give to our workers in this base itself."

They nodded as one, then Shimoda spoke:

"Is it not true that delaying any decision is itself a decision in itself? And indeed if our beloved Chairman will be among us in a few days as you say, then what damage will have been done if he needs to countermand any status-quo decision we make right now? Not much, I would suggest."

The others nodded gravely. There clearly was concensus to leave things exactly as they were.

"There is the matter of the line of research to pursue," Googlie said.

"Oh, I have already made my decision on that," Shimoda replied.

'I could see I was going to have trouble with this one' Googlie thought to himself, but smiled outwardly.

"Excellent. Then let's proceed. This meeting is adjourned."
Old September 21, 2001, 14:43   #14
Scipio Centaurus
Prince

2102 to Arima
------------------

CEO Centaurus closed his eyes and inhaled deeply, taking in the scrubbed and scented air provided to the living quarters of each of the occupants of the executive habitation complex. The CEO's private jacuzzi jetted bubbling hot water against his body, relaxing his muscles. After a few moments, he opened his eyes and took a sip from the glass of champaigne (oh yes indeed...genuine glass...genuine champaigne...both from Earth).

"Gives new meaning to the concept of an 'imported' alcoholic beverage" he thought, as he allowed the slightest hint of a smile to tug at the corner of his mouth.

He looked out through the polarized one-way wall-to-wall floor-to-ceiling bayview window of his penthouse living quarters and took note of the evening work shift laboring under the arc lamps, building the new heavy equipment manufacturing facilities down near the docks and quays of the Industrial Alliance's capital and first port - New New York City.

"Not a bad first year on Chiron", he thought, "Two colonies established along a major fresh water river... Microsoft Redoubt near the rocky high mountain sources of the river... New New York City at the base of the river where it spilled into the bay...the discovery of abundant indigenous fruits and vegetables growing in the highly fertile land along the shores of the river...entirely suitable for human consumption with only minor chemical treatment and genetic modification...the recent discovery of fertile ground near a second major river to the east, making it likely that a third colony would soon be established"

The CEO pondered the fate of the other Unity passengers. No sign of any other survivors had been detected to date. Scipio knew that the fate of The Industrial Alliance was closely intertwined with the fate of the others. Free markets require a large and diverse group of customers to drive them.
Old September 21, 2001, 14:57   #15
Arima
Chieftain

2102 Passed to Qantaga

[I]This world sports more and more alien lifeforms. Our initial exploratory team reported a mass of, well, worms, that attacked them. They survived the psychic attack, they reported, largely due to their superior training. Their next goal, I believe, would be investigating the alien structure that lies on the outskirts of Sparta Command...[\I]
Old September 21, 2001, 23:18   #16
Qantaga
King

2102 to the Peacekeepers.

-------

Has it really been a year? As I think back, I can scarcely believe how fast the time has passed.

We are still mere visitors on this world, but we are gradually carving out a home. The more I see of this planet, the more I grow to love it. The water is pure and clean. The fruits and vegetables sustain us as well as any we knew on Earth.

A surveying crew has reported that they have located some strange new minerals in abundance within sight of New Jerusalem. We will have to study these in detail. Perhaps we can even use these new minerals to build better materials and supplies.

Our bodies grow strong with the work required to build our new homes. We have established our first churches. Our spirits soar!

I receive word from our forward scouts that promising city sites loom on the horizon.

There are many challenges ahead. We have much to learn, much to sacrifice and much to rejoice. But we shall give glory to the Lord and we shall strive.
Old September 23, 2001, 05:42   #17
Christmann
Chieftain

Ok, I'm back, so SITS you can mail them to me again.

---------------------

The Chairman smiled unnoticeable to himself. During his period of 'illness' he had gained extremely vital information which would prove helpful indeed as time passed on and the challenges of controlling the new society would grow; for it was of outmost importance to know who could be trusted among the councilmembers. Comrade Googlie, with his loyal handling of the situation in the council, indeed seemed promising and would no doubt rise to be the chairmans succesor. 'But,' Christmann reminded himself 'trust is good, control is better,' as the final days onboard the Unity had so painfully taught him. With that in mind he summoned the chief of his secret police modelled after the Staatssicherheitsdienst organisation in the 20th century East German peoples democracy. 'Ah, to imagine a state where half the population is so dedicated to public safety and health of society that they are in some way working for the secret police. Marvellous.'

"Reporting for duty, sir!" the chief of police shouted out of breath.

"It's about comrade Googlie..." Christmann began.

Last edited by Christmann; September 23, 2001 at 10:00.
Old September 24, 2001, 18:12   #18
SITS
King

Turn 2103 to the fit again Chairman

My fears about the Mindworms have come true. It is lucky I've managed to keep it from the populance at large. A scout patrol stumbled on one and it hurried it's movement to attack thinking it would be easy. It was mistake he would never be able to make again.

Old September 24, 2001, 18:45   #19
Googlie
Emperor

ROFLOL, Christmann
Old September 25, 2001, 05:46   #20
Christmann
Chieftain

2103 to Uni.
Old September 26, 2001, 07:28   #21
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

2103 to Scipio - apologies for the delay, was out all day yesterday.
Old September 26, 2001, 08:16   #22
Scipio Centaurus
Prince

2103 to Arima
Old September 26, 2001, 15:07   #23
Arima
Chieftain

Turn passed to Qantaga

Our scout team uncovered another of the mamoth structures, this one very close to Sparta command. Our defense team is preparing to explore the structure ASAP. Our other colony pods are in position for deployment, and I believe they will do so soon.
Old September 26, 2001, 21:13   #24
Qantaga
King

2103 to the Peacekeepers.

-------

These thousand hills roll ever on
The footprints of a mighty God

We have much reason to rejoice. Our scouts report that a suitable location has been found to establish our second city. The first buildings have been erected. Workers and visionaries are filling the streets. We shall christen it Thousand Hills.
Old September 27, 2001, 08:37   #25
SITS
King

Turn 2104 to Christmann

-----------------------------------

Managed to get some energy credits from a unity pod and a scout rover had to kill a Mindworm. There was no choice but I want to get to a time when we can have a greater understanding of Planet so that we don't have to be in conflict. I'm directing all my research to that purpose.

Old September 28, 2001, 07:40   #26
Christmann
Chieftain

2104 to Uni.
Old September 28, 2001, 13:49   #27
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

2104 to Scipio

-------------------------

"I now announce this colony....open for research!"

Thus was the opening of Koppernigk Observatory. It is a moment I replay in my mind again and again - and fill with immense pride each time. Not only are we aided by the nearby monolith, but it appears there is a conveniently placed river nearby - perfect for the founding of our second base. Things are indeed looking up - we shall discover things we never thought possible over the coming decades. Of that I am quite sure.
Old September 28, 2001, 17:53   #28
Scipio Centaurus
Prince

2104 to Arima
Old September 29, 2001, 10:26   #29
Arima
Chieftain

2104 to Qantaga
Old September 29, 2001, 14:39   #30
Qantaga
King

2104 to DiDad.

-------

Peace, be still

This has been a year of rest. We are gathering resources and slowly building our new civilization.