Old October 31, 2001, 18:44   #91
DilithiumDad
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 08:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Current roster is:

Gaians - Lady SITS
Hive - Chairman Christmann (in his absence, being temporarily played by Googlie)
University - Provost Mark13
Morgan - CEO Ironwood
Sparta - General Black Sunrise
Believers - Qantaga
Peacekeepers - Delegate Dilithium Dad
Old October 31, 2001, 20:17   #92
Qantaga
King

2111 sent to the Peacekeepers.
Old October 31, 2001, 21:19   #93
Black Sunrise
Prince

Local Time: 13:37
Wow, seven human factions? We could be playing this game for years!

Indra
Black Sunrise
Old November 1, 2001, 18:34   #94
Ironwood
Prince

Local Time: 06:37
One thing, I noticed, Googlie, is that despite the "Role-Play" nature of this game, and the requirement that in reasearch, we "stay in character," we're using non-blind research. I know most people prefer to play with this option, but I would think that we'd want to use blind research in this style of game.

For example, for someone like Morgan or Zhakarov, what would be "in character" for research? Certainly, in a time of peace, researching build or discover techs, respectively, would be "in character." But in a time of war (or impending war), I'd think both of them would readily begin developing weapons technologies; neither of them are fools, and know where their advantages lie.

For Zhakarov, it'd be a sort of "So, they think I'm a mindless dreamer? I'll show them what my mind can do to them."

For Morgan, it'd be more of a "Our assets are threatened by the agressions of another faction. Gentlemen (talking to a research team on his payroll), I want the best weapons money can buy."

And you realize that, as far as "in-character straight shots" are concerned, I have a considerable advantage. For my in-character straight shot goes straight toward "Industrial Automation." In other words, crawlers. I myself have never used crawlers as an integral part of my strategy, but I've heard much about the unbalancing aspects of these things, when properly used. Usually, in MP, this is balanced by the fact that anyone can do it. But because this is an "RP" game, I will get them considerably earlier than everyone else.

Any thoughts? Why non-blind research?
Take me as I am.
Old November 2, 2001, 01:53   #95
SITS
King

Turn 2112 to Googlie

Trying to move a damaged rover to an alien monolith it encountered two Mindworms - both of which were converted into energy.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old November 2, 2001, 03:25   #96
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

2112 to Mark13

In the original RP1 (which died a death when a player just dropped out without pasing on his password) we had considrable discussion whether we should be blind, or directed within our priorities. We opted for the latter as we felt that one of the key features of a RolePlay game would be in the inter-faction interaction, and knowing what we were researching, and indeed directing that research, would provide for better gameplay in terms of trades and denying techs.

We just carried that through to these 3 games (RPs 2,3 and 4)

There is a perception that the game engine uses the blind research as a game leveler (denying a crucial tech that is on the path to some deeper one for many turns, so that the player in the lead sometimes gets offered fusion last) This was felt to rob the roleplay game of some of its potential richness.

having said all that, there is an expectation that players will largely follow their faction's research priorities (without totally ignoring the other streams, though)

Googlie
Old November 7, 2001, 00:39   #97
Ironwood
Prince

Has Mark13 passed his turn on yet?
Take me as I am.
Old November 7, 2001, 12:14   #98
DilithiumDad
Prince

I am the CMN for RP2 and by request and consent of the players, blind research was set. No word yet on how that is working out for them. They started a week after us and have been having similar problems with delays!
Old November 9, 2001, 10:08   #99
SITS
King

Turn 2113 to Googlie
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old November 9, 2001, 11:26   #100
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

2113 to Mark13

I have e-mailed Christmann to see how long his absence is likely to continue.

(although, in all fairness, I must admit I have absolutely no recollection of the map -as you can imagine, having set up some fifteen or so scenarioed starts these last couple of months all the maps eventually run into one another in the memory banks)

So if the rest of you have no objection, I'll still play on until C is reunited with his own computer with smac loaded on it (unless he advises to the contrary and suggest a permanent replacement)

G.
Old November 11, 2001, 10:21   #101
Qantaga
King

Googlie, I have no problem with you playing on until C returns (and even welcome you to stay on if he does not return).
Old November 11, 2001, 22:08   #102
Qantaga
King

2113 sent to the Peacekeepers.
Old November 17, 2001, 11:47   #103
Black Sunrise
Prince

5 days since anyone played a move. Could we resend to the peacekeepers, or find out what's going on? I'm in 8 games, and NONE of them are moving, and I'm bored mindless.
Indra
Old November 18, 2001, 13:34   #104
Qantaga
King

2113 resent to PKs.
Old November 18, 2001, 20:42   #105
DilithiumDad
Prince

Turn was new to me. Have not had e-mail problems so I don't know what could have happened.

SITS has been lost from address book somehow

Therefore I am using thehandy file upload feature to put the turn here.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip rp3sits2114.zip (61.6 KB, 1 views)
Old November 25, 2001, 02:55   #106
SITS
King

Turn 2114 to the Hive

Sorry about this. A number of people are having problems sending to my email address and I'm not sure what is happening. I just had a look at this thread to see what is happening to find the turn waiting for me.

In future can you send my turn to my normal address (ie the one you have been using) and cc it to sits07@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers!

Old November 25, 2001, 10:49   #107
Googlie
Emperor

2114 moved on to mark13
Old November 26, 2001, 19:37   #108
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Apologies for the delay, been away the last couple of days - 2114 on to Ironwood.
Old November 27, 2001, 20:28   #109
Black Sunrise
Prince

2114 to Quantaga
Move sent.

3 hours, 1 minute.
Old November 28, 2001, 22:25   #110
Qantaga
King

2114 sent to Dilithium Dad.
Old November 30, 2001, 03:00   #111
SITS
King

Turn 2115 to the Hive

Old November 30, 2001, 11:08   #112
Googlie
Emperor

2115 to Mark13
Old November 30, 2001, 14:06   #113
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

2115 to Ironwood...
Old December 1, 2001, 08:41   #114
Black Sunrise
Prince

I received an email with a move intended for SITS.
Contacted sender about matter.
Old December 10, 2001, 02:11   #115
SITS
King

We seem to be stuck here. Anyone know where the game is?

Old December 10, 2001, 02:29   #116
Ironwood
Prince

Wow, this is the first email notification I've recieved in almost a month! It appears that the email notification function isn't terribly reliable. I figured mine had expired or something.

Sorry I haven't been posting here. It just seems like a bit of a hassle to come here (read: load IE, go through several layers of links to reach this forum) solely for the purpose of informing the group that I sent the turn along. If you guys want, I'll start sending to the total email group... that is, if I had all your email addresses. ghoti@pacbell.net

I'm enjoying the game, guys. I'm in it for the long haul, whatever happens, whatever players end up being changed. The prospect of a full seven human player planetary council is just too much to pass up! In SP, the presidency is just a commerce bonus. With seven human players... I'll leave it up to you to imagine what one could do with the presidency. It almost makes me wish all seven were available for election, rather than the top two. Oh, the politics!
Take me as I am.
Old December 10, 2001, 09:41   #117
Black Sunrise
Prince

The last move I have record of playing is 2114. I was waiting for 2115. I got an email, on 11/30, from ghoti, "sawyer", whom I usually receive moves from.
Instead of 2115, I got 2116 intended for Lady Sits, wanting her password, but labeled with 2116-black sunrise on it.
?
What happened to 2115?
Did my faction get eradicated?
I'm totally confused here.

Shrug.
I'll forward the move to lady Sits, I suppose, if someone gives me the email address, but I really no longer know what the play order is, or where the move is, or why I have a move from a player half way on the other side of the move chain.
Shrug.

my email, btw, is indra@blacksunrise.com

Last edited by Black Sunrise; December 10, 2001 at 09:55.
Old December 16, 2001, 05:07   #118
Ironwood
Prince

That is odd. Let me check this... it is asking for SITS! How did that happen? I played a turn, saved and exited, zipped it up, and sent it on to Black Sunrise. It looks like I'm the weak link here, though how I ended up with a move for SITS (she's neither before or after me) by playing my turn, I can't figure out.

I'm going to send it on and attatch it here, but I still don't get it. Oh well.

Edit: Oh, and sorry I didn't get back to you when you emailed me about this. Either I didn't get the move, or it got tossed out with the very large quantities of spam this particular address collects.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip rp3-sunrise-2116.zip (60.5 KB, 1 views)
Take me as I am.

Last edited by Ironwood; December 16, 2001 at 05:13.
Old December 16, 2001, 08:33   #119
Black Sunrise
Prince

My solution:
Somethings wrong, but who cares? If it wants SITS, let SITS open it, and see if we can play and proceed.
Shrug helplessly.
It's the only course I can see to proceed
Indra
Black Sunrise
Old December 16, 2001, 11:19   #120
SITS
King

Turn 2116 to Googlie

The turn was for me and I've played it and sent it on to Googlie (which I'm not sure if that is correct or not...)