Old September 20, 2001, 21:01   #1
klesh
King

Local Time: 09:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
To Users of MS Paint...
Run... and I mean RUN out and get yourself some better graphics software!!! Seriously though, I nagged my buddy enough to let me dl Jasc's Paint Show Pro 7 using his pc w/ cable modem, and then burnt the .exe onto cd to bring to my 56k based 'puter. The dl was 30MB, but boy does it ever make a difference!!! Really, I have played with it only a few times so far after just installing it, and I can see that it is a much superior product to the free MS Paint that Gate$ puts in our boxes for us. So nag all of your friends untill you can get this, or something like it, because its definately worth it.

Awhile ago there was talk here of using MS Paint with .gifs, which mine didn't do from the start. Now I can open gifs with M$ Paint, but when I save then, they are saved as a type that crashes Civ (yes, even using the Civ2 pallete ) This new product is gonna solve that and allow alot more to be done with the graphics I am using for a scenario.

Just thought I'd pass the info along. Although some of us have been using only MS Paint and getting along ok with it, you guys who still have it should really go and try this stuff out. You'll be as impressed and happy as I am.

-FMK.

BTW, does anyone know what exactly is the 'trial' aspect of this? I am assuming that there is a limited # of mouseclicks per opening of the program or some such. Anyone a good hacker?
Ah... just joking. Not really
Old September 20, 2001, 21:27   #2
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 23:38
Re: To Users of MS Paint...
Quote:
Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
BTW, does anyone know what exactly is the 'trial' aspect of this? I am assuming that there is a limited # of mouseclicks per opening of the program or some such. Anyone a good hacker?
Ah... just joking. Not really
I'm not familiar with Paintshop Pro, but most 'trial periods' for software are a certain number of days. You can often get aroudn this by putting your computers date back, or simply reinstalling the software when the 'trial period' runs out
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old September 20, 2001, 22:16   #3
Jimmywax
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 07:38
I quit MS Paint a long time ago. A man can only get pissed off so many times before he puts his foot thru the monitor. I figured that buying Adobe Photoshop was cheaper than a new monitor so I sprung for that. It is not perfect and I do have some complaints about it, but it works.
Old September 21, 2001, 10:29   #4
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 07:38
PSP's trial period is 30 days of unhindered use. After that, it lets you use it for another 30 days - but every time you open it, you are angrily reminded that you have exceeded your trial period, order the damn software! I made it about 80% thru a few modpacks before I ran out of time. It works very well, but I've never actually purchased the software...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old September 21, 2001, 12:34   #5
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 15:38
Another thing: if one of you looks for good GFX software, but doesnīt want to spend a lot of money for the newest versions of PhotoPaint or Photoshop, try to find a shop which sells an older version.
For example, PhotoPaint, newest version is 10 costs together with the rest of the Corel Graphics Suite over 1000 DM (ca. 500US Dollar?) here in Germany, but the versions 7 or 8 are very cheap, and still A LOT better than MS Paint.
Also, older versions often do not need as much RAM/CPU speed
Old September 22, 2001, 07:57   #6
kobayashi
Prince

Local Time: 21:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
PSP's trial period is 30 days of unhindered use. After that, it lets you use it for another 30 days - but every time you open it, you are angrily reminded that you have exceeded your trial period, order the damn software! I made it about 80% thru a few modpacks before I ran out of time. It works very well, but I've never actually purchased the software...
No big deal to delete it and reinstall if you keep the original file you downloaded. Less than 3 minutes work.
Old September 22, 2001, 09:12   #7
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 14:38
PSP remembers if it has been installed before. At least, my version did.

I use a combination of MSPaint and the FW units editor for my work, but it`s very basic work that I do (recolouring units, etc.) so it`s not much of a problem.
Old September 22, 2001, 09:46   #8
klesh
King

Local Time: 09:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hanson
PSP remembers if it has been installed before. At least, my version did.
I think that is the case here too. I recall it saying something to the fact that if you try to remove it it willleave some stuff on there in case you want to reinstall... I bet there is something there that reminds the program its been installed before. I have been working alot more with it recently...it is sooooo good! But, I can't see myself spending $100 just to make pretty graphics for you geeks

-FMK.
Old September 23, 2001, 08:08   #9
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 15:38
1. I recently found a rather nice free and very small image editor (especially for those who donīt have lightning-fast Internet connections): http://members.ozemail.com.au/~fret/image.html
It holds the middle between MS Paint and PSP in complexity and possibilities. Quite usefull.

2. There are several places on the web where you can download the full version of PSP7... http://www.google.com/search?q=fo-psp701f.zip. Such links are bound to live a rather short life, but I think the first one works.

Of course, I donīt condone this evil behaviour . Itīs up to you whether you pick the free one, or the illegal one.
Old September 23, 2001, 09:20   #10
Goingonit
Warlord

Local Time: 08:38
There's always the GIMP (the GNU Image Manipulation Program)...

I tried it once for a little while. It's not very useful for Civ 2, but it's free. It tries to be a free PhotoShop and almost succeeds. However, as it was designed for Linux, the interface is non-standard and it lacks some very important features. It also can't use .GIF files due to copyright issues, but you can always convert the images with other free software.

Gimp for Windows can be found here: http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32//