Old September 21, 2001, 02:39   #1
SITS
King

Local Time: 13:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Strategies for MP gleamed from the knowledge of SP
As the title says this is a thread to consider the implications of what we have heard about the SP game and how they might apply to the MP game.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old September 21, 2001, 05:16   #2
SITS
King

With the need to trade for resources will it mean that the MP game is much more peaceful than in CIV2 and SMAC/X? Or will it encourage people to tak what they need?
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old September 21, 2001, 05:51   #3
drake
King

Local Time: 09:39
Quote:
With the need to trade for resources will it mean that the MP game is much more peaceful than in CIV2 and SMAC/X? Or will it encourage people to tak what they need?
I hope so SITS, because civ 2 mp, particularly in diplomacy, is quite un-sophisticated. What sets mp players apart from sp players is this little thing called interaction. But what good is this so called interaction if it is with someone who doesnt make any sort of conversation or discussion in-game. That is so un-like what sid had in mind. Robots who kill everything without saying a word have perverted the way civ mp is played. All we do when we play civ mp against someone like that is play a more intelligent AI. Thats it, because you are up against the same un-reasonable blank slate of expression. Boring!

By instating something in game that rewards players who are well rounded in all areas; science, diplomacy, military, trade etc., mp interaction will be all that more balanced and realistic. I don't think this means no war, gee I hope not, I just hope that it will make dull, un-original strategies obsolete.

Of course this is just my opinion......but the game is called "civilization" not "barbarians" and the game should reflect it's title.
Old September 21, 2001, 07:37   #4
SITS
King

Quote:
Markg
sits, thank you for the response in the apolyton forum and the initiative to start these threads in the civ3-general forum. if the amount and the diversity of discussions about mp increases, we will make the civ3-mp forum sooner than scheduled
The man has spoken - so lets try and expand on the MP topic so a proper forum for it can be created.

Old September 21, 2001, 11:38   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 08:39
aight, as far is i know you start with one worker and one settler, so theyre are a few possibilities.

you can build a city and...
[list=1][*]build roads to nearby resources and/or future cities.[*]build a road to a distant resource and build a colony.[*]add the worker to the cities pop.[/list=1]

i'm not sure if the third action is confirmed / allowed, but i dont see why it wouldn't be.

could it be the beginnings of sleeze?

i think one of the biggest MP strats will be to get a varied supply of resource under one sturdy empire, and then laugh at people without iron or bronze
Old September 21, 2001, 21:51   #6
SITS
King

Would you be targeting other peoples special resources or do you think it is best to concentrate on culture? I seem to remember about Nationalism that you have to win the war to change your gov again which I imagine will make it difficult to wage war effectively in Civ3 placing a great emphasis on diplomacy.