Old May 28, 2000, 13:45   #1
Hasdrubal
Prince

Local Time: 23:39
Local Date: October 30, 2010
The ancient and mediaeval era's are my favourites as well!! What a pity that you rush through them in 1 or 2 sessions of play.
I don't want to play an entire game of just commanding elephants and chariots, after all, the whole game is about development. I just wish that there would be a more even distribution of playing time between the different epochs.
As for ancient modpacks, I'm sure that they do exist. I don't know of any personally, but there is a fine scenario I do know of, called 'Hannibal', available right here at Apolyton. You can guess the content.
Since I enjoy playing a normal game most, my own solution has been to meddle with the rules.txt, to increase the amount of science needed for advances, and squeezing in a few extra advances in the ancient and med. periods. (the ones that are unused in the default rules.txt). This gives you quite some extra time before the industrial revolution breaks out.
(Uskyld mit svensk): Jag synes, at du taler bedre engelsk som de fleste mennesker her!)
Old May 28, 2000, 15:55   #2
Eyn
Warlord

Local Time: 22:39
if you have MGE or one of the addons, there's a lot of antic scenarios on internet
i've 3 antic scenarios (Grece (CiC), Antic2 and Egypte (FW)) on my webpage.
if you only have Civ2, why don't you make yourself your Mod: i've collected a great number of antics units, icons, cities and other graphiks
http://www.multimania.com/eyn
Old May 29, 2000, 00:34   #3
RichardX
Settler

ANCIENT world!
Am I the only one finding Civilizaion II most amusing during the ancient era of the game ?!?! I don't know about you guys, but I find it hard to fall in love with those modern units and cities...

Is there a modpack available for making whole game take place in an ancient world?

Of course with a lot of new units, but not with that rapid technology development.

(sorry 'bout my english, I am after all from Sweden...)
Old May 29, 2000, 02:16   #4
Geography Dan
King

Local Time: 14:39
I, too, find the game more interesting in the ancient era. I often stop playing around 1500 AD.

------------------
-GeoDan, Apolyton Geography Expert
AKA GeoDude

Dannyboy@unbounded.com
Old May 29, 2000, 13:00   #5
Andz83

GeoDan's style is very similar to mine. I also stop playing a game after a certain year. But I stop after I discovered things like computers etc. because I HATE the time after WWII

Old May 31, 2000, 13:12   #6
johnmcd
Apolyton University
King

Yup, couldn't agree more about this. The thing that annoys me most in this area is the uselessness of frigates and and galleons. Its pretty easy to mess around with the rules txt though so that development is really slow. When I've done this though it tends to make the wonders too important. You may want to remove them from the game if you do this (just make the prerequiste tech stealth or some such).

When did the new smilies arrive?
Old May 31, 2000, 13:48   #7
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
yea me too, hehe, but ehm, if you like the ancient era so much, why don't ya just play age of empires 1??great fun..

------------------
ThermiteB(that's me!) RLZ like HELL!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 5, 2000, 16:18   #8
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

I also prefer the ancient times, if you play total war and in bloodlust mode (at least in emperor mode and normal map) I never get farther away in militar technology than gunpowder,

give it a try,

there also a few of modpack about the bronzeage,
give it also a try to the hundred of ancient and middle ages scenarios that there are in the net

adios
Old June 5, 2000, 19:25   #9
astrogator
Settler

I too love the old days.

My favorite way to set up a game:

Start a game on the european map.

Pick one of the "white" civ's, say the romans.

Open the cheat menu and toggle the scenario flag.

Set starting year to 2000 BC

Set turn increment to 1

Set tech multiplier to 180. Yes, 180!

Save as scenario.

Exit the game.

Restart and select "start scenario."

Load the scenario you just created and watch the ages roll slowly, slowly by.
Old June 6, 2000, 22:14   #10
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 18:39
Download End of the Bronze Age from either Paul Cullivan's site or mine and use the graphics/rules as a modpack just like Paul originally indended. Great fun.

------------------
St. Leo
http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
Old June 25, 2000, 00:07   #11
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 15:39
Alright! People who feel the same way I do about Ancient Scenarios. If you really want "All-Ancient-All-The-Time", check out my new scenario:

"Seeds of Greatness", the second scenario in the Ancient Empires series is now available for download. If you liked "End of the Bronze Age", I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. To whet your appetite, here's a quote from the Readme file:

"This Ancient Empires scenario is set in the year 3500 BC. It is the dawn of history and seven ancient Near Eastern civilizations are ready to embark on the long road of Research, Building, and Conquest! How do you win? As in the real world, you must achieve the "Alexander Solution"! By the time of his death in 323 BC, this entire region had fallen to the Macedonian conqueror. The calendar moves in Ten-Year increments and you must complete your conquests by 0 AD. The shadows lengthen upon the sundial, so may the Gods be with you Illustrious One!"

Some of the new features in SoG include:

1) All Seven Civs are playable, and each comes with it's own customized Events file.
2) A "Red Front"-style batch file takes care of the file switching for you. (Thanks Nemo!)
3) The map is full of independent city-states and towns for you to conquer and enslave. And no, they aren't cities!
4) Barbarian Democracy eliminates the old "bribe-your-way-out-of-trouble" strategy. (Thanks Allard!)
5) "Goody Huts" are back! Finding and exploiting these resources is a key part of the scenario.
6) Every civ starts off at the Dawn of History, so you have a complete set of Advances, Units, Wonders, and City Improvements to research and build.
7) A color-coded, two page Tech Tree is included, suitable for framing.
8) Two other handy reference documents (Units and Advances) are also provided.
9) There are 4 zip files to be downloaded (one set of game files and three of sounds), but you won't have to download Sound Files #1 and #2 if you already have "End of the Bronze Age"....they are the same!
10)It's been playtested quite thoroughly, so it should be bug free.

If you've got that Empire Building itch, head for my web site and get Seeds of Greatness now!

Old June 25, 2000, 01:40   #12
Geography Dan
King

Local Time: 14:39
hooray! Another ancient scenario!! Thank you!! I'm downloading it right now!

I have hundreds of ideas for ancient scenarios, but I'm not a very good scenario-maker, unfortunately.

Old June 26, 2000, 07:01   #13
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Huh, well... i like very much ancient civs and scenarios. Romans are my favourite civ ( it's no matter i'm italian... ). Unfortunately i'm not a good scenario maker... three scenarios i made about Roman Empire ( "Celtic Britain", "Ex oriente lux" and "Cisalpine Gauls" ) seems to be poorly planned if compared to yours - still, i don't give up: after my newcoming "Rise of Kok-Turks" scenario, i'm planning a full maquillage work on others!!! That's right - i'm currently working on a personal website, and i'm planning to settle them here...
Anyway, i also like medieval scenarios, and often i stop playing a normal game around/in 1400.
Old June 26, 2000, 13:02   #14
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Huh, well... i checked the scenario forum right now... yup, you're a little right, somehow ( is that the right word ? )!!!
BTW, i was going to edit my post... and i find this . I'm sorry if i failed to express myself: i mean, i downloaded Seeds of greatness scenario a few minutes before my last ( edit: oops, previous ) reply - then i started playing a little.
I really wanted to express my appreciation for Kull's efforts in making this stuff ( it was well-showed by txt files development... - the first thing i usually notice in a scenario; pretty weird, uh? ) while i was regretting my poorly made scenarios . I really hope more Kull-dudes will come soon to delight us...
I was also trying to express my sincere hope to perform someday a well-done scenario like Kull's one.
I apologize again, Prometeus

[This message has been edited by Prometeus (edited June 26, 2000).]
Old June 27, 2000, 00:37   #15
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 16:39
Sheesh, it seems like some people complain without checking the Scenario forum. The superb Ancient Scenarios by Kull have been out a little while. It's incredible to me that some folks wish Civ2 had more emphasis on this or that. Well, it can if you play the many scenarios that are available and if one doesn't exist, build one or have someone else do it.

BTW, as I posted in that forum, Seeds of Greatness is one of the best scenarios ever done. I've just got done playing it for 20 hours and it really captures the essence of the ancient period.
Old June 28, 2000, 00:33   #16
CornMaster
Prince

Local Time: 19:09
I find that playing in the ancient eras easier and fun too. But I find it too easy. I'm not very good at using land, sea, and air forces as one. But I find the modern era much more challenging.

I also find I tend not to know the modern tech, wonders, and city improvements as well either, and this slows my progress giving the AI a much need advantage.

I think that this series of posts are going to end up with a quote like, "Civ 3 should be totally made in the ancient era." And if it was it would be a shame. There seems to be a lot of hatred of the modern era or maybe I'm just taking it all wrong. Anyway....
Old June 28, 2000, 06:20   #17
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 15:39
Nahh... civ 3 should not be only ancient era. but I wouldn't mind spending a bit more time there. in civ 1, the ancient days went by so fast you hardly had time to blink before 1AD. I was gratified when I first played civ2 and actually spent time and development in BC.
I am actually a fan of havng turn increments NOT CHANGE during the game. i.e. the old days go by just as fast, it just takes a lot longer to research back then. Kind of like the scenario setup astrogator suggested.