Old September 23, 2001, 22:42   #31
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 09:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Actually the attacker could retreat in SMAC (the defender really didn't too much, and would you want it too, if it was in a city).
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old September 24, 2001, 08:20   #32
Satis5d
Settler

Local Time: 08:41
I agree with monolith that the game seems to be too lopsided toward the early civs. Fortunately we will soon start to see the more modern civs so that we can evaluate the true strengths and weaknesses of each.

I also agree that CivIII is very much a different game in some fundamental ways to CivII. Direct comparison will not be accurate. I'm hoping that combat is as improved in CivIII as it was in CivII over its predecessor.
"I was a young man with unformed ideas. I threw out queries, suggestions, wondering all the time over everything, and to my astonishment, the ideas took like wildfire. People made a religion of them." - Charles Darwin
Old September 24, 2001, 14:32   #33
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 06:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Satis5d
I agree with monolith that the game seems to be too lopsided toward the early civs. Fortunately we will soon start to see the more modern civs so that we can evaluate the true strengths and weaknesses of each.

I also agree that CivIII is very much a different game in some fundamental ways to CivII. Direct comparison will not be accurate. I'm hoping that combat is as improved in CivIII as it was in CivII over its predecessor.
I'm hoping they add the "combined arms" idea they had in CTP1 & 2. That way people won't just build the strongest 2+ movement rate unit and will actually have to build a balanced military.
Old September 24, 2001, 15:37   #34
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 07:41
basically, it's the civ 3 version of the scout rover, it'll tear up scouts (warriors) and colony pods (settlers) but don't think about doing anything other than pestering synthmetal squads (phalanx)

it'll probobly be good for capturing workers
Old September 24, 2001, 17:54   #35
Christantine The Great
Prince

Local Time: 08:41
That's what the Aztecs did, anyway. Capture slaves. Never saw it that way, either.
Old September 25, 2001, 07:56   #36
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 14:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
It just stemmed from an old WW2 joke that my grandfater told me. It was believed that because the Italians were retreating so quickly that their tanks must have had 4 gears, 1 forward and 3 for reverse.
Sure it must been the only good think of ours awful WWII tanks! We had better rewards from infantry heroic resistance on some battle, some sub - frog men action and pilots fighting against modern Allies planes with old and with bad engines planes...
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith