View Poll Results: Would you like everyone to shut up about MP?
YES! Shut up. If you want to talk about dirty rumours like that, go to civfanatics. 29 72.50%
NO! Multiplayer, much like myself, is not at all useless! 7 17.50%
I am deaf, illegitimate, or yin26, and as such have no opinion whatsoever. 4 10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 22, 2001, 18:55   #1
isaac brock
Warlord

Local Time: 08:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Would you like everyone to shut up about MP?
After looking at the whining on all of these hundreds of thousands of threads complaining about no multiplayer, I've become a little upset. In some cases, the whining was so high-pitched that my dog hung himself with a long piece of beef jerky to escape it.

Knowing that, I decided to do something about it. So voice your dissent and show them how much you don't care. Not for you, and not for me, but in memory of my dog.
Old September 22, 2001, 19:18   #2
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:42
Another stupid ****in worthless thread!! IS there no end?
Mark can you pllllllllleeeeeeease ban him
Old September 22, 2001, 19:23   #3
jerkwaterbox
Warlord

you want him banned for expressing an opinion that seems to be the most popular choice in the poll right now?

"I regret nothing and apologize for less." -My motto
Old September 22, 2001, 19:25   #4
isaac brock
Warlord

This isn't another ****in useless thread. I think that everyone should stop complaining about MP, but pretty much only MPers (besides me) will look at an MP thread. Since this one says something negative about MP, maybe we can have a discussion on more level ground than the 34 against 2 routine going on in every other thread. If I could ban everyone I ever disagreed with, I'd be the only one on these forums. But thats not how to deal with what you don't want. Why don't you say something to me instead of whining to mark? besides, if you really wanted me banned you'd PM him.
Old September 22, 2001, 19:45   #5
Bkeela
King

Local Time: 23:42
I would have thought that a vast majority of Civ fans would be quite content with Single Player only. Turn based games don't lend themselves as well to Multiplayer as do Real Time or Shoot-em Up type games. On the few occasions that I've had a game of Civ or Smac via MP, the end game was so drawn out, that it was painful waiting every turn for the others to finish. Unless the MP aspect of Civ III is dramatically refined, I won't even bother downloading the patch.

Either way, I am quite happy to play only SP, for I don't Civ so much for the challenge of beating someone, either AI or human, but for the simulation/roleplaying type aspects.

Bkeela.
Old September 22, 2001, 19:53   #6
Christantine The Great
Prince

For fun I started a game with a friend over the internet. He only has 2 cities so the wait isn't that bad but I do see how long a turn can become. If I ever play MP it will be 99% PBEM. Anyway you MP guys can keep yourself busy with Succession games if you really have that much of a problem with waiting.

For the extremists who say that they aren't going to buy CivIII until MP comes with it (which I don't believe for a moment, but...) then they are just hurting themselves and the people who insist they are making a GREAT multiplayer experience. Like you people play MP ONLY. Get mad if MP is the worst thing they ever waited for.

I voted yes.
Old September 22, 2001, 19:56   #7
jerkwaterbox
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Bkeela
I would have thought that a vast majority of Civ fans would be quite content with Single Player only. Turn based games don't lend themselves as well to Multiplayer as do Real Time or Shoot-em Up type games. On the few occasions that I've had a game of Civ or Smac via MP, the end game was so drawn out, that it was painful waiting every turn for the others to finish. Unless the MP aspect of Civ III is dramatically refined, I won't even bother downloading the patch.

Either way, I am quite happy to play only SP, for I don't Civ so much for the challenge of beating someone, either AI or human, but for the simulation/roleplaying type aspects.

Bkeela.
Quote:
For fun I started a game with a friend over the internet. He only has 2 cities so the wait isn't that bad but I do see how long a turn can become. If I ever play MP it will be 99% PBEM. Anyway you MP guys can keep yourself busy with Succession games if you really have that much of a problem with waiting.

For the extremists who say that they aren't going to buy CivIII until MP comes with it (which I don't believe for a moment, but...) then they are just hurting themselves and the people who insist they are making a GREAT multiplayer experience. Like you people play MP ONLY. Get mad if MP is the worst thing they ever waited for.

I voted yes.
christantine, bkeela you are both great and have become my heros for today.

Last edited by jerkwaterbox; September 22, 2001 at 20:14.
Old September 22, 2001, 19:58   #8
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
*lol* @ poll!!

It gets my vote for funniest and most biased poll ever. I mean, the third option is almost guaranteed to get at least one vote, if Yin26 isnt in exile today

But Isaac raises a valid point - namely, that we are sick of the vocal minority of MPers who just wont shut up about a RUMOUR of there being no MP out of the box, or ever. Despite Firaxis stating that they are working on MP (cant recall their actual statement tho).

So, my proposed solution:
a) MPers shut up (not likely)
b) Firaxis state MP is coming out on release (not likely)
c) MPers have their own forum section (Mark... hint hint)
Old September 22, 2001, 20:02   #9
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Firaxis promised MP a long time ago. They said it would be new and exciting. They said it would be fully integrated. If they lied about MP, what else have they lied about?
Old September 22, 2001, 20:04   #10
isaac brock
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
c) MPers have their own forum section (Mark... hint hint)
Skanky Burns, you are Jesus! That is the best idea I've heard all month!
Old September 22, 2001, 20:18   #11
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

I think MP is cool. But I am deaf and have no opinion whatsoever.

jerkwaterbox - What Jesus Christ said that? It wasn't the same one that all the Christians know.
Old September 22, 2001, 20:21   #12
jerkwaterbox
Warlord

Jesus Christ did say that! do you doubt the words of the bible? shame on you!

Old September 22, 2001, 20:22   #13
isaac brock
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Swissy
Firaxis promised MP a long time ago. They said it would be new and exciting. They said it would be fully integrated. If they lied about MP, what else have they lied about?
They didn't lie about MP. in fact, other than an email some crackpot claimed to receive, you have no evidence that MP will not be in. And if it can't, its because they got so involved in working on the single player (which is more important to them) that they had no time to finish MP for the deadline. And if that is the case, you'll still get the MP you so constantly b*tch and moan about in a patch, so it won't have mattered anyway.
Old September 22, 2001, 20:29   #14
mactbone
Prince

Hey, I want MP too, I'm just getting sick of threads complaining that there's no MP when we have no proof of that.
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old September 22, 2001, 20:46   #15
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 09:42
There will continue to be discussion about MP as long as Firaxis fails to speak out more clearly about it. This rumor has been around too long.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old September 22, 2001, 20:53   #16
isaac brock
Warlord

Thats why the MP people should be moved to a concentration camp.. i mean their own forum. There they can have endless, important, and fun discussions about what an injustice it is that they have to download a patch later.

Cry

me

a

river
Old September 22, 2001, 22:23   #17
SITS
King

You are right - the MP crowd should have their own forum.

New research out shows the MP'ers have greater social skills and are able contribute to society in a much more positive way than their SP counterparts. SP'ers tend to be more selfish, complain about things much more, often fail to offer solutions but are able to create endless problems and tend to have an enormous amount of games that they have bought which filled their attention span for the 11 minute capacity that TV has trained them for since childhood.

The research carried out by Dr M. P. Layer also found that SP'ers tend to have a marked lesser brain development compared to apes of the same age. The research was carried out by observing each group as they tried to solve a maze. The MP'ers were able to co-operate together to quickly find their way out. Their superior social skills had been turned in a survival mechanism. On the other hand several SP'ers starved to death as they refused to read the instruction to receive food pellets and a large proportion were unable to comprehend the concept that simply spitting their dummy out didn't instantly remove them from the maze.

Dr Layer concluded that a huge evolutionary advance was needed for a SP'er to reach the same standard of MP'ers which usually requires them to read the manual. As this was unlikely Dr Layer recommended that the interaction between these two diverse groups should be kept to a minimum to reduce the aggression that SP'ers seem to express every single emotion.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old September 22, 2001, 23:30   #18
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 09:42
5 Reasons SP is better than MP anyways

1) The AI never gets mad when you break treaties
2) The AI doesn't seem hell-bent on planetary destruction
3) I've never once seen the AI complain that 1X1X settings are "boring"
4) The AI cheats in a predictable manner, and you can accuse it of cheating all you want without having it break the connection in a fit of pique
5) The AI has yet to refer to itself as "l33t", and definitely does not "speak haxor"
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old September 23, 2001, 02:07   #19
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 15:42
if you dont like MP discussions, dont read them and even better, dont participate in them!