Old September 23, 2001, 20:14   #1
Jimmywax
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 07:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Guns, Turks, and Greek Style?
I was just wanting to know if anybody knows what rifle the turks used post WWII. I can not find a damn thing on this. The only stuff that I can find talks about their nuetrality until the closing days. They then joined the allies. Does this mean that they adopted the Garand?
Old September 24, 2001, 03:27   #2
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 23:43
Easy!
The Turks who fought in a certain war after WW2 ( ) were part of an American division, so I imagine that they used American weapons such as the M1 Garand. I've also read that the Turkish troops in said war also carried long knives.

I tried to load Steel Panthers III to get the definitive answer, but it just crashed my computer.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old September 24, 2001, 14:40   #3
Grothgar
Prince

Local Time: 13:43
I loaded Steel Panthers III and it is the M1 rifle. Nice to see another SP3 fan

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"
Old September 24, 2001, 22:25   #4
Jimmywax
Prince

Thanks guys, I have another question though. Is SPIII a good game? I have been meaning to try one of the series for quite some time. Obviously, but is it based on WWII.
Old September 24, 2001, 23:49   #5
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmywax
Is SPIII a good game? I have been meaning to try one of the series for quite some time. Obviously, but is it based on WWII.
SP III is definetly a good game. The graphics suck, but the gameplay is quite good. SP III covers everything from 1939 to 1999, and seems quite acurate.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
Old September 25, 2001, 00:21   #6
Jimmywax
Prince

I might have to run out tommorow and find it. How old it it? If it is old enough I should be able to get is in a bargain bin for about ten bucks.
Old September 25, 2001, 05:48   #7
Grothgar
Prince

Yep SP3 is a good game and you should be able to find it for about 10bucks because its really old. MS-Dos game you see. However if you have a decent internet connection i reccomend you download Steel Panthers, World at War from a website which i am sure paul hanson can tell you because he downloaded it copyied it for me. Its just set in ww2 but that means so many more units for each side and there are entire ww2 campaigns and if i find the website you can see for yourself. unfortunately its a 315mb download or somethinhg like that

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"
Old September 25, 2001, 11:33   #8
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 14:43
Quite true. It was a 390mb download; using GetRight I was able to download it in 4 days using my ISDN line (I spent about 5-6 hours a day downloading it). Of course, Grothgar was eternally grateful when I put it on a CD for him.

The URL for the download site is:

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/Wor.../downloads.asp
Old September 25, 2001, 16:07   #9
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hanson
It was a 390mb download; using GetRight I was able to download it in 4 days using my ISDN line

And was it worth it?
Old September 25, 2001, 16:45   #10
Grothgar
Prince

God yes!!! this game is great so many more improvements including paratroopers actually being able to, infiltrators, hundreds of scenarios (including saving private ryan ), Smaller scale ie one tank unit is one tank. Each country has special attributes like the americans artillery is better and russians sometimes go beserk and just attack and the japanese never surrender or even retreat (read annoying), an open eneded WW2 campaign about 10 other compaigns and a mega campaign which you can get if you pay some money and they look the best thing ever. Armour and enetration has been sorted out much better, planes are easier to see and arnt the wonders of reconisance they were in SP3. to many improvements to go through. oh yeah and weather and 2 new terrain types to fight over.

Old September 25, 2001, 17:30   #11
Jimmywax
Prince

I don't know, 390mb is a hell of a lot of data. I do not know if I feel like spending three days downloading it. It would probably take more like four though. I only have a 56k phoneline connection. It sucks to live in the country.
Old September 25, 2001, 19:03   #12
Case
Emperor

Quote:
It sucks to live in the country
Where is Shepard, Montana? I've tried looking for it on maps but it doesn't seem to exhist.
Old September 25, 2001, 20:09   #13
Jimmywax
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Case

Where is Shepard, Montana?
If you can find Billings it is about eleven miles to the North East. I don't really live in Shepherd (Pop. about 500), but I am closer to it than I am to Billings, where I go to college and work.
Old September 29, 2001, 03:58   #14
Jimmywax
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hanson
Quite true. It was a 390mb download; using GetRight I was able to download it in 4 days using my ISDN line (I spent about 5-6 hours a day downloading it). Of course, Grothgar was eternally grateful when I put it on a CD for him.
[
I have been trying to download it and so far it will only let me get to 45%. I will actually get higher than that, i.e. 60% and 63%, but when I resume the download it always starts me over at 45%. I am getting extremely fed up with this ****ing thing and I am ready to cap somebody.

Paul what would it take to get you to send me a copy of that CD? I don't know what it would cost to send one to Shepherd, but I will gladly pay for it.
Old September 29, 2001, 14:51   #15
Paul Hanson
King

Dream on.
Old September 29, 2001, 15:30   #16
Grothgar
Prince

Paul that isnt very nice it only costs about 70p to send and not much for the CD.

Old September 29, 2001, 16:17   #17
Paul Hanson
King

I`ll think about it.
Old September 30, 2001, 01:39   #18
Jimmywax
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Grothgar
Paul that isnt very nice it only costs about 70p to send and not much for the CD.
That is what I thought, I was this close to putting him on my list.
What is 70p in USD?
Old September 30, 2001, 01:54   #19
Case
Emperor

Quote:
What is 70p in USD?
70p = $2.40 Australian = $1.20 American

(And that's why I've postponed my plans to visit the northen hemisphere )