Unless you steal from M$, then you are a hero just like Robin Hood
Why?
-------------------------------><------------------------------
Old September 26, 2001, 03:30   #92
aneeshm
King

Local Time: 19:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm against piracy of any software , but do you know that where I live , it's tougher to get a pirated copy than a licensed one .
Old September 26, 2001, 06:52   #93
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 15:44
Quote:
Originally posted by tuckson

Hmmmm.... Trying to get a free copy, ehhhh...?
Not far as I know. My Civ and Civ II are authentic and
I have considered preordering Civ III. So I don't have
any illegal Sid games.
Old September 26, 2001, 07:32   #94
Mihai
CTP2 Source Code Project
Warlord

I read only part of first page, but I have a question :
How many of you would be willing to pay 1/4 of monthly wage for a game? And my 200$/month is twice the average - you need at least 100$/month for a decent living (no kids, no car, no trips).

I am a little embarrased, but I'll buy a pirate copy when they'll appear.
Old September 26, 2001, 07:38   #95
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 14:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Mihai
I read only part of first page, but I have a question :
How many of you would be willing to pay 1/4 of monthly wage for a game? And my 200$/month is twice the average - you need at least 100$/month for a decent living (no kids, no car, no trips).

I am a little embarrased, but I'll buy a pirate copy when they'll appear.
Piracy is a big problem in Eastern Europe, and I know that it's really bad in Romania. But then, if the game eats up 1/4 - 1/2 of your wages... If they want the problem solved over there, they should release a local version ans sell it for money people can afford to pay.
Old September 26, 2001, 08:16   #96
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthling7

Piracy is a big problem in Eastern Europe, and I know that it's really bad in Romania. But then, if the game eats up 1/4 - 1/2 of your wages... If they want the problem solved over there, they should release a local version ans sell it for money people can afford to pay.
Most of the illegal sofware copies that for sale
come from Russia. But the situation is worse
in Romania, Moldavia (the poorest country in Europe),
Belorussia, Ukraine and so on.

Those Russian pirates are quite widely spread.
They are sold in Russia, Finland (it's true), Estonia, Czech republic,
Turkey and some other countries.

I have plenty of information about this, but I don't
think anyone is interested, expect BSA.

As far as I can recall, there has newer been any such
charity in the sofware business, expect when M$ has "given"
licenses to some projects. Of course there's the
"freeware movement" or what ever you want to call it,
but they're not a part of the "real" software industry (IMO).

That's all for now, folks!
Old September 26, 2001, 13:04   #97
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

If there is a good system of return policies and trying the game, then yes, it's wrong to use warez.

If there is none, the use of warez as a seriosu demo is acceptable in my opinion.

I intend to buy Civ III, but I wouldnt' have heard of it if not for getting Civ I through illegal means. I got Civ I around 1997 when I bought my computer. That year I bought two good games, Red Alert and Diablo which had better hype than Civ II. Civ II sounded nice but too complex.

Only after I got Civ I and discovered the joy did I begin participating in the community.

If not for warez I'd still be playing RTS and wouldn't be a future costumer.

I think that if Civ III is good, Firaxis has nothing to fear from warez. Good games sell.

But being cheated is a *****. I checked out a warez of Red Alert 2. I played one skirmish and deleted it forever. It's a bad game. I considered buying it, but it was indeed bad and i'm happy i tried it.

For all of you claiming I'm cheating out the developers out of their money, I say no. I'm cheating them out of the money they are cheating out of me.

If I had bought CtP, CtP 2 and Red Alert 2 I'd play it for half hour and then stop. I would ahve wasted about 210$ and would still be bored.

So how am I cheating the developers if I don't intend to buy the game nor steal it? If they are planning their profits on the money i'd spend only to be disappointed by a lousy game, then screw them.

I'd rather cheat out a developer for a few days, than him cheating me out of my money for good. I can always delete a warez. I won't ever get my money back.

And you can say how if I won't pay the publishers they won't have moenyy to make new possibly better games. Well they should have known better than releasing a bad game and an unfinished one.

I played Max Payne in a a friend's house. I'm gonna get a warez, check if it runs ok on my comp, and then will try to find money to get it. because it's worth it. I will also support the developers further. If I could (they dispersed).

What am I gonna do about Civ III? I'm gonna wait for the reviews and posts here. That's what. But that is because I have a good and reliable source of info. If I hadn't I'd download it and decide tis' faith in 6 hours.

Why not make games act like shareware? They work fully for 48 hours, and have no multiplayer. After I register and pay money, They work and have multiplayer and I get gameplay tips and such.

I'd be willing to do that.
Old September 26, 2001, 13:29   #98
CobraA1
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:44
Location: North of the Arctic Circle, south of Canada; Minnesota, USA
I like both real-time and turn-based games. As long as it's strategy

All I have to say is if you like it, be kind enough to shell some $$ for it - you're voting with your wallet, and supporting current and future games.

It costs money to make Civ III, and money does not grow on trees.
Old September 26, 2001, 15:01   #99
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 08:44
Cobra, you've just unknowingly triggered the revival of the 'Apolyton Money Grows on Tree Club', founded in 1998 with the sole goal of proving where those little bits of cash actually come from. A large number of forum posters have come to believe 'stealing' or 'pirating' is in fact a healthy and moral thing to do, as Firaxis can simply buy seeds of green at a local outlet store and grow some dough.

Really, people, who are you talking to? People who steal and pirate games sure aren't going to change - bringing up this issue only alerts more to the temptation and entices those on the fence about it.

Quote:
Um, duh?

By the way, when a number of people on this forum make it a point to locate and report these sites to Firaxis and Infogrames, you can bet there will be a 'practical purpose' (as if that is the Golden Rule of a forum or something for God's sake...).

But if Firaxis and Infogrames show no interest in scaring off those sites, then I'll promptly step out of the way and let them make a clear statement: "Pirate Civ 3! We won't do anything about it."

...starting to see a 'point' yet?
No. Because Firaxis won't make a post in your thread, you'll make the judgement they don't care? The real thing they don't give a damn about it this particular topic that will only be seen by 30 or so people. From this thread alone, it would be ridiculous for an entire gaming company to start a legal crusade or whatever.

Granted, few topics have a practical purpose here (actually, most of the better ones don't)...but this is more of a 'I really like firaxis, don't hate me' thread from a guy with a reputation for unyielding pessimism.

As for turning people away from pirating...not going to happen. As I've said before, and you fail to answer this point in your last couple of posts, more people will be drawn into the whole thing than turned away by this discussion. That's all I'm really concerned about.
Old September 26, 2001, 16:18   #100
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 09:44
I 'fail to answer' that point because it wasn't worth answering. And the 'Firaxis don't hate me' thing is pure tripe. By the way, have you got your pirated copy yet?

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old September 26, 2001, 16:21   #101
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
Firaxis won't make a post in your thread
Ummm, Dan already did? It seems pretty clear he's worried about the issue to some degree. The question is will Firaxis and Infogrames make some larger effort to shut down the warez host sites? (usually just a threat to sue is enough)

Old September 26, 2001, 16:44   #102
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
I 'fail to answer' that point because it wasn't worth answering. And the 'Firaxis don't hate me' thing is pure tripe. By the way, have you got your pirated copy yet?
WTF makes you think I pirate games? Talk about tripe, that was some pretty insulting BS, considering I've never stolen or copied a game in my life.

And I'm sorry if my points weren't worth answering...

Quote:
The question is will Firaxis and Infogrames make some larger effort to shut down the warez host sites? (usually just a threat to sue is enough)
Neither you nor your topic can make any difference. It's impossible for such a small company to close down all the 'warez' sites out there. Empty threats don't matter to the more carefree people in the world, either (usually they're the ones that do this sort of thing in the first place).
Old September 26, 2001, 16:47   #103
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Your defeatist attitude is actually pretty funny.

Old September 26, 2001, 16:54   #104
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Old September 26, 2001, 17:00   #105
SITS
King

Local Time: 13:44
So the argument now is to not to say anything against pirates as it is all pointless. Are you still into grunge, Wiglaf as your pessimistic attitude would fit well in that era....
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna

Last edited by SITS; September 26, 2001 at 17:09.
Old September 26, 2001, 17:30   #106
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Quote:
So the argument now is to not to say anything against pirates as it is all pointless.
"Pirates suck"
"Pirates are ****ers"
"Pirates should be banned forever"
"Everyone spit on pirates"

While these are all common, and most likely correct viewpoints, they all serve little to no purpose. Bashing the people you're trying to convert only makes them more opposed to your position, which is that copying CDs for one reason or another is morally wrong. We're going about this the wrong way.

that's not to mention the sailing community would be in quite an uproar.
Old September 26, 2001, 19:04   #107
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Mihai
How many of you would be willing to pay 1/4 of monthly wage for a game?
I AM paying that much for my copy of Civ 3! Im a full-time student, and as such, have little income. Yet im still paying for Civ 3... Why? To support the people who made the game. I want to see a Civ 4. If you want Civ 3, budget, save some money, wait until its cheaper... but dont steal from people who are doing a good job.
Old September 26, 2001, 19:07   #108
SITS
King

If you can't afford the game then try stealing some money or shoplift - but don't pirate the game!
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old September 26, 2001, 19:13   #109
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

no, wait. that's illegal too, isn't it?
Old September 26, 2001, 20:15   #110
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

LOL @ SITS

Old September 26, 2001, 23:23   #111
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns

I AM paying that much for my copy of Civ 3! Im a full-time student, and as such, have little income. Yet im still paying for Civ 3... Why? To support the people who made the game.
Well done! It's good to see that there's at least
some other students that will pay for their Civ III.

But I can also understand those who cant afford
to buy a legal copy of Civ III, due to they're so poor(?).

"We can't afford a Ford."
Old September 27, 2001, 00:37   #112
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

I am fully aware that this thread and others like might have little or no effect on the outcome of pirating. But I have seen companies make solid efforts for at least the first few months of a game's life to keep the game off of warez.

In the end, whether this helps or hurts the company, I don't have solid facts...and we may never be able to get them. But I wanted to make clear as 'Head Critic' or just 'Head Fool' that I certainly do not support pirating the game.

Considering that most of us here don't either, you might think this has been a wasted argument. However, we will soon enough encounter people coming here who clearly did not buy the game. I hope we will have a unified but rational voice when we say: "Please come back once you've actually paid for the game."

Anyway. I have nothing else to say on this, really. Except one thing: If you have the sack to put on an eye patch and take-over a ship delivering this game somewhere, you deserve to take it home.

Old September 27, 2001, 02:05   #113
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns

I AM paying that much for my copy of Civ 3! Im a full-time student, and as such, have little income. Yet im still paying for Civ 3... Why? To support the people who made the game. I want to see a Civ 4. If you want Civ 3, budget, save some money, wait until its cheaper... but dont steal from people who are doing a good job.
sorry mate.. you live in OZ-land and you are a student, so your 1/3 of the income in spent on going out, and similar... not on food and heating bills!!!

The good thing about piracy is that people who in normal cirumstances would not get it can..and when they make th money they will buy it too... so it expands the market that way.
Old September 27, 2001, 03:51   #114
Flandrien
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers
King

Local Time: 14:44
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
However, we will soon enough encounter people coming here who clearly did not buy the game.
I will play civ3, but I won't pay for it.
I will get it as a present !

By the way, I didn't pay for CTP either.
(I had to buy a copy of CTP2 in exchange though. )
Old September 27, 2001, 10:46   #115
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 07:44
Quote:
Firaxis and Infogrames make some larger effort to shut down the warez host sites? (usually just a threat to sue is enough)
just isn't possible. I don't think you understand too much about how the warez world opperates. Within hours of the release of the warez version or iso, it will be on a couple hundred thousand FTP sites... Websites are easy to hit, but FTP sites are hard to find, and harder to shut down...

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old September 27, 2001, 10:58   #116
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Quote:
Originally posted by EnigmaticGod
I don't have the money to buy a half done game only to have to buy the other half in a few months. I got raped a couple of times now by Sid Leiers half done games which he then conveniently releases the other half later on. Not this time.
EnigmaticGod, do you always steal things that you can't afford?
Old September 27, 2001, 13:47   #117
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
I don't think you understand too much about how the warez world opperates.
I understand it perfectly well.

Old September 27, 2001, 14:00   #118
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

OneFootInTheGrave and Mihai, I understand your position completely. Especially yours Mihai, I hope standard increases in your country soon, and EU helps with money instead of high interest credits

Quote:
Um, duh?

By the way, when a number of people on this forum make it a point to locate and report these sites to Firaxis and Infogrames, you can bet there will be a 'practical purpose' (as if that is the Golden Rule of a forum or something for God's sake...).

But if Firaxis and Infogrames show no interest in scaring off those sites, then I'll promptly step out of the way and let them make a clear statement: "Pirate Civ 3! We won't do anything about it."

...starting to see a 'point' yet?
a point?? I see a hypocrate, and his name is Yin

Yin, are you a saint? You send that message. In reality, you are a hypocrate.
Ok, you can buy your copy. Buy two or three if you want to make firaxis happy. But you want to seek pirates around and report them, and you want us to do it too?

Who gives you right to be a preacher? You must have a perfect record. And I mean perfect, no illegal games ever, no divx movies, no audio CDs from friends, pay taxes, etc. Well, congratulations, I envy you. Actually I dont but it is sure rare to meet such person, even online.

Personally I work in a small publishing house, and I am against pirating. I support piracy laws and if I cought anyone publishing pirate copies of our books I d make sure he doesnt do it anymore. But it is job of the publisher Yin!!

Why dont you worry about yourself? Live and let live. Or fight crime where it hurts big, like drugs. Instead you are trying to install a moral police

I am also a student and I know there are different people in different situations. I dont even think about preaching morale!

Say, why this? Why are you not doing something humanitarian, like buying copies of game and giving them away to poor kids or something?

I have a high opinion of you since I joined the boards, but this moralizing is just pathetic
Old September 27, 2001, 15:02   #119
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

LOL! Look up some of those words before you use them. Do you know what 'hypocrite' means? It is a word based on a false show of some sort, and since I mean what I am saying, there is nothing hypocritical about it.

Next: This is a forum. I can preach about a topic all I want. Don't like it? Ignore the thread. Difficult, eh? Or you can come here and not make sense with words you are using incorrectly. Your choice. Unlike YOU, I actually don't try to block people expressing their opinions.

As for 'it is the job of the publisher': I agree in part. If they don't do anything, niether can we. But at the same time, a few thousand fans can do more investigative work and discovery than a few guys at the publishers' house -- assuming they are interested in knowing where the warez is being hosted at any given moment.

Again, if you don't feel it's a fan's duty to help out the game they love anyway they can, that's fine. But if you ask me, it is YOU who is bordering on hypocrisy coming in here as a fan of the game and yet preaching a 'shut up' message to people trying to at least slow down the piracy of Civ3.

As for your 'high opinon' of me at any point in time, do you really think I come here to please you?

Old September 27, 2001, 15:41   #120
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Quote:
LOL! Look up some of those words before you use them. Do you know what 'hypocrite' means? It is a word based on a false show of some sort, and since I mean what I am saying, there is nothing hypocritical about it.
My english is not perfect. I know very well what it hypocrate means in croatian. You see, in my language, when you reply differently to same thing, you are hypocrate (hipokrat).

Quote:
Again, if you don't feel it's a fan's duty to help out the game they love anyway they can, that's fine.
game they love.

Quote:
But if you ask me, it is YOU who is bordering on hypocrisy coming in here as a fan of the game and yet preaching a 'shut up' message to people trying to at least slow down the piracy of Civ3.
I am not here as a "fan of the game". I am simply here. Secondly, I am not preaching to people. I am replying to you.

Yin, if you are active only about civ 3 you are a hypocrate. You do same for all games you like? EU? other software?

On the other hand, if you do not have any illegal mp3s, games (and never had), and you have reported to police every person (friend?) who you know has illegal software, then you are not hypocrate. Then you are just a Moral Policeman Who Himself Is Pure

You are explaining to people from a high moral position that they musnt pirate civ 3. You are asking for bans. Who are you to judge other peoples situations and morale?

Quote:
As for your 'high opinon' of me at any point in time, do you really think I come here to please you?
I ll take it as "no Vet, I didnt like your compliment"