Old September 24, 2001, 11:44   #1
Melios
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Multiplayer
So far, I have seen no proof that I there is no MP until May. Even if they're silent about it that doesn't tell me "there's no MP." And at the Civ3.com FAQ:

Quote:
We're working on some unique things with multiplayer, but we're not ready to start talking about it yet. It has always been challenging to make multiplayer really fun in turn-based games and we're looking at new ways of approaching that.
Doesn't really suggest there won't be any MP. All this really suggests is that they have been working on Multiplayer fo some time. They have been working on it for over two years after all.

As for the line about "we're not ready to start talking about it yet," remember that they are scheduled to have Civ3 released by the end of next month. Don't you want them to finish beta testing it?
Old September 24, 2001, 11:58   #2
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 07:45
The question then becomes, if there will be MP, why won't they admit that it will be in the initial release?

And after all the protests here when the rumor leaked that it wouldn't be included, why haven't Dan or anyone else at Firaxis been allowed to talk about it? Dan replied and said that he wasn't allowed to talk about MP until an official announcement was made.

It really sounds like that it won't be included. I don't see why they would be keeping so quiet if it was. I would like to hear some ideas of why this would be the case.
Old September 24, 2001, 12:10   #3
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 09:45
There are a number of possibilities why they are being mum. The most likely, IMO, is that they cannot speak about it for legal or other business reasons. They are studiously avoiding any discussion about it. Maybe they're waiting for a contract to be inked, for instance.

As to some ideas that Firaxis might have to fundamentally change MP, we've been through some of them on the List...

http://apolyton.net/civ3/suggestions...tiplayer.shtml

Also, more of operational changes were discussed in the Cheats portion of the List...

http://apolyton.net/civ3/suggestions...st/cheat.shtml
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old September 24, 2001, 13:57   #4
Melios
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Pembleton
The question then becomes, if there will be MP, why won't they admit that it will be in the initial release?

And after all the protests here when the rumor leaked that it wouldn't be included, why haven't Dan or anyone else at Firaxis been allowed to talk about it? Dan replied and said that he wasn't allowed to talk about MP until an official announcement was made.

It really sounds like that it won't be included. I don't see why they would be keeping so quiet if it was. I would like to hear some ideas of why this would be the case.
Simple: They aren't allowed to divulge any specific information without the publisher's clearance. It doesn't matter if they want to confirm that it will have Multiplayer; they're not allowed to reveal anything.

Personally, the way I see it they've been working on Civ3 for almost 3 years (or more perhaps). Along with the fact they're still beta testing it, I have no reason to doubt that MP will be in the release. I have not seen any real proof that they're delaying Multiplayer until May.

Another thing: If they're actually beta testing the Multiplayer part of Civ3 right now, there's a clear reason (to me) why they can't/won't say anything, as partially suggested by the FAQ from Civ3.com: Details are subject to change as they're testing and balancing it. Thus previous information given may be obsolete and that could cause legal problems. Wouldn't it be easier if you waited until you've finalized things before announcing?

IMO, their silence suggests that there's a good chance that Multiplayer WILL be in retail. If they (Firaxis & Infogrames) decided to put Multiplayer on hold, wouldn't they just announce it to AVOID legal trouble? I think they're being silent because they're trying to get Multiplayer working but may not have specific information finalized (since they could change between now and actually "going gold" during beta tests)
Old September 24, 2001, 14:04   #5
Pembleton
Prince

I still don't understand. What makes the info about MP different from any other information that's been released. For example, it was earlier stated that Chinese were scientific/industrious, but that has changed recently and they gave notice of the change.

You said no permission from "publisher", which I assume is Infrogames (spelling?). Did you mean to say that there's possibly a contract with a third party such the Microsoft Zone or GameSpy?
Old September 24, 2001, 14:21   #6
Melios
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Pembleton
I still don't understand. What makes the info about MP different from any other information that's been released. For example, it was earlier stated that Chinese were scientific/industrious, but that has changed recently and they gave notice of the change.
There is a big difference between the info about Multiplayer and the Chinese abilities: The Chinese abilities isn't something that would be critical to the publisher, much less be put in an advertisement or on the box.

Quote:
You said no permission from "publisher", which I assume is Infrogames (spelling?). Did you mean to say that there's possibly a contract with a third party such the Microsoft Zone or GameSpy?
Yeah, Infogrames, the publisher. What does MS Gaming Zone & Gamespy have to do with it? It's the publisher who is responsible for details about something like Multiplayer.
Old September 24, 2001, 14:30   #7
Shiva
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Melios

Yeah, Infogrames, the publisher. What does MS Gaming Zone & Gamespy have to do with it? It's the publisher who is responsible for details about something like Multiplayer.
Hes thinking that maybe they might have a deal with a third party to host a meeting place or service for multiplayer games or that maybe they're in talks to get one. Possible.
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old September 24, 2001, 14:46   #8
Takeshi
Warlord

One crazy possibility, if you're a believer in Occam's Razor, is that they HAVEN'T DECIDED yet if it's going to be included or not.
Old September 24, 2001, 19:27   #9
Melios
Chieftain

I wouldn't know about that.
Old October 6, 2001, 18:20   #10
Melios
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Takeshi
One crazy possibility, if you're a believer in Occam's Razor, is that they HAVEN'T DECIDED yet if it's going to be included or not.
Occam's Razor?
Old October 6, 2001, 18:23   #11
Nemo
Prince

in www.firaxis.com/civ3 (when it existed) there was an FAQ that stated MP would be included. however, aver www.civ3.com came into existance, the MP feature has fanished from all sites. BUT it was ORIGNINALLY stated to be included IN THE FALL RELEASE.
Old October 6, 2001, 18:31   #12
Melios
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Nemo
in www.firaxis.com/civ3 (when it existed) there was an FAQ that stated MP would be included. however, aver www.civ3.com came into existance, the MP feature has fanished from all sites. BUT it was ORIGNINALLY stated to be included IN THE FALL RELEASE.
In my first post I quoted what the FAQ now says, and it doesn't rule out that MP will be in initial release.
Old October 6, 2001, 18:56   #13
Nemo
Prince

Quote:
In my first post I quoted what the FAQ now says, and it doesn't rule out that MP will be in initial release.
yep yep. it is a pretty good toss up right now. 50/50 either way.
Old October 6, 2001, 21:07   #14
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

i say no mp in original. id prefer if it was better and bundled with other neat stuff - i wont play mp if its the same as civ2 - too long and boring
Old October 6, 2001, 21:13   #15
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 14:45
Quote:
Occam's Razor?
Occam's Razor is a belief made by a guy named Occam. He said that the simplest explanation is the most probable, but I think he had some notes that excluded Civ III MP from this rule, but they got burned. Then he forgot.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old October 6, 2001, 21:32   #16
Shiva
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by dainbramaged13
i say no mp in original. id prefer if it was better and bundled with other neat stuff - i wont play mp if its the same as civ2 - too long and boring
Better pack up and head for the hills Dain cause the MP zealots are going to tar and feather you for such a statement
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old October 6, 2001, 22:10   #17
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiva

Better pack up and head for the hills Dain cause the MP zealots are going to tar and feather you for such a statement
"I Have a dream... that one day, SP-ers and MP-ers will stand together *first tomatoe is thrown* and that little SP-ers will be able to post on the same threads *second, third, and fourth all hit podium* as littl MP-ers, and that they will rise up *tomatoe hits Sam in face, bringing crows into uproar*
Old October 6, 2001, 22:15   #18
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 14:45
Quote:
Originally posted by dainbramaged13

"I Have a dream... that one day, SP-ers and MP-ers will stand together *first tomatoe is thrown* and that little SP-ers will be able to post on the same threads *second, third, and fourth all hit podium* as littl MP-ers, and that they will rise up *tomatoe hits Sam in face, bringing crows into uproar*

PS - you pulled a Dan Quayle. Hint: he spelled "potato" as "potatoe"

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!