Old September 25, 2001, 17:13   #1
Xmudder
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Gamestar video notes
I finally got the gamestar video up and running and I noticed something. It took that little city 10 turns to grow to a size 2. If you look at the city view screen, you will see it makes 4 food per turn. I'd guess that expansing to a size 2 city requires a mere 20 food, but 40 from there on up.
10 turns is also how long it took to go from a 1 radius city to a 2 radius city through culture. 10 turns with a 1 culture/turn palace. I also believe that you start out with a workable radius of 1, which improves later in the game. "Workable radius grows, but slower than culture boundaries" someone once said.
And at a production of 2, you can build 2 10 shield or 1 20 shield unit in that time. Being able to crank out Jaguar warriors every 5 turns for exploration would be powerful, assuming you have enough cities and trade to support them.
I wonder how much the 0.0.2/2 scouts cost to build and support. Apparently starting with 1 the very first turn is quite powerful under Expansionist... unless someone captures him

The other thing I noticed is that you can choose which tech you want to research, and then queue up the techs to be researched. The mouse pointer touched literature, and both alphabet and writing lit up as well. I wonder if you research a random tech from those you have selected, or if it actually goes in the order they were selected.
Old September 25, 2001, 17:21   #2
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 07:48
what is this gamestar video you speak of? it sounds intriguing

is it the pre order video?
Old September 25, 2001, 17:40   #3
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 09:48
dooo telll
Old September 25, 2001, 18:55   #4
Pggar
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 10:48
I guess you are right about the food, the city screens in civ3.com shows that you need only 40 food to grow.
Old September 25, 2001, 20:30   #5
Xmudder
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:48
I got it over at civfanatics.net. It's in German, a 1 min or so video from the game magazine's CD-rom. It's 16 megs.

http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads...estar_divx.avi

The english traslation can be found in the middle of the page:

http://www.civfanatics.com/index.shtml?days=month

Something I noticed from the pre-order video stills posted on another thread - Washington had a size 20 food box. I'm not sure what size city it is, but it looked like it was producing 3 shields and a bunch of commerce. Only improvements were a palace and a temple.