joseph1944

Empire Earth
Is anybody else playing the Beta?

Old September 25, 2001, 21:26   #2
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 08:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
NO! I was rejected I really want to see some reviews before I buy it, because I have a feeling they bit off more than they could chew on this one.
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old September 25, 2001, 21:28   #3
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 07:48
havn't played the beta, didn't know there was one. but i definately plan on buying the game. If it turns out they've bit off more that they can chew (as MacTBone says) then i can always take it back for a full refund. But it looks pretty damn promising at this point.

-theonion.com
Old September 26, 2001, 18:56   #4
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by connorkimbro
havn't played the beta, didn't know there was one. but i definately plan on buying the game. If it turns out they've bit off more that they can chew (as MacTBone says) then i can always take it back for a full refund. But it looks pretty damn promising at this point.
If you go to their site (Sierra) and it will tell you which stores you can go to and pre-order the game and received the Beta.
I have the Beta and playing it. You have to play on the internet only, however you can play a solo game by hosting the game and play against the Computer.
You can only play 3 time period only. Imperial Age, Industrial Age and the Atomic Age WW I. If you do not fool around with each Age, you can go from Imperial to WW I in about 20 to 25 min. of clock time. There are two Great Leader that change with the Age.
3 types of cannon, 2 horse soldier, however the horse soldier can not be built after the Industrial Age. Tanks are the British Mark 1 and the German A7V. You can also build the M16 Anti-Aircraft Truck. Planes 3. Foot Soldier 7 I think.
It plays just like AOE. No CRASHES yet. It is 3D.

Old September 30, 2001, 11:21   #5
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 01:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
So the real question then Joseph1944, is whether the game is worth buying. Is it?
Old September 30, 2001, 14:50   #6
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by Russell
So the real question then Joseph1944, is whether the game is worth buying. Is it?
If you like playing AOE and AOKs go ahead, if not don't buy. For the hard core people who love to play war this is it. They come to you real quick. In the Beta they (Computer AI) can build many town centers were you can only build one. So you have to take the fight to them or they will hit you long and hard.

Old October 1, 2001, 18:36   #7
tniem
King

Local Time: 08:48
Is the game very balanced? It seems like it is a little hard for RTS in that extended period of time.
Old October 1, 2001, 21:15   #8
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by tniem
Is the game very balanced? It seems like it is a little hard for RTS in that extended period of time.
Well I downloaded the update last night. They added two more time period and now you have to mine gold to buy unites. The AI killed me in about 30 min. clock time. I had no change at all.
The time now start at Res. I played on Easy and small Con. The AI appears to have unlimited resource and the Human does not.

Old October 26, 2001, 23:55   #9
joseph1944

Moving this one back to the top so other may post.

Old October 27, 2001, 09:03   #10
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 13:48
Always a good sign when they have make the computer cheat like hell to be a challange...
Old October 27, 2001, 09:12   #11
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 15:48
I basiocally like the general idea of Empire Earth, but the grpahics don't look too nice for me.... the graphics of Age of Empires were a lot better, an there was that special feeling... whilst Empre Earth looks... wel looks odd... also, war has changed over the times... you can't play a present time game on the same map as an ancient time one... in AoE you could see the river flowingthrough the map, with some islands in it etc... that's the area where ancient time wars were fought... but nowadays, they're fought on a large scale area, how do they want to reproduce that with a RTS game? I'll have to study the whole game a bit more... but then, German mags usually suck and give only a very limited overview of the game.. so if anyone could tell me something about the technological advances on a small RTS map, I'd be grateful
Old October 27, 2001, 09:26   #12
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 13:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
you can't play a present time game on the same map as an ancient time one... in AoE you could see the river flowingthrough the map, with some islands in it etc... that's the area where ancient time wars were fought... but nowadays, they're fought on a large scale area
Ancient wars where large scale aswell, and playing on a small map to simulate an entire war is just as silly in ancient times as it is in modern.
Old October 27, 2001, 09:50   #13
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 15:48
so will there be big large-scale maps in Empire Earth?

they had those in AOK as well, just that a so-called mediterranean sea could give space for a few hundred ships if you get the point... you had a single building where originally there were cities, and a realistically large map would use tons of memory and dis space...
Old October 27, 2001, 17:52   #14
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 01:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Release date announced!
The game will be shipping to American stores on November 13th and the rest of the world on about November 16th according to Avault. See http://avault.com/news/displaynews.a...0262001-112737.