View Poll Results: How should the date be rendered?
BC/AD 61 59.22%
BCE/CE 14 13.59%
We should use the French Revolutionary calendar! 14 13.59%
Who cares? 14 13.59%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 26, 2001, 14:03   #31
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich
You know it's pretty sad that people are all uppity about the date system. BC/AD is the way it has been and the way it should be period. The BCE/CE date system is the same thing only it doesn't offend atheists. Given what's going on in the world today it's just petty to flip your lid because you see BC/AD. There's too many other petty little things that bother people. Does it really matter? Ask yourself, does political correctness/incorrectness really matter in the end? Live and let be. We got other beastly things to worry about like terrorism.
Speaking as someone who is 1) Not an athiest and 2) isn't uppity, I must stress that the BCE/CE method of dating history has nothing to do with mollifying atheists. It is about incorporating non-European histories into a global view of history. To do this, we must take into account that most of the world is not of Judeo-Christian background. I think the BCE/CE method is the easiest way of avoiding massive overhauls of the dating system while still acknowledging history is written by all who participate, not just Europeans.
Old September 26, 2001, 14:06   #32
CobraA1
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:48
Location: North of the Arctic Circle, south of Canada; Minnesota, USA
Doesn't really matter to me. Whatever they choose, you can change the text file if you don't like it. It's not like it changes the gameplay or anything.
Old September 26, 2001, 15:00   #33
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 09:48
like i said before, it doesnt really matter.

Last edited by jdd2007; September 27, 2001 at 11:11.
Old September 26, 2001, 16:41   #34
PGM
Prince

Local Time: 13:48
Quote:
Originally posted by fluffy
Thinking about it, why isn't his birthyear 0AD, as '1AD' means 'one year after his birth' and '1BC' means 'one year before his birth?? Seems like there is a year missing....
The Roman culture didn't "have" the number 0. So, there was never a year 0, and Jesus was born on 1AD.
That is also the explanation to why the 21st century didn't begin until 2001. If there had been a year 0, the 21st century would have started on 2000.
Old September 26, 2001, 18:58   #35
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 09:48
you guys are taking this poll too sreriously.. this poll is a joke, i suggested it on the other forum as a joke, and the person who posted it knows it is a joke. how come you cant see it!?
Old September 26, 2001, 21:01   #36
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by PGM

The Roman culture didn't "have" the number 0. So, there was never a year 0, and Jesus was born on 1AD.
That is also the explanation to why the 21st century didn't begin until 2001. If there had been a year 0, the 21st century would have started on 2000.
I would also like to mention that Jesus was not, in fact, born in 1 AD. He was born sometime between 4 BC and 6 BC. Gregory screwed up his arithmetic in divising his calendar and got the year wrong. So technically we should be in the year 2005 to 2007 right now.

Cheers.
Old September 27, 2001, 03:02   #37
fluffy
Warlord

edited

Last edited by fluffy; September 27, 2001 at 03:07.
Old September 27, 2001, 03:04   #38
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 15:48
Quote:
Originally posted by dainbramaged13
you guys are taking this poll too sreriously.. this poll is a joke, i suggested it on the other forum as a joke, and the person who posted it knows it is a joke. how come you cant see it!?
It's kinda scary to see all those people taking this poll that seriously
Old September 27, 2001, 04:12   #39
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 14:48
Quote:
Originally posted by dainbramaged13
He's right.

But you can post a poll here about anything and people will get into a historical argument. It's entertainment. So just sit back and enjoy the show.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old September 27, 2001, 04:26   #40
campmajor!
Prince

Well, I vote for BC/AD, but I won't argue with Boris, considering his signature....
Old September 27, 2001, 04:42   #41
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

come to think of it, BC/AD makes no sense at all. I've played games where I changed the tech paradigm to 100/10 and hadn't researched monotheism till the year 1500 or so. How could Christ have walked on the earth if there wasn't monotheism? I mean, he could have walked there, but he wouldn't be "christ" as in son of the one and only God.
Old September 27, 2001, 04:46   #42
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by campmajor!
Well, I vote for BC/AD, but I won't argue with Boris, considering his signature....
hehe
Old September 27, 2001, 06:27   #43
Oldenbarnevelt
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
BCE/CE is now the standard and accepted method of date notation among historical scholars. It is done because "Before Christ" is meaningless to 3/5ths of the world.

I think, being a historical simulation of many different civs, CIV3 should either do the BCE/CE or simply start at year 1 and go to 6000, as someone else said on another board.
I couldn't agree more! Using CE will make "our" time scale more palatable to those with other systems -- Muslims, Jews, Chinese, ... -- and also to the growing numbers of atheists and agnostics in the Western world. Time measuring is fundamental and universal; it should no longer reflect religious bias. CIV, of all games, should be neutral and universal, and therefore adopt CE.
Old September 27, 2001, 06:54   #44
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by campmajor!
You are just jealous of my irrefutable, magnificent and airtight logic and reasoning power. Bask in my sunshine!

Hee.

Old September 27, 2001, 06:55   #45
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Talking about the timescale...why don't the whole world not change to a whole new kind of date, which means today is year 0 and there are 3 sundays a week
Old September 27, 2001, 07:30   #46
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Talking about the timescale...why don't the whole world not change to a whole new kind of date, which means today is year 0 and there are 3 sundays a week
For that matter, we could all be like the French and work 3 days a week.
Old September 27, 2001, 07:54   #47
Dugrik
Call to Power PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 07:48
Quote:
Originally posted by fluffy

Thinking about it, why isn't his birthyear 0AD, as '1AD' means 'one year after his birth' and '1BC' means 'one year before his birth?? Seems like there is a year missing....
Because when the Julian calendar years were renumbered to use Christ's birth as the starting point, Europeans did not have, nor could they conceive of, the number zero. The number zero and the base ten numbering system were not adopted in Europe until the fourteenth century. Thus there is no Year 0.

It was my understanding that historians have placed the events described in Luke 2:1-2 in the year 4 BCE.
Old September 27, 2001, 08:39   #48
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dugrik

Because when the Julian calendar years were renumbered to use Christ's birth as the starting point, Europeans did not have, nor could they conceive of, the number zero. The number zero and the base ten numbering system were not adopted in Europe until the fourteenth century. Thus there is no Year 0.

It was my understanding that historians have placed the events described in Luke 2:1-2 in the year 4 BCE.
Also, "Anno Domini" does not mean after birth. It means "In the Year of Our Lord." So 1 AD is the first year of Our Lord.

According to J.M. Roberts' excellent A History of the World (Penguin publishers, highly recommend it), there still is not a consensus, and likely never will be. A lot of people say 4 BCE because it makes it nice and pat that Jesus would have been 33 in 30 CE, when he was crucified, and the Bible says he was in his 33rd year.
Old September 27, 2001, 08:47   #49
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 08:48
JellyDonut?

Is chow allowed in the barracks Pvt. Pyle? Are you allowed to eat jelly donuts Pvt. Pyle?
Old September 27, 2001, 10:16   #50
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:48
Use the Jewish calendar!
Old September 27, 2001, 10:22   #51
seer_98
Chieftain

BCE/CE
AD - Anno Domini - "in the year of our lord"
Well he isn't my lord. I can't say, "The year is 2001 AD.", because this means "2001 in the year of our lord". 2001 CE is fine with me.

BC - Before Christ. Christ isn't a name or a title. It means the messiah as foretold in the old testament. Even using BC concedes a religeous point, I'm not willing to concede (ie That Jesus was Christ.) If you are a jew you believe christ hasn't come yet. Atheists don't even believe he will ever exist. Only christians concede Jesus was Christ. Implicit in this term is an inherent belief in Christianity. BCE works fine for me.

AD/BC aren't used in large parts of the world. Perhaps firaxis will change it to BCE/CE in some of its country customizations. I hope they do it for the American release, as it really shouldn't confuse anyone.

This isn't political correctness. It is courtesy. Not calling a person on the street f*ckface or religeous freak isn't political correctness either. It is also common manner/coutesy.
Old September 27, 2001, 10:48   #52
Gangerolf
Prince

Quote:
This isn't political correctness. It is courtesy. Not calling a person on the street f*ckface or religeous freak isn't political correctness either. It is also common manner/coutesy.
Of course it's PC. It's PC in the same way as saying "African American" instead of "Negro".
Political correctness is appropriate in some cases, but in other it's just plain silly.
Old September 27, 2001, 12:42   #53
seer_98
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangerolf

... as BCE/CE seems to be some hypocritical political correct bullshit (no offense).
I fail to see how its hypocritical. And I still fail to see how its politically correct. I think the term you were searching for is just "correct".
Old September 27, 2001, 13:03   #54
Cookie Monster
King

Just curious......

Has this discussion ever been debated before? What I mean is, has the BC/BCE AD/CE issue ever been debated at all at anytime in history other than the past 3 years with such passion in the Western World?
Old September 27, 2001, 13:17   #55
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich
Just curious......

Has this discussion ever been debated before? What I mean is, has the BC/BCE AD/CE issue ever been debated at all at anytime in history other than the past 3 years with such passion in the Western World?
Yes, repeatedly, bitterly, ad nauseum.

But, among historians, BCE/CE seems to be winning out.
Old September 27, 2001, 13:41   #56
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

I object to our "common era" being defined by the supposed date of birth of a historical figure who might or might not have existed, and who certainly has been more divisive than uniting. In what way is the age after the 11th of Nivôse in MDCCXCI before the Revolution any way the start of said "common era"?

Vive Le Calendaire Jacobien!
Old September 27, 2001, 19:38   #57
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Whoa...
Quote:
I object to our "common era" being defined by the supposed date of birth of a historical figure who might or might not have existed
Hold on there, partner!

If you're referring to Jesus, there is no historical doubt that he did indeed exist. Jesus was certainly a real man. He is documented in more than just the Bible...Roman records refer to him, as do local Hebrew records.

The question is a theological one (his divinity), not his reality.

Cheers.
Old September 27, 2001, 21:25   #58
CobraA1
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:48
Location: North of the Arctic Circle, south of Canada; Minnesota, USA
Put Common Era in. I don't mind. It'll seem strange to me, being raised with BC/AD, but it won't change the game any. It can probably be edited anyway.
Old September 28, 2001, 01:20   #59
jdlessl
Warlord

I'd just go with starting the game at year 0 and counting upwards. What calender is used within the year isn't really important since Civ doesn't deal with time periods <1 year. However, mods of the game certainly will so the game should be customizable to use any calendar system it wants.

--
Jared Lessl
Old September 28, 2001, 03:55   #60
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Snapcase
I object to our "common era" being defined by the supposed date of birth of a historical figure who might or might not have existed, and who certainly has been more divisive than uniting. In what way is the age after the 11th of Nivôse in MDCCXCI before the Revolution any way the start of said "common era"?

Vive Le Calendaire Jacobien!
Had I known a fellow revolutionary were among us, I might have wished you Bonne Année earlier this week.

Liberté! Egalité! Fraternité!

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!