Old September 26, 2001, 11:28   #1
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 08:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Prototype morale bonus
I have not seen a thread on this, so i wondered if many players had noticed.
My first prototype of each new combat unit has a 1 level morale bonus over subsequent units.
Old September 26, 2001, 11:36   #2
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 07:49
I believed that it is a documented feature . Thanks for the reminder though.
Old September 26, 2001, 13:24   #3
Deimos
Prince

Local Time: 08:49
Not only have I noticed this, I count on it! Especially in the early game.

I strive to prototype new weapons and armor on a rover chassis and use these "higher-than-average-for-my-empire morale" units to combat the native units that show up around the fringes of my empire.

If I can get away with it, I'll sometimes wait until I can put up a CC before I build most of my prototypes. Also, post D:AP or MMI, I will stop prototyping weapons on rover chassis' and begin using airframes, esp. at a base with an AC.

Also, IIRC, the first time you build a particular chassis type (land-sea-air), that is also considered a prototype and results in the morale increase. This feature dissapears when certain techs are discovered, e.g. the tech discovery "auto-prototypes" a particular chassis. I don't know for sure which techs do this for each chassis type. I believe that PlaNets does this for the rover chassis.

Another thing is that prototyping both a weapon and an armor on the same unit only results in 1 morale level increase. This is fine if you need to prototype stuff quickly, but you loose out on haveing the morale increased on more than one unit.
Old September 26, 2001, 15:10   #4
Fitz
King

Local Time: 05:49
I'm playing a doctrine:defense game (ala Vel style) and every rover I have is a prototype. Missed Gatling only so far, as it was auto-protyped by Missles.

1 each of Laser, Impact, Missile, Chaos, Synthmetal, Plasma, Silksteel.

All 7 are now clean Chaos Silksteel.

Unfortunately, IIRC prototyping Plasma also get the Res & Pulse versions, so you can't get another two out of those armors, and missile protypes Res-lasers.
Old September 26, 2001, 16:35   #5
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 02:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Chassis are prototyped automatically when a pre-designed unit with the chassis is researched.
Infantry - No pre-req(Scout Patrol, CP)
Rover - Plan.Nets (probe team, which uses Rover)
Foil - Doc.Flex (Transport Foil, which uses Foil)

Prehaps Locusts prototype air chassis? I know you only need to prototype one air chassis to prototype them all.

However, I have noticed an anomoly where in the later game new weapons get prototyped automatically, and I can swear I havn't mind controlled any units which use said weapon.
Old September 26, 2001, 21:49   #6
CoffeeBreath
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:49
yeah, this makes sense because prototype, or experimental units or weapons are only given to elite units.