Old August 4, 1999, 15:53   #1
KingTitus
Settler

Local Time: 00:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I need ideas, units and HELP!!
Okay, Im creating a after Centauri scenario. But im having truoble with ideas for how my planet should look and how far I should have the techs advanced. I also need help on events.txt, I always have problems with it. HELP!!!
Old August 4, 1999, 15:55   #2
KingTitus
Settler

I also need help on governments and tech setup.
Old August 4, 1999, 16:13   #3
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 18:00
Local Date: October 30, 2010
KT, you need to be more specific. Start with the map. What do you want it to look like?
Old August 4, 1999, 19:01   #4
Cam
King

Local Time: 09:30
King Titus,

You possibly should determine what type of scenario you wish to develop - is it going to be 'Alpha Centauri'-like in that seven tribes land with a single pod, each with their respective economic, spiritual, scientific, etc. leanings? Is it a fully fledged 200 city bloodfest? Is it going to be like the X-Com scenario with a 'you vs. the aliens' shoot-out? A technology driven, hunting adventure (along the lines of Jules Verne)? What's your intended structure?

Are you planning to replicate the tech' tree and graphics from SM's Alpha Centauri, or is it going to be a more general futuristic game?

Events.txt is focussed around reinforcing if not developing the theme - so what's the plot? If you've not got the instructions or yet read it, information on events is in the file C:\MPS\Civ2\Macro.txt. Also check out the Scenario League's design tips are for further ideas, currently at; sleague.apolyton.net/Design%20Tips.html

As for governments, ensure that if you have very few technologies distributed at the start, use an early form of government, and if you intend to start with the bulk of the tech' tree already researched by the tribes, feel free to use a/the later form(s) of government. This should help ensure that the rate of technology acquisition does not get out of hand.
Old August 5, 1999, 13:38   #5
KingTitus
Settler

Okay, Ive already got a map, Im talking about terrain. And I want the theme to be something like: After the civs have colonized centauri, this is where 4 of them go next, the other 3 civs are aliens who are about the same place in tech. I want my tech tree to take up right where AC lets off.
Old August 5, 1999, 20:13   #6
Cam
King

Local Time: 09:30
Unfortunately I only saw the demo of Alpha Centauri, so I'm not exactly sure where "AC left off".

Given you have alien and human tribes, ensure you are familiar in how to develop split technology trees. See Scenario League design tips #15 and #16 which ironically deals with an example on alien and human tech paths (use the link in my previous post).

If you are using a graphics program with a 'colorise' function, or one that can change the 'red-green-blue' ratios, you can recolor the existing terrain tiles fairly simply if you don't intend to 'borrow' terrain from other games.

In terms of technologies, as well as the SMAC ones you can check out other futuristic scenarios such as Fantastic Worlds' 'Mars' or 'Best on Net 2 > Mammoth' for good advance names (two scenarios of possibly hundreds that you can consider).

Again, consider winning objectives - total annihilation? Reaching a specific technology? Taking out a particular unit or city? Space flight? These will help flesh out your plot and give you some leads for your events file.