Old September 28, 2001, 21:21   #31
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Thanks for the info, Mike

Furthering my previous post:
I will, however, be using the governors to control where my people work in the city. In my current Civ 2 game, im terraforming land like crazy, and when i next go into the city view, they are still harvesting unimproved tiles, when there is grasslands w/ farm right next to it...

That i wouldnt mind letting the governor control, if its competent, which by all indications it is
Old September 28, 2001, 21:27   #32
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 07:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
While I'm sure this function will be useful for some players, I still won't use them unless I really don't care what a city does or doesn't do (usually in the latter stages of the game where I am concentrating on an offensive war).

Other than that, there is nothing the AI, particularly governors, can do which I can't do better.

If I am too lazy to pay attention to exactly what I to do to play the game, I might as well not play at all.
Old September 28, 2001, 21:35   #33
Rakki
Warlord

Local Time: 23:50
when your borders are secure and your armies are ready, there's not that much need to worry about what your city's getting up to anyway.
Old September 29, 2001, 16:50   #34
CobraA1
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:50
Location: North of the Arctic Circle, south of Canada; Minnesota, USA
Some people can handle micromanagement, some people can't. It seems that both sides can have their way in Civ III, so the point is now rather moot. Play how you like. Change it if you don't like it.

Old September 29, 2001, 17:53   #35
Ralf
King

Local Time: 14:50
The Sistine chapel-picture in this screenshot looks like its located on a clickable button. Most probably it leads to the build-manager/governor-screen. Come to think of it; we havent seen any screenshot of that important manager-screen, yet. Its high time.

I really hope though, that its still possible to play easily without both governors and build-queues. I never use them - I really prefer to control everything hands-on. In order to do that easily, I need automatic map-recenterings + unit & possibly also city-flashing, whenever new orders is needed. Preferably also automatic changes to that city's build-mode. I just hate too many formally executed mouse-clicks that leads to (for that game-situation) bleeding obvious target-screens.

Please Firaxis, at least make above a tweakable option for those who really like to play the game hands-on & step-by-step. I dont wont to be forced to look back and forth on some tiny passive message-screen, that "discreetly" informs me about this or that city needing new orders. This is not enough for us who play the game in above way.

Last edited by Ralf; September 29, 2001 at 18:39.
Old September 29, 2001, 18:00   #36
CobraA1
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:50
Location: North of the Arctic Circle, south of Canada; Minnesota, USA
You really should've read Mike's reply on the first page.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf
The Sistine chapel-picture in this screenshot looks like its located on a clickable button. Most probably it leads to the build-manager/governor-screen. Come to think of it; we havent seen any screenshot of that important manager-screen, yet. Its high time.

I really hope though, that its still possible to play easily without both governors and build-queues. I never use them - I really prefer to controll everything hands-on. In order to do that easily, I need automatic map-recenterings + unit & possibly also city-flashing whenever new orders is needed. Preferably also automatic changes to that city's build-mode. I just hate unnecessary, formally executed mouse-clicks, that leads to the bleeding obvious.

Please Firaxis, at least make above a tweakable option for those who really like to play the game hands-on & step-by-step. I dont wont to be forced to look back and forth on some tiny passive message-screen, that "discreetly" informs me about this or that city needing new orders. This is really not enough for us who prefer to play the game this way.
Old September 29, 2001, 18:14   #37
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by CobraA1
You really should've read Mike's reply on the first page.
You totally miss the point, CobraA1. My previous reply was a direct response to Mike's reply.

I have nothing against that most gamers perhaps use governors and build-queues - nothing at all. But I dont want to use these governors, and I dont want to use long build-queues. I simply prefer (= enjoy better) to play the game hands-on & step-by-step - but it should be possible to do this easily (like it was in Civ-2). Its as simple as that. And I hope that the team make the game flexible & adjustable in this respect.

Last edited by Ralf; September 29, 2001 at 18:28.
Old September 29, 2001, 19:21   #38
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Governors sound good so far.

Until about 12-15 cities I will micromanage them, but in the late game I am going to give the governors a chance, if they are truly programmable (that is, if I can teach them to do quite exactly what I would do in a certain situation.)