Old August 7, 1999, 09:26   #1
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 01:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Need help with settler functions...
Does anybody know if it`s possible to prevent
settlers from performing certain functions?
I especially need to know if it is possible to stop them building cities and mines.
P.S I don`t want to stop civs from building
settlers, I just want to limit their functions slightly
Old August 7, 1999, 11:06   #2
Dragoon
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:00
You could change the Terrain section in rules.txt. The effects of mining and irrigation are there, now change for example Hills, 4th column: "yes, 3" to "no, 0". Now your settlers cannot mine hills. Change all the terrains in this way. As far as I know you cannot prevent settlers from building cities.
Old August 7, 1999, 13:02   #3
Paul Hanson
King

Thanks for the help on that. Does it work with any settler function ie. irrigating?
Old August 7, 1999, 19:03   #4
Dragoon
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:00
Have a look at Rules.txt. You can change the values / turn on/off (by typing yes/no) of:
-Mining;
-Irrigation (and thus farmland);
-Transformation.
You can settlers from building railroads/fortresses/farmland/airfields by taking away the prerequisites (=railroad/ construction/refrigeration/radio).
So roadbuilding/founding cities are the only two functions you cannot alter.
But then again: with the 'cosmic principles' you can set road movement to 1/1 and remove road graphics from Terrain1.gif, so roads don't bother you anymore.
But the big question for me is: why do you want to do this?
Old August 8, 1999, 06:36   #5
Ken Hinds
Prince

Local Time: 19:00
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Dragoon,

A while back I proposed building a Pre-Civ Scenario that would start well before 4000 B.C. and end at approx. 4000 - 3900 B.C. I also wanted to have settlers not build roads or mines because very early man did not have the technology yet to build roads and definately didn't move in large enough groups to create their own roads like a herd of bufflo could.

I was thinking along the lines of having tribe names like Neanderthal, Cro-Magnon, Homo-Erectus, etc.

You would be discovering the very early techs such as smoking and drying meat, Chipping stone for tools, etc.

Eventually you would reach the point where your tribe would actually be a civilization.
Paul may be trying to so the same thing or something similar.

Ken
Old August 8, 1999, 08:54   #6
Paul Hanson
King

Dragoon,

The reason that I want to do all this stuff is this. In the scenario I`m working on, I wanted to simulate mineral wealth and such in certain areas, but I`d used up all the avaliable terrain slots so I needed to use the mines. The problem was, the mines were intended to be diamond mines, but I didn`t want the player to just mine anywhere an find diamonds, it just doesn`t make sense. And with the cities. This scenario is a war of independence style scenario set on a different planet, with made up names and such. I wanted the conquering army to have to trek a long way through rebel territory to reach the cities, but if the settlers are able to build cities, the AI tends to build extra cities, which I didn`t want (there are pretty large gaps between cities).

Anyway, thanks again for the help.