Old June 27, 2000, 01:51   #1
Roman Wheat
Settler

Local Time: 22:39
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Global Warming
I hate it. It ruins the game and years of developnent. I've figured out a slow and difficult process to prevent this event from devastating my cities, but I wan't to know if you can turn it off.

Also, since I want to know-- After reaching around the year, oh say...2075, my game reset to 1985 (the game continued, it just had the date wrong).

Anybody?
Old June 27, 2000, 10:19   #2
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 17:39
To play a game without the threat of global warming... just start a game, enable the scenario editor, and choose the option that stops polution. Save the game as a scenario, and then just load it and play. Yes, the cheat flag will be up, but you won't have to worry about polution anymore.

As far as the game year resetting, I've never played a game that far, so I wouldn't know
Old June 27, 2000, 18:54   #3
Black Bart

that doesn't stop pollution from nuclear missles does it? like in the ww79 scenario playing as china it's impossible to prevent global warming. As the US or USSR I can have a horde of engineers working- even in hostile country, but China takes to long to build up strength. I'll change the scenario if that does apply to nukes.

Old June 28, 2000, 06:26   #4
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 15:39
I have never had global warming. but then I have never had nuclear war and never build manhattan. the other civs seem disinclined to build it or apollo. I find a regular war much more intriguing.
Almost all my games get played into the future to some degree, but I never saw the time counter get messed up. my current slow game is up to 2578 with no problems.
Old June 28, 2000, 14:13   #5
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 22:39
Global warming is a good way to hurt the AI (I know, some of you can't believe the AI could be winning at this point in the game... but some of us don't play 23 hours a day). I can recover from a bout of global warming much better than the AI.

Does global warming happen in MP?? I've never seen it. It seems that would be a nice weapon of sorts in MP as well.
Old June 29, 2000, 00:54   #6
Comrade Dan
King

Local Time: 10:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Some notes.

1. Global warming will happen if ANY pollution is around - that includes nukes.

2. You can enable Cheat Code, Scenario parameters, And turn the scenario flag on. You don't need to save it, but the score will still have SCENARIO and CHEATED.

3. The Effects of Global Warming.

(I purposly made up maps and cheated to find this out)

There are several terrains. And some of them turn into swamp at the end of global warming.

The following terrain isn't affected by global warming: Ocean, Mountains, Glacier, Tundra, Hills, Swamps. Everything ele is.

First of all, the rising temperatures mean that forests turn into strips of plains, and swamps appear on the coast. The more that global warming happens, the faster forests go down, and more swamps appear. Soon, all Forests and Jungle will become Plains and Grassland, and after this happens, all flat terrain becomes Swamp. All improvements are destroyed if the terrain becomes Swamp.

This doesn't really affect you if you do the followng:
1. Solar Plants, Recycling Centres (short alternative) and Mass transit are your friends.
2. Build on mountains and hills. The civs on high ground do better than those on low ground.
3. Keep the popoulation low, or at least keep the amount of food VERY high at all times.
4. Coastal cities are hit first. They are a liability. Sell the improvements as fast as possible, and build another capital on high ground.
5. ONLY USE THIS AS A WEAPON IF THE ENEMY IS VERY COASTAL AND/OR HAVE BUILT ON FLAT AREAS!
Old June 29, 2000, 17:10   #7
Black Bart

But will pollution occur when using nukes when the pollution is turned off in scenario settings? I know this prevents regular pollution, but will it stop pollution from nukes?

Old June 30, 2000, 16:26   #8
Comrade Dan
King

Local Time: 10:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
There are some intresting things with nukes actually...

A nuclear detonation WILL ALWAYS PRODUCE POLLUTION!