Old October 4, 2001, 10:44   #61
Martinus
Prince

Local Time: 14:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
And I am still waiting for an answer to my question...
Old October 4, 2001, 10:48   #62
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Quote:
Originally posted by Martinus
Yeah, Locke spent his youth among Iqroquis. Actually he was brought up by chimpanzee who taught him basics of liberalism as we know it.
Will you please refrain from such racist remarks.
Old October 4, 2001, 12:20   #63
Fiil
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ribannah
Are you in favour of deleting all the ancient civs, then? Because otherwise I don't understand why you make this comparison.
Mathematics
Sorry if my statement was confusing. I was simply trying to point out that the egyptians mathematical skills were not very advanced. And as Boris Godunov stated they never passed it on. Of course the Greeks may have been influenced but this has not been confirmed. Again it is their application (building the pyramids) that is remarkable, the arithmatics in itself was not.
At the same time I tried to point out that the time of the European Enlightenment was not part of the 'dark ages' in Europe. I got the feeling that you think Europe was all corrupted, cruel and non-developing before the Europeans encountered the Iroqouis people.

Quote:
(Machiavelli)
For the purposes of the game and progress of human civilization: yes. As a histiorical figure: of course not.
Machiavelli
OK, I don't want him in the game or anything, but this man laid the foundations for European absolutism and he was an inspiration to Nietzsche and Hitler. This may not seem very nice but is part of human civilization and progress none the less, just like nuclear weapons.

Quote:
That is not true. He was beheaded because he was against Henry proclaiming himself head of the church.
...and Henry proclaimed himself head of the church, because then he didn't have to obey the pope and could then marry again!

Quote:
There were other important factors such as the Printing Press (with Enlightenment, allowing Nationalism), as well as the wealth gained from Colonialism (together with Coal Mining -> Railroad leading to Industrialization in my tech tree).
I agree with you on your other factors, but I consider the Printing Press to be part of the Enlightenment. (The Enlightenment wouldn't have been the same without the printing press neither would the printing press have been such a success without the Enlightenment.)

Quote:
Or a democracy of one city, as I said earlier. Very true. Developments didn't stop after the Iroquois! All I am saying (with Firaxis) is that they played a part.
I agree with you completely, modern democracy hasn't anything else in common with the democracy in Athens than the name.
And maybe the Iroqouis played a part but this part is so tiny. And maybe only restricted to federal unions. And they were around two centuries ago, Babylonians on the other hand haven't been around for thousands years - and there's still sixty minutes in my clock.

Quote:
Well, talk to a random group of Iroquois and they won't know where Denmark is. Still they did business with each other, albeit briefly, in the 17th century.
You know, I'm not saying Danes should be in Civ3 - I even think the Vikings were a silly idea. I never played them!

Quote:
But this is why I think that the choices Firaxis makes about which civs to include in the game are relevant. A few months from now, at least some people will know a little about the Iroquois and their role in the advance of human civilization. Kudos to Firaxis! (That is, if they're going to drop that dog soldier as the Iroqouis UU .)
I like this part too. It's great if you learn a little history playing civ. But I think Firaxis chose the Iroqouis because they were:

1) Colorfull and unlike the other civs, and
2) Linving in America
Old October 4, 2001, 12:30   #64
Martinus
Prince

Quote:

Will you please refrain from such racist remarks.
What? Yeah, since you cannot produce counterarguments, just call me a racist (I didn't know chimpanzee had human rights, though).

And you still did not answer my question. What historical training do you have???
Old October 4, 2001, 13:02   #65
Ribannah
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by Fiil
Mathematics
Sorry if my statement was confusing. I was simply trying to point out that the egyptians mathematical skills were not very advanced.
That is true, but the first steps in mathematics were extremely difficult to make as it required a revolution in abstract thinking. Today most of us are still counting only to 10 on our fingers, while it's just as easy to count to 1023!

Quote:
At the same time I tried to point out that the time of the European Enlightenment was not part of the 'dark ages' in Europe. I got the feeling that you think Europe was all corrupted, cruel and non-developing before the Europeans encountered the Iroqouis people.
I am very much aware of that, you might want to take a look at my technology tree (the accompanying posts must be somewhere in Apolyton's cellar by now ). Comments are always welcome.

Quote:
Machiavelli
OK, I don't want him in the game or anything, but this man laid the foundations for European absolutism and he was an inspiration to Nietzsche and Hitler. This may not seem very nice but is part of human civilization and progress none the less, just like nuclear weapons.
Maybe they will put him in as a Spanish hero to appease the Bee

Quote:
I agree with you on your other factors, but I consider the Printing Press to be part of the Enlightenment.
Hmm, that is a way of looking at things. I'd like to hear your suggestions for the
changes this would have in my tree.

Quote:
And maybe the Iroqouis played a part but this part is so tiny.
Well, all we have to on is what the historians report, and they seem to agree that it was more than tiny. As a politician, I was impressed when I first saw the (English translation of) their constitution.

Quote:
You know, I'm not saying Danes should be in Civ3 - I even think the Vikings were a silly idea. I never played them!
I tried them out - once! They ran all over the place unwilling to follow my lead

Quote:
I like this part too. It's great if you learn a little history playing civ. But I think Firaxis chose the Iroqouis because they were:
1) Colorfull and unlike the other civs, and
2) Living in America
Very true. They did not have the same impact as the Dutch or the Arabs. But they were picked over other north-american tribes, and I think for good reasons.
Old October 4, 2001, 13:06   #66
Martinus
Prince

Quote:
And you still did not answer my question. What historical training do you have???
By the lack of answer I assume the answer is "none". You know what, it shows.
Old October 4, 2001, 13:31   #67
Jay Bee
staff
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 15:51
Quote:

Maybe they will put him in as a Spanish hero to appease the Bee
Dear, dear, remember: Macchiavelli was not Spanish. If you are going to try a silly joke at least do it the way your ignorance does not show in such a blatant manner. Uh, and the Spanish aren't in the game either just inncase you forgot it.
Old October 4, 2001, 14:47   #68
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:51
J.M. Roberts is perhaps the most widely-respected historian out there, and his books are quite authoritative. I will take his word over yours any day. His work is also well-cited from scholarly sources, unlike yours. I'm sorry, but the Egyptian tourism bureau is not a scholarly source, and they made no effort to back up their very dubious claims except with superficial similarities. That was government propoganda, my friend, and I'm a little disappointed you would believe it or introduce it to a debate as some sort of scholarly, factual evidence. It is nothing of the kind.

You also are displaying a disturbing tendency to introduce elements into the argument, and when I refute them making it sound like I brought them up as a point in my argument. This is highly disingenuous and wasting my time in the argument.

First, neither Roberts nor I made no claim (if you had actually read the quotes carefully, you'd see) that the Egyptians did not EMPLOY complex mathematics, masonry, surveying, etc. But the facts of history are that they did not propogate lasting cultural instutions beyond their controlled territory of the Nile. Had they not been so geographically isolated, it is unlikely they would have lasted for the 1000s of years they did. Proof? When they encountered civs that had the technology and means infiltrate their lands (Hyksos, Greeks, Romans), they crumpled easily. They had some very brief spurts of expansion, but these always ended in failure and failed to spread their culture. Egyptian culture took root nowhere else but Egypt.

As Roberts points out quite correctly, Egypt was surpassed by CONTEMPORARY civs, not later ones. Sumeria, Babylon and Judea all possessed far more complex and influential cultural achievements, whether it be in literature, art, mathematics, architecture, religion or philosophy. Your claim the Egyptians invented irrigation is 100% false. They weren't the first to use irrigation, the Sumerians were, and the Sumerian methods were for more effective and transferable to other regions. Egyptian irrigation was rudimentary and never used beyond the banks of the Nile, as it relied on the unique flooding patterns. Likewise, they used rudimentary math that wasn't remotely as complex as that of their contemporary neighbors in the Fertile Crescent.

Contrary to what another poster said, Egyptian religion and philosophy (which was actually non-existent outside very superficial religion) influenced neither the Greeks or Jews in religion or philosophy any great deal. Plato was Greek, and Ptolemy was a Greek Egyptian. Many historians actually think Greek religion influence the Egyptians rather than the other way around. As a side not, Ankhaton's monotheism did not take hold in Egypt and ended after his death. Egypt was not monotheistic from his rule on. In fact, he was most likely murdered by the Egyptian religious leaders for what they saw as heresy.

Overall, Roberts' thesis is quite correct in that aside from their extraordinary staying power and public works, Egyptian culture was not all that remarkable or rich. It did not offer a significant lasting contribution to future civilizations on the level other ancient cultures did. I understand why you and others fall prey to the common myths and misconceptions about Egypt's importance, but you should really rely more on scholarly work!

As for the Iroquois, I think someone almost hit the nail on the head when they wondered if you were just trying to assert a position that is historically unsupportable. Certainly, the Iroquois culture was unique and, when not confronted with significant outside forces, strong within its own realm. But just like with the Egyptians, the onset of much stronger cultures revealed their own culture's inherent weaknesses and allowed them to crumple before European civilization. I say "weakness" not as a judgement call on the quality of their culture, merely on its influence and adaptability. One of the fundamental weaknesses of Egyptian civilization was its incredible resistance to change.

Any assertion the Iroquois have had any more than a miniscule impact on world history is baseless and can only be inferred, as you have done, with superficial and dubious stretches of assumptions from non-scholarly sources. I hate to seem like a defender of the status quo, but the mere fact that in all the wealth of historical writings and documentation of the world the Iroquois figure as a mere footnote at best says something. And this it:

When compared to other cultures and civilizations of the world, the Iroquois culture is minor and mostly devoid of influence on world events.

Did they have some peripheral influence on American and Canadian cultures? Yes. Dramatic and world-altering? No. European culture has proven to be, to this point, history's most invasive and overpowering force. No culture in history has spread as far and wide to more people with such dramatic and world-altering results. After that, the next such great force is unquestionably Islam, particularly as it was propogated under the spread of Ottoman dominions from 600-1600 A.D. You can then go down the list. The Iroquois will not be high on that list, I guarantee you, for the vast majority of historians.

But please, continue. Say how you are right and the rest of the world is mad. We will watch in amusement!
Old October 4, 2001, 15:00   #69
Jay Bee
staff

Boris, two thumbs up. It has been said many times in the recent past but I do not think anybody has put it in such a brilliant manner.

BTW, her exact punchline is: "you guys are awfully ignorant". Go figure
Old October 4, 2001, 15:04   #70
Martinus
Prince

Great post, Boris.

Both for knowledge and keeping your head cool. I applaud.
Old October 4, 2001, 16:38   #71
Fiera
Emperor

* Another member of the Armada is summoned *

Hey, Ribannah rides again! So what's your latest claim again? Democracy and civil rights were given to the world by the Iroquois?

Oh, and I thought that the ancient Greeks...
Old October 4, 2001, 16:46   #72
Martinus
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Fiera
* Another member of the Armada is summoned *
BTW, what is that Armada stuff? I thought it reffers to the Spanish Armada, but I am a Pole and was called the same. Anyone knows why?
Old October 4, 2001, 16:48   #73
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 09:51
Boris, much of what you say is true, but to say that the Egyptians were surpassed by their contemporaries is problematic on various fronts.

#1--They not only used mathematics, astronomy, surveying, architecture, etc... they excelled at them. Study the Giza pyramid complex. It is, quite simply, a marvel of engineering. It is still not known how they accomplished such a task, and with such precision.

#2--Were they conquered by other peoples? Yes. But why is this a measure of a "superior" culture? Was German society superior to Polish society in the 1930s? Many of the invaders of Egypt had been warlike out of necessity, living amongst other cultures, all striving for supremacy. As you said, the Egyptians were insulated--they didn't have the military might their invaders did simply because they did not need such military might. This makes them inferior?

Please understand that I agree with most of your basic points, including as they regard the Iroquois, in general. Not a major force in history, but simply fascinating nonetheless, and they certainly fill a need within the game. And, after all, the game is about rewriting history, not reliving it.
Old October 4, 2001, 16:50   #74
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:

BTW, what is that Armada stuff? I thought it reffers to the Spanish Armada, but I am a Pole and was called the same. Anyone knows why?
It's an attempt at "Everyone is against me but I can take 'em all on at once" heroism.

That's pretty easy to do when one will simply ignore the facts one finds "inconvenient."
Old October 4, 2001, 16:53   #75
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer
Boris, much of what you say is true, but to say that the Egyptians were surpassed by their contemporaries is problematic on various fronts.

#1--They not only used mathematics, astronomy, surveying, architecture, etc... they excelled at them. Study the Giza pyramid complex. It is, quite simply, a marvel of engineering. It is still not known how they accomplished such a task, and with such precision.
Yeah, and to add...

Eratosthenes of Egypt theorized that the Earth was round, and tried to calculate the circumference based on limited data (the angle of the sun over two different cities in Egypt)

Estimated circumference: 43,000 km
Real polar circumference: 39,942 km

This was in 200 B.C.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old October 4, 2001, 17:09   #76
Ribannah
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Let's see if I can salvage something from the mud.

First, I don't really care about "authority". I make my own judgements from the basic material I find and by applying logic. Too often have I seen authority figures, in any field, produce total gibberish. However, at least you did provide a source to back up your statements, while the vultures circling this debate merely screech. So for that I respect you. Nonetheless ...:

Quote:
You also are displaying a disturbing tendency to introduce elements into the argument, and when I refute them making it sound like I brought them up as a point in my argument.
Where? And what do you think you refuted?

Quote:
First, neither Roberts nor I made no claim that the Egyptians did not EMPLOY complex mathematics, masonry, surveying, etc. But the facts of history are that they did not propogate lasting cultural instutions beyond their controlled territory of the Nile. Had they not been so geographically isolated, it is unlikely they would have lasted for the 1000s of years they did. Proof? When they encountered civs that had the technology and means infiltrate their lands (Hyksos, Greeks, Romans), they crumpled easily. They had some very brief spurts of expansion, ...
So far we have no argument.

Quote:
... but these always ended in failure and failed to spread their culture. Egyptian culture took root nowhere else but Egypt.
Here we do. Tell this to the Nubians, the Phoenicians, the Jews, the Arabs.

Quote:
As Roberts points out quite correctly, Egypt was surpassed by CONTEMPORARY civs, not later ones. Sumeria, Babylon and Judea all possessed far more complex and influential cultural achievements, whether it be in literature, art, mathematics, architecture, religion or philosophy.
Comtemporary doesn't say much since the Egyptians were around for a long, long time. But I made no claim that the Egyptians were in any way superior in these
fields. I said they contributed - and to a different list of fields than you are mentioning here. So again, no argument.

Quote:
Your claim the Egyptians invented irrigation is 100% false. They weren't the first to use irrigation, the Sumerians were, ...
Really? They only moved into the river region around 3500 BC. At that time the Egyptians (or their ancestors, if you wish) had already been living in Nile territory for quite a while. From 4000 BC the nomadic tribes in the region started to cluster, so it would make sense that around that time they discovered the basics of irrigation, as they had the need.

Quote:
Contrary to what another poster said ...
I'm not responsible for what another poster said, so I'll skip this part.

Quote:
As for the Iroquois, I think someone almost hit the nail on the head when they wondered if you were just trying to assert a position that is historically unsupportable.
Nope. Hopefully you were now able to find the links I gave.

Quote:
Certainly, the Iroquois culture was unique and, when not confronted with significant outside forces, strong within its own realm.
You missed the parts where they chased off other, much larger tribes, in order to add to their hunting grounds. They didn't do so badly in the Beaver wars and in the Canadian war, too. In both cases diplomacy played an important role.

Quote:
But just like with the Egyptians, the onset of much stronger cultures revealed their own culture's inherent weaknesses and allowed them to crumple before European civilization.
They never did. It was the Americans who beat them in the end, and by sheer numbers, not because they had a superior culture.

Quote:
I say "weakness" not as a judgement call on the quality of their culture, merely on its influence and adaptability.
They were adaptable enough to quickly see the trade opportunities and to adopt guns. It was exactly this adaptability that started their Golden Age, during which they influenced all their neighbours.

Quote:
One of the fundamental weaknesses of Egyptian civilization was its incredible resistance to change.
They still lasted a very long time, and aren't really that backward even today.

Quote:
Any assertion the Iroquois have had any more than a miniscule impact on world history is baseless ...
Why? Show me where my sources go wrong or you will indeed seem like the
defender of the status quo, if that's what you call it.

Quote:
European culture has proven to be, to this point, history's most invasive and overpowering force.
True. But they were not alone.

Quote:
The Iroquois will not be high on that list, I guarantee you, for the vast majority of historians.
The list is really not that long, there is plenty of room for them in the top 16.

Well, I think that covered it. Yours would have been a good post had you dropped the attitude.
Old October 4, 2001, 17:10   #77
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Guynemer

This is not true, I'm afraid. We know very much how they accomplished this task. They used monumental forces of labor, having nearly 50,000 slaves and other laborers employed for 20 years during the off-season of agriculture to build the Pyramids. The feat was one of mustering manpower, not miraculous engineering. The engineering involved was fairly simple, and the precision was based on very simple math and geometry. The astounding nature of the Pyramids is their scope and just how much resources went into them, both material and human. But when you are an isolated country with few external threats, mustering such manpower isn't all that much a problem...but still impressive. But not a technological feat.

There excellence in those fields you mentioned is debatable for two reasons. First, they did not enhance those fields one bit. Their astronomy was actually quite poor relative to other contemporary civilizations. Their architecture, mathematics and surveying techniques were not employed by any other cultures and never spread beyond the Nile. They excelled and them when it came to their huge public works, but failed to build on the knowledge of those fields. And, as said before, their methods in all of them were inferior to other contemporary civilizations. Babylonian mathematics put the Egyptians' math to shame.

Excelling at something is not the same as contributing to it and expounding on it in a way that makes an impact on the world.

It is not the fact that they were conquered, it was the fact that their weaknesses of culture A) prevented any meaningful internal change within the Kingdom for 1000s of years, B) prevented them from spreading their culture outside their borders, C) allowed other cultures (Greek particularly) to come in and swallow their own. The Egypt of 300 A.D. was vastly different from the Egypt of 600 B.C., but entirely do to external influences and conquests. Meanwhile, the Egypts of 4000 BC and 1000 BC were not at all different. This is indicative of a stagnant culture.

Your comment about being insular is the opposite of what I said, actually. It is not them being insular that lead to their cultural weakness, it was their cultural weakness that lead to their insularity and stagnation.

Quote:
Please understand that I agree with most of your basic points
Understood. But I have to disagree with what you say. I certainly would keep the Egyptians in the game. In terms of the ancient cultures, they are just so widely known and revered. I just think there are a lot of misconceptions about how important Egyptian civilization was.

Cheers.
Old October 4, 2001, 17:16   #78
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by orange

Yeah, and to add...

Eratosthenes of Egypt theorized that the Earth was round, and tried to calculate the circumference based on limited data (the angle of the sun over two different cities in Egypt)

This was in 200 B.C.
BUT, in 200 B.C. Egypt had been conquered by the Greeks, thoroughly permeated by Greek culture, and Eratosthenes was an Egyptian of Greek descent. His calculations employed Greek mathematics, which was derived from Babylonian and Mesopotamian systems. Not the Egyptians.

Cheers.
Old October 4, 2001, 17:17   #79
Fiera
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by orange
Yeah, and to add...

This was in 200 B.C.
Orange, Eratosthenes was Greek. He doesn't count as a Egypt scientist though he was born in Egyptian ground (in Alexandria, IIRC, a Greek foundation).
Old October 4, 2001, 17:19   #80
Fiera
Emperor

Quote:
Who knows, in the end she may pretend that we are all part of a Roman Catholic conspiracy!
Old October 4, 2001, 17:34   #81
Ribannah
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
BUT, in 200 B.C. Egypt had been conquered by the Greeks, thoroughly permeated by Greek culture, and Eratosthenes was an Egyptian of Greek descent. His calculations employed Greek mathematics, which was derived from Babylonian and Mesopotamian systems. Not the Egyptians.
On the flipside, Egyptian unit fractions were used in Hellenistic and even Roman administrative offices for many centuries. Math is not only used for Astronomy and Engineering, you know.
Old October 4, 2001, 17:39   #82
Fiil
Warlord

Quote:

By the lack of answer I assume the answer is "none". You know what, it shows.
What's the meaning of this?

IMHO modern science is all about specialization. You or anyone else cannot know everything. Ribannah seems to know something about the Iroqouis. You may know a great deal on many historical topics, but this doesn't mean you know it all.
I guess you have somekind of historical degree but what historical periods did you specialize in? And what was the title of your exam project? It is very likely that you know a lot about these things, but less about everything else.

Also don't underestimate the knowledge of amateurs. Lots of great history books are published by people who have no degree in history. Sure, if you do have a degree you are more likely to know something, but this does not mean that others know nothing, especially not if they have focused on something specific.

A common saying is: "If you think you know it all - you know nothing."
Also if someone said something wrong or just a bit uncorrect, this doesn't mean that all they will ever say is wrong! There is never a good reason to gloat!

Please note Martinus that this message is not aimed at you only but everyone of you who believes they are the oracle of this site!
Old October 4, 2001, 17:42   #83
Jay Bee
staff

Quote:

while the vultures circling this debate merely screech.

Miss, your hipocrisy is limitless, uh? What's that, the latest version of your favorite punchline? Sorry, still no cigar. Very poor analogy indeed. Yo may have not noticed yet, but all these "vultures" circling around this thread were attracted by the insidious naturel of your posts. In other words, this is all your creation, Miss. Have the courage to acknowledge at least once that you were wrong in something!

I'm done with this. Lemme however add one last thing: web page links mean nothing if they come from unverified sources. It's amazing that you can ignore such an obvious fact. Put it blatantly clear, who assures me that the authors of the pages you are so eager to quote have the necessary training to know what they're talking about? Who assures me that you yourself have not authored some of these pages?
Old October 4, 2001, 17:46   #84
Jay Bee
staff

Quote:

Please note Martinus that this message is not aimed at you only but everyone of you who believes they are the oracle of this site!
You're getting your facts wrong. It's precisely Miss Rib the one who believes to be the "oracle of this site". Look around, please
Old October 4, 2001, 17:54   #85
Ribannah
Queen

Quote:
IMHO modern science is all about specialization. You or anyone else cannot know everything.
We have a saying over here: "A specialist is someone who knows everything about nothing."
Old October 4, 2001, 17:55   #86
Ironwood
Prince

I have something to say about this idea that the Iroqois constitution had a large influence on the American constitution and its copycats. I believe this is based upon the incorrect assumption that human government is purely an invention of the mind. I believe this is incorrect. In a large part, our governments are the product of our nature, a reflection of a means of dealing with the realities of being a social animal, that repeats itself endlessly throughout history.

Reality exists independently of the observer. It is the task of man to percieve it, not invent it.

What I percieve is that all forms of human government rest upon exactly one cycle of principles, the swing between "democracy" and "monarchy."

This can be seen in just about every tribal entity in existance or that ever existed. If you look at primative peoples all the way from the tribes of north america to the traditional patterns of the early romans, greeks, celts, slavs, etc. you see a clear pattern.

The prototypical tribal government consists of the following:

1. The Chief. This man, at the very least, has the loyalty of the young warriors in a time of war. The Iroqois weren't the only ones to have this. The old roman six month Dictator is comparable, as were the germanic warleaders to whom the warriors owed fealty. In a time of crisis, this man is obayed without question. In a time of peace, he is largely a figurehead.

2. Council of Elders. Basically a bunch of old men (sometimes women) who have old friends, are respected for their experience, and hold sway because people listen when they speak. The chief is expected to heed their advice.

3. The assembled tribe. Basically, the authority of the rest rests upon their complicity. If they are pissed at the rulers, all bets are off.

The American Constitution is similar to this system not, I believe, because we were somehow influenced by a neighboring tribe that employed this model, but rather because the founders sought to create a government that matched the reality of human relations as closely as they could. They were largely successful, though there are still problems that are testament to the limitations of human reason. Still, they did a bang up job.

When the cycles of peace a trouble become long, individual persons can forget the cycle and devote their lives to the ideals of the governments of peace and trouble. Monarchists justify one man rule through the troubles of the world that the rule of the many cannot handle. "Democratists" hold that monarchs more often rule for their own aggrandizement than for the benefit of the people.

At any rate, though the cycles of peace and war may be longer, and thus individuals cease to percieve it in their immediate surroundings, nonetheless, in times of peace, an influential group of men make many decisions, and the people as a whole largely do as they will, and don't take the man, whether he be king, supreme commander, lord, or chief, very seriously. In times of trouble, the big cheese does well to consult the influential men, but for the most part, he has the loyalty of all who care about the survival of the city, state, nation, tribe, whatever.

So whether Western society learned their forms of government from earlier european societies, or from observing the american tribes (the plains indians had a similar form to the Iroqois, if I remember my middle school education well enough... which I suspect is the limit of Ribbannah's education ), they both got it from the same source of knowledge: reality.
Take me as I am.
Old October 4, 2001, 18:21   #87
Fiil
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Bee
You're getting your facts wrong. It's precisely Miss Rib the one who believes to be the "oracle of this site". Look around, please
You can always claim that I get your fact wrong, but not my own!

When I write everyone, I mean everyone. Of course this applies for Rib too!! It even sometimes applies to me!

Please ask before you shoot! I'm trying to be reasonable and I'm sure we agree on most things in the long run, so don't jump to conclusions.

In short: I meant everyone!
Old October 4, 2001, 18:23   #88
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:51
I misread the post that I was quoting. I thought the post was supporting Greek thought being superior to Egyptian at the time. When I said "of Egypt" I didn't mean "an Egyptian" I meant he was in Egypt when he discovered it.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old October 4, 2001, 18:28   #89
Martinus
Prince

Quote:

What's the meaning of this?

IMHO modern science is all about specialization. You or anyone else cannot know everything. Ribannah seems to know something about the Iroqouis. You may know a great deal on many historical topics, but this doesn't mean you know it all.
I guess you have somekind of historical degree but what historical periods did you specialize in? And what was the title of your exam project? It is very likely that you know a lot about these things, but less about everything else.

Also don't underestimate the knowledge of amateurs. Lots of great history books are published by people who have no degree in history. Sure, if you do have a degree you are more likely to know something, but this does not mean that others know nothing, especially not if they have focused on something specific.

A common saying is: "If you think you know it all - you know nothing."
Also if someone said something wrong or just a bit uncorrect, this doesn't mean that all they will ever say is wrong! There is never a good reason to gloat!

I do not discount amateurs. But every one - be it amateur or proffesional has to conform to certain standards when making claims and theories. Among them are accountability and validity of your sources.

But it is Ribannah, not me who makes claims without any validated proof. I use the word "validated", because as far as weblinks are concerned, I could just "proove" to you that European Union is just a templar conspiracy and the pyramids were built by aliens - this, and more you can find on the web.

And you speak wisely about specialisation. Yet by specialising we cannot loose the broader picture. So do not attack me, as I simply started by refuting Ribannah's claims - the claims which anyone would simply find ridicuolous, and which basically rebuke all European achievements (she actually said Europe had no diplomacy or rhetorics in the middle ages). I asked about her training, because I have never seen anything like this.

And I am sorry, but if you find Ribannah's theses about European culture to be "a bit incorrect" than I have no comments really.
Old October 4, 2001, 18:29   #90
Jay Bee
staff

Fiil,

Okay, then don't get my facts wrong this time I wasn't attacking you in any way. If you felt attacked by my post then I apologize. I know how difficult is to properly interpret the emotions behind a written text.

I think that, glaring exceptions aside, everyone here tries to be reasonable.