Old September 27, 2001, 12:07   #1
Mads Raven
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Cities under water?
Does anybody knows if you may build cities under the water in Civ 3? Actually I think, that if the game stops in the year of 2000, then I do not hope that this option will be in the game; because do we have under-water-cities today? No!

"Beware of the English Empire; the English people are going to rule the world again in "CIVILIZATION III""

Last edited by Mads Raven; September 27, 2001 at 12:14.
Old September 27, 2001, 12:15   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 08:52
no CONFIRMATION, but you could NEVER build underwater cities in a Sidilazation game, and i never saw any in a screenshot.
Old September 27, 2001, 12:16   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

and it could definately fubar ocean borders.

imagine surrounding an enemy island with cities
Old September 27, 2001, 12:44   #4
donarumo
Warlord

I think CTP ruined ocean and space cities for a lot of us but I think they still can be implemented well.

Look at AC, ocean based cities seemed to work fine there. I know we can't just transplant those here but I'm just saying that it could work.

-- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)
Old September 27, 2001, 12:49   #5
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 09:52
Ocean cities wouldn't be that bad, but I'd rather leave them to CtP. Civ3 (and probably 4) won't be going far enough into the future to make it realistic.
Old September 27, 2001, 13:35   #6
Mister Pleasant

Quote:
Look at AC, ocean based cities seemed to work fine there. I know we can't just transplant those here but I'm just saying that it could work.
Yeah, look at SMAC. The @#$%ing AI ICSed worthless pop2 cities all over the ocean. This was annoying, and I eventually commited countless atrocities burning them all down. I just don't trust firaxis to implement sea cities properly (and I'm none to fond of the job activision did either).

Quote:
Does anybody knows if you may build cities under the water in Civ 3? Actually I think, that if the game stops in the year of 2000, then I do not hope that this option will be in the game; because do we have under-water-cities today? No!
But no doubt, in some alternate history, sea cities were developed in, say, the 1980s. Let's say England in a history without WWI and WWII built them. SInce civ is about rewriting history, not replaying it, sea cities would be kosher.

Old September 27, 2001, 14:11   #7
Dida
Prince

I hate underwater or space cities. They are just stupid. Imagine refueling the jet fighter you build in 1967 under water. What the heck is that?

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old September 27, 2001, 14:43   #8
Ralf
King

Local Time: 14:52
Re: Cities under water?
Quote:
Originally posted by Mads Raven
The game stops in 2020 AD. No underwater-cities, of course. Although I do hope that it is possible to make advanced, totally revamped futuristic SciFi-scenarios, that perhaps allow you to build such ocean-based cities.
Old September 27, 2001, 14:50   #9
PGM
Prince

Re: Cities under water?
Quote:
Originally posted by Mads Raven
Does anybody knows if you may build cities under the water in Civ 3?
No way. Maybe in civ4 or 5.
Old September 27, 2001, 18:20   #10
Bkeela
King

Local Time: 23:52
I agree with Mister Pleasant: it was entirely frustrating having the AI place dozens of ocean cities around your land. Not only was it an eye sore, but it posed a dramatic strategic disadvantage when flight eventually grew to dominate the game. The only option was to go out and destroy them all, and then came the truly frustrating part - getting rid of them. It was a slow, tedious and expensive process starving them and producing a colony unit. The other alternative was to cause an atrocity, which was not my playing style. I suppose you could keep the cities, but it is against my aesthetic sensibility to maintain an AI positioned city.

Please, no ocean cities.

Bkeela.
Old September 27, 2001, 19:01   #11
Chronus
Prince

Okay, I know this doesn't quite fit the "Underwater cities" context of this thread but here it goes . . .

Is there global warming such that the oceans rise and destroy coastal cities? This is one of the few features I did like in CTP since it made pollution control much more important.

. . . oh, nevermind. Maybe I should just start a new thread
Old September 27, 2001, 20:20   #12
Madine
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 07:52
Uh, pretty sure there was global warming in civ 2 as well.

It sounds like some people are mad that the AI did something smart

Although underwater cities don't really fit into the scope of Civ 3, I hope that a future civ game will allow things such as underwater cities and allow the chance to go into the future a bit.
Old September 27, 2001, 22:04   #13
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Pleasant
Yeah, look at SMAC. The @#$%ing AI ICSed worthless pop2 cities all over the ocean. This was annoying, and I eventually commited countless atrocities burning them all down. I just don't trust firaxis to implement sea cities properly (and I'm none to fond of the job activision did either).
Why bother? Just take them over.

The computer players only do this to hog resource squares. So to counter it you hog them yourself, first.
Old September 28, 2001, 00:48   #14
Deathwalker
Prince

The idead of build cities at sea is a crap one I played SMAC quite a lot and to be honest I never build cities at sea if a nice feature but I think it does not add anything to the game as a whole. So I hope that they don't have it in the game/
Old September 28, 2001, 00:51   #15
Rakki
Warlord

i wonder if we can build oil rigs on sea resource squares Give naval vessels something to protect and pillage
Old September 28, 2001, 01:29   #16
Mister Pleasant

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Why bother? Just take them over.

The computer players only do this to hog resource squares. So to counter it you hog them yourself, first.
Actually, what I did was to modify the alpha.txt file so that sea cities could not be built. I found the game very enjoyable after I did that.

Old September 28, 2001, 01:40   #17
Kestrel
Warlord

We had underwater cities in Civ II !

( Well, Civ II - ToT anyway)
Old September 28, 2001, 03:37   #18
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 15:52
I certainly don't hope so, underwater cities was boring, just like the space cities
Old September 28, 2001, 07:59   #19
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Underwater cities won't ever happen in real life, so I don't want to see it in a Civ game.
Old September 28, 2001, 08:05   #20
Rakki
Warlord

never say never...
Old September 28, 2001, 11:25   #21
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

It will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever happen!!

Maybe a colony of a thousand people, but anything larger would be too expensive and require so much technology, it just won't ever happen. I'm not saying it isn't possible. It's possible, it just won't happen.
Old September 28, 2001, 11:35   #22
tishco
Prince

you can on civ 2 using waterworld mod
on civfanatics site there was a very very kickass mod underwater called waterworld. your settlers were ships and had a build land (mountain option so they had to build in the sea and join with land bridges, its only flaw was the land mass was empty apart from AI cities and it didnt undersand what to do so never filled the ocean.
it may be at apolton
Old September 28, 2001, 13:42   #23
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 14:52
Underwater cities were so annoying in SMAC that I somehow managed to 'turn them off' by fiddling with the textfiles.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old September 28, 2001, 15:50   #24
Mars
Prince

How can you guys hate space and sea cities. i found them to be rather enjoyable. They added interesting new strategies to the game. And sea cities will happen, just look at oil platforms they're practically cities at sea already and that's with current tech. i say in a good 30 to 50 years there will be sea cities, and there definitly will be space cities. in fact i am hoping that they add another planet to colonize by your planet, although i know it won't be in civ3
Old September 28, 2001, 15:58   #25
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 09:52
Re: Re: Cities under water?
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf

The game stops in 2020 AD.
The game stops recording a score in 2050. You can play forever if you want to.

Quote:
Taken from "Ask the Civ Team" 9/28
Yes, you can continue to play after the game has "ended", though no score data is recorded after 2050.
Old September 28, 2001, 16:16   #26
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 15:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Mars
How can you guys hate space and sea cities.
Easy to hate them, they were to unrealistic (come on, 6 million people living in an underwater sea or in a spacecity. If they should make them avaliable then they should be more expensive than land cities and the numbers of Max inhapitants should be much lower.

Also a reason why I hate them is (Never played SMAC only ctp1/2) is: The AI was soooooo dumb, which means I always where the only nation in space or undersea

But anyway, space/underwater cities is just not something that should be added, just the concept is way out
Old September 28, 2001, 19:11   #27
Mads Raven
Chieftain

I am glad to see that most of the people that has been answering my original thread share the same opinion as me.
No, let us not hope that there will be any kinds of underwater cities in Civ 3.

Last edited by Mads Raven; September 28, 2001 at 19:17.