Old August 10, 1999, 13:04   #1
CDC80UF
Settler

Local Time: 00:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Introduction, Normandy, and Unit Styles
Hello to all! My name is Christian and I'm a History Grad Student at the Univ of Florida. I new on the Scenerio League but I'm not a junior civer in any respect. I've been playing Civ since it came out and I'm still hooked. I'm currently working on a D-Day Scenerio and I was wondering if anyone has a good map? I also wanted to comment on the Panzer General and East Front units everyone uses in there scenerios. Am I the only one who doesn't like them in Civ Scenerios? They just don't look right with the terrain. IMO Alex's units look the best that I've seen!
Old August 10, 1999, 13:47   #2
NickC
Prince

Hello Christian!

I can make a pretty good map for you. Did I say pretty? I meant really good one. I have created a Europe map for my upcoming Napoleon, WW2, and WW1 Scenarios, and it is accurate, etc. I figure that if I can make that well of a map, I can make one for you. Just ask, and I will find the time in the next week, I hope.

Also, what is cool, is that I have Napoleon, WW2, and WW1 units made up already. They are not to give away though, and no one can see them just yet.

I'm glad to see a new member of the scenario club. Many of our members are leaving because of Test of Time. My Napoleon, WW2, and WW1 scenarios will be released by December, I hope, but my Napoleon scenario will be out by September, I hope.

------------------
Nick Clark (Greek.)
[This message has been edited by NickC (edited August 10, 1999).]
Old August 11, 1999, 22:28   #3
mindseye
King

Local Time: 08:00
Hi CDC80UF!

You have identified a fundamental issue in Civ2 graphic design - one that is sadly ignored by many. The reason the units you mention don't look right with their terrain has to do with the basic approach the designer took.

The reason Alex's work looks so great with the original terrain is that he "paints" each unit from scratch. This is the same approach the original designers took, so his excellent units fit in very well. He also takes pains to keep his units at the same scale as much as possible.

The other approach is the "photo-realistic" route. These designers (including myself) start with real-world images and scale them down. The result is that your eye is fooled into seeing more detail. The downside is that these untis are usually larger and don't mix well with the original graphics. Also, some us us don't really sweat the unit scale so much, we treat the units more like icons.

If you want to use "photo-realistic" units with a suitable terrain, take a look at my "patch" in the Downloads section. It's called "HiRes", and includes terrain, units, icons, and more. If you want to go with the "hand painted" look, there are quite a number of excellent terrain and unit files out there you can draw from to maintain a consistant look.

The worst thing you can do is to mix the two styles, which produces the jarring effect you described.

Best of luck with your work!

- Tim Smith
Designer of HiRes ModPack (currently working on upgrade)

Old August 12, 1999, 02:45   #4
CDC80UF
Settler

Tim can you send me the HiRes Mod at CDC80UF@aol.com
Thanks
Christian
Old August 12, 1999, 14:30   #5
CDC80UF
Settler