Old September 27, 2001, 22:08   #1
Ned
King

Local Time: 05:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Late Game Costs?
I don't know when I first noticed this, but in a game I just completed I noticed that my "costs" very late in the game (transcendant thourght) were around 8000 e/c more than the F3 screen said they were. For example, F3 reported 10,000 income, costs of 2000 and a net income of 8,000 e/c. However! Turn to turn my net assets did not increase indicating hidden costs of 8,000.

At first I thought there might have been some hidden inefficiency - I was running 100% income. However, when I reset the S/E to 40/30/40, showing a net income of 5,000, I actually lost 3,000 from my net assets turn to turn.

I actually had to keep my income at 10,000 just to avoid going broke.

Has anyone seen this before?

Ned
Old September 28, 2001, 07:47   #2
Ned
King

Having seen no replies, I assume than no one has seen this problem.

I should note that I am not using the SMACx that is the v. 2.0 upgrade, but the version I downloaded that enables one to start the game without the CD. I note that with this game, I also do not get beauracracy warnings. There may be other subtle differences as well that I just haven't noticed before. What I do notice though is that the game crashes quite a bit now.

Does anyone know anything about this CD-less version? It really makes starting the game a pleasure, so I would prefer to keep it if this game is not the source of the bugs.

Ned
Old September 28, 2001, 12:29   #3
Avenoct
Prince

Local Time: 08:52
I've noticed things going haywire in the very late game as well, but I just ignored it. I have some suspicion that the Transcendent thought loop is to blame as I can break this loop (ie change techs around so that only 1 Transcendent thought is allowed, then nothing) and I see even further problems. In taking the screenshots I took from Kassiopeia's Aldebaran game Satellites I noticed that the super-AI faction had finished it's research but was still pouring labs into research and I think, getting out energy.

-Smack
Old September 28, 2001, 13:07   #4
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 06:52
Ned:

I don't think it can be the noCD crack. I use that too, in both my laptop and my desktop, and still get beaurocracy warnings, etc.

re my desktop, I used to suffer horribly from crashes and absolute freezes while in smac/x (ie no mouse movement, no ctl/alt/del effect - just had to hit the 'reset' button. Haven't had one since I installed the crack

re the problem itself - it used to occur in the first SMAC release, but was corrected in a patch (Here I quote from the "readme' file:

The energy readout in the info window isn't double it's actual value in some instances)

It sounds like that's what's happening to you, so you may have a different version of the no-CD hack

G.
Old September 30, 2001, 04:25   #5
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 09:52
There are strange things that happen in the SMAX endgame. Too many to account for, really.

Old September 30, 2001, 04:58   #6
Ned
King

I think I have seen this before, but now I will look for it. Funny, I was just thinking: Did this phenomenon affect only me, or was the AI similarly affected.

Ned