Old September 28, 2001, 23:08   #31
Madine
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 07:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I would think you can rebuild your forbidden palace. Maybe you'll have to sell it first though or something...
Old September 29, 2001, 00:25   #32
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 08:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
But hey Uber! If you don't want to use a feature, don't.
and i'll make sure NO ONE ELSE BUILDS THEM. HAHAHAHAHHAHA
Old September 29, 2001, 01:50   #33
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I like the idea of a second palace. As a matter of fact, id have a palace in every city if i could!

What?? At least there'd be no corruption And i could travel my country in style
Old September 29, 2001, 08:52   #34
Stuie
King

Local Time: 09:53
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX

and i'll make sure NO ONE ELSE BUILDS THEM. HAHAHAHAHHAHA
I don't doubt it!
Old September 29, 2001, 10:17   #35
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:53
Does it have any adverse effects to move the palace to another city?
Old September 29, 2001, 10:28   #36
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 13:53
It costs money or shields and you lose the palace function in the old city?
Old September 29, 2001, 10:54   #37
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Snapcase
It costs money or shields and you lose the palace function in the old city?
Doh. I was somewhat confused.

What I was trying to say is, if a palace isn't all that expensive to move, then the Fobidden Palace can't cost all that much...

I was hoping for a Great Wonder too, something like 1/3 distance for purposes of calculating corruption.
Old September 29, 2001, 12:10   #38
Sun Zi 36
Warlord

Local Time: 23:53
What I don't like about the Forbidden Palace is: first, the name "Forbidden City" has always been used exclusively to address the great palaces in Beijing, which makes Forbidden Palace confusing and also makes me wonder why it's not a unique wonder. Second, having six cities is enough to build the F P is just a bit too little. The weakest civ could easily have more than 6 cities and I find it an annoying idea for weak nations to be able to build the Forbidden Palace as the Forbidden City was the greatest group of palaces ever built in the world.
Old September 29, 2001, 14:21   #39
Sandman
King

Local Time: 14:53
Yup. It should be called 'the Winter Palace' or 'the Summer Palace'. There have been plenty of them.

Or even just 'the Second Palace'.
Old September 29, 2001, 19:36   #40
Ozymandous
Prince

Well...

If you want to make a case for "Forbidden Palace" as a minor wonder sounding too much like the Chinese "Forbidden City" then how about the Apollo Program or Pentagon? All of these (from what I understand) will be minor wonders based on the accomplishments or buildings from different cultures yet will be available to all.

Give it a rest, it's not that big a deal.
Old September 29, 2001, 19:47   #41
Rakki
Warlord

well I want mine to be a Hexagon. Is that too much to ask ?
Old September 30, 2001, 18:32   #42
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sun Zi 36
What I don't like about the Forbidden Palace is: first, the name "Forbidden City" has always been used exclusively to address the great palaces in Beijing, which makes Forbidden Palace confusing and also makes me wonder why it's not a unique wonder. Second, having six cities is enough to build the F P is just a bit too little. The weakest civ could easily have more than 6 cities and I find it an annoying idea for weak nations to be able to build the Forbidden Palace as the Forbidden City was the greatest group of palaces ever built in the world.
While having six cities is a required condition, doesn't mean it is also the right moment to build it.

You probably need the help of the second palace just when your empire is quite large and distribute over more than one continent (for the sake of discussion I assume Civ III having similar inefficience/corruption rules as SMAC about number of cities and distance from the capital).

About the name, I like it. It sounds exotic and great (and used for cities not only in China, but in Africa, Middle East and South American empire IIRC.

Of course you can probably rename it Camp David if you like it
Old September 30, 2001, 18:36   #43
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Doh. I was somewhat confused.

What I was trying to say is, if a palace isn't all that expensive to move, then the Fobidden Palace can't cost all that much...
AFAIK the problem now is about the loss of culture if you relocate your usual palace. You know, any building that add culture point supply them as long as it exist, with some multiplier during the years passed since its founding.

Yes, Forbidden Palace sounds good to me as a minor Wonder
Old September 30, 2001, 20:29   #44
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Sounds very cool to have two centres of administration from which you can decrease construction A successful thread by moi

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 1, 2001, 02:23   #45
Sun Zi 36
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandous
If you want to make a case for "Forbidden Palace" as a minor wonder sounding too much like the Chinese "Forbidden City" then how about the Apollo Program or Pentagon? All of these (from what I understand) will be minor wonders based on the accomplishments or buildings from different cultures yet will be available to all.
Well, any civ can build a pentagon shaped building, there's no problem about that. My main concern is just that it seems too easy to build the "Forbidden Palace" (which immediately gives rise to the idea of the "Forbidden City" in your head). I would disagree on the Apollo program too if it is very easily achieved.

Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
While having six cities is a required condition, doesn't mean it is also the right moment to build it.

You probably need the help of the second palace just when your empire is quite large and distribute over more than one continent (for the sake of discussion I assume Civ III having similar inefficience/corruption rules as SMAC about number of cities and distance from the capital).
Yea i know it's just a required condition doesn't mean it would be the right time to build it. But to me, 6 cities should NOT BE ENOUGH TO EVEN BE ABLE TO BUILD the forbidden palace/city watever it is.

(BTW, it seems a good idea to make the Forbidden City a unique wonder and art of war a minor. That way the Chinse don't have to be militaristic anymore.)
Old October 1, 2001, 05:37   #46
Seaman
Settler

Hmm. Not that it matters much, but can't the normal Palace be considered and listed as a Minor Wonder with Prerequisits: None? It can only be built once by each civ, so it matches the specification of a minor W. It's actually the first minor wonder you (and everyone else) builds, even though it's automatic.
Old October 1, 2001, 06:41   #47
gremalkin
Chieftain

Excellent!! Brilliant idea!! Keep 'em coming firaxis!!

Wonder what effect it has on culture? May be best to build it as early as possible..

Though that might mean it doesn't reduce corruption effectively as your empire expands in unexpected directions!!

I can't wait for Civ3!!!
Old October 1, 2001, 06:55   #48
axi
Prince

Local Time: 16:53
Will the stupid French AI build its FP in a city right next to it's actual capital? (Paris-Versailles)

Dual capitals are quite common:

Beijing - Nanking
Moscow - St. Petersburg
Rome - Constantinople
Cairo - Alexandria
Persepolis - Susa (or is it Ekvatana?)
Old October 1, 2001, 09:20   #49
Ozymandous
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sun Zi 36

Well, any civ can build a pentagon shaped building, there's no problem about that. My main concern is just that it seems too easy to build the "Forbidden Palace" (which immediately gives rise to the idea of the "Forbidden City" in your head). I would disagree on the Apollo program too if it is very easily achieved.
And any Civ could potentially build a group of palaces together as well. Matter of note is that many cultures built palaces and castles all over the place, just not many cultures built them all in one central location (I guess people liked to see more than one area).

Any technologically developed culture with the resources and will to build something generally can, just because a certain group of real life cultures built certain things doesn't mean they should be restricted in the game, IMHO.
Old October 1, 2001, 16:17   #50
Mars
Prince

good point Ozymandous, it's no harder to build and second palace as it is to build a pentagon or the apollo program.
Old October 1, 2001, 17:40   #51
RedWhiteArcher
Chieftain

I'm afraid that real world to Civ3 comparison doesn't go well.
For example:
If I play Russia and want to build the forbiden palace I wouldn't build it in Siberia maximize the effects on the cities. But in the real world the 2nd capital is St. Petersburg. Why would I build the forbiden palace in St. Petersburg?
Old October 2, 2001, 07:28   #52
Sun Zi 36
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandous
And any Civ could potentially build a group of palaces together as well. Matter of note is that many cultures built palaces and castles all over the place, just not many cultures built them all in one central location (I guess people liked to see more than one area).

Any technologically developed culture with the resources and will to build something generally can, just because a certain group of real life cultures built certain things doesn't mean they should be restricted in the game, IMHO.
Ah... no. any civ could NOT potentially build a group of palaces as large as the Forbidden City.

U have supported my point in your second paragraph: i dont think a 6 city civ can possibly have the resources to build a thing like the Forbidden City (maybe they should just rename it, it is just too much an ambiguous name).

Yes, i support the fact that just bcos a certain culture built something in real life doesn't mean it should be restricted in the game, BUT if they meant the thing to be something as great as F P or Apollo program, they better make it at least pretty much as difficult to build as in real life.
Old October 2, 2001, 09:19   #53
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by RedWhiteArcher
I'm afraid that real world to Civ3 comparison doesn't go well.
For example:
If I play Russia and want to build the forbiden palace I wouldn't build it in Siberia maximize the effects on the cities. But in the real world the 2nd capital is St. Petersburg. Why would I build the forbiden palace in St. Petersburg?
The reason to build a second (Forbidden) palace (not a Forbidden City) are somewhat different from real world and the game.

We must forget the opportunity of any move of Capital City in real life: in Italy we moved our capital city while we annexed all the territory that finally end as Italy. The minor shift can be accepted in real world. The game rules (probably) will require a different placement strategy.

BTW, I almost never moved my Palace. I love to keep my capital the same for all the game long.
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old October 2, 2001, 10:56   #54
Roman
King

I think the FP is a great idea.