Old September 28, 2001, 07:47   #1
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
OCC - Can it be done??
OCC - One City Challenge. In Civ 2, the idea was to launch a spaceship as early as possible, with your capital as your only city during the entire game. At first thought impossible, but soon proven wrong.

Enter Civ 3, with many changes to gameplay, potentially affecting this challenge.

First, some beneficial changes:
2 different victory goals to choose from
- Spaceship (classic OCC style) or
- Cultural Victory (when your city has produced 100,000 culture points)
settlers cost 2 population points: OCC laughs at that

And, some changes that could prevent OCC:
Resources now figure heavily in unit production, and rumoured to be needed for building wonders. Further, each colony costs 1 pop point, and needs a direct road connection to your city.
To build small wonders, certain gameplay conditions need to be met. For some, that condition is to have 5 banks, or 5 SAM missile batterys, which cant be done when you only have one city!
Caravans, a central component of the OCC strategy, have been removed.

So, can OCC be done in Civ 3??
Old September 28, 2001, 08:01   #2
Rakki
Warlord

Local Time: 23:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I think there's possibly some kind of limit on the amount of culture that a single city can ever generate... on page 3 of the civ3 gallery, at the bottom left there's picture of a city screen - top right of the screen there's a 10,000 max status bar for culture so I'm assuming that each city can only accumulate up to 10,000 points of culture.

The spaceship wonder I wouldn't know
Old September 28, 2001, 11:20   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

True, but from the Civ 3 site:

Quote:
A cultural victory can occur if one of your cities amasses 20,000 culture points, or if your entire empire amasses at least 80,000 culture points and no rival civ has more than half of your cultural value. (These values may fluctuate as we test them out, but you get the general idea.)
So im assuming that a cultural victory still *can* be achieved even with only one city.
Old September 28, 2001, 11:22   #4
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:53
Personally, I don't feel the OCC is hard. You just have to defend one city, buckle down, and build a spaceship. Nothing too difficult.
Old September 28, 2001, 14:08   #5
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 07:53
Quote:
Personally, I don't feel the OCC is hard. You just have to defend one city, buckle down, and build a spaceship. Nothing too difficult.
you need to defend? i never had to worry about defense. .

-theonion.com
Old September 28, 2001, 14:29   #6
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Rest assured, somebody will pull it off, be it sooner or later. I imagine there will even be new challenges once we get to know the game better. Woo hoo!

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old September 28, 2001, 15:59   #7
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 09:53
are there any other challenges? i just beat occ deity.... i beat it on cheiftan once without building a single caravan... the great library carried me till i was on par with every one else
Old September 28, 2001, 17:12   #8
Madine
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Warlord

The ocs cultural victory doesn't sound like it would be too tough. Just make your city have lots of cultural stuff.

Also your city will be able to grow more at large sizes.
Old September 28, 2001, 18:08   #9
d_dudy
Prince

at the very least it'll be possible on the easiest levels (culture wise, i think)
Old September 28, 2001, 18:12   #10
Admiral
Prince

I imagine that if you go for the spaceship. one might run in to problems. Resources might be needed to build the project itself, and it will probably be difficult to survive to the point where you can build the spaceship without resources. However, the culture victoy will probably be fairly easy.
"Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok
Old September 28, 2001, 18:14   #11
HawaiiFive-O
Warlord

Local Time: 13:53
OCC is going to be a lot harder, if not impossible:

1) Resources needed to build certain buildings/units, if they aren't near by you'll have to use vulnerable colonies to collect them.

2) Certain Small Wonders only available after x number of buildings exist in your civilization- and x is invariably greater than 1.

Until we actually play the game, we can't know. But it looks like OCC is dead.
Old September 28, 2001, 19:07   #12
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 09:53
does it still count as occ if your civ's culture enroaches on the other civs and makes them convert city to you or do u have to destroy it as soon as you get it

no, i disagree. WIth culture victory, i think occ will be MUCH easier
Old September 28, 2001, 20:16   #13
Skanky Burns

I dont think OCC will be as easy as most people think.
For the spaceship victory, you lack resources that are most probably vital to building the ship. Resource gathering will also be difficult. Even more pressing, there are no caravans!! This means that the city will most probably have to rely on its own production to build parts, or its gold income to buy the parts.

For cultural victory, you need to produce at least double the amount of culture that your most cultured enemy produces to win. Again, resources might be a problem, for military units and for building wonders.
Old September 28, 2001, 22:56   #14
Ozymandous
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Rakki
I think there's possibly some kind of limit on the amount of culture that a single city can ever generate... on page 3 of the civ3 gallery, at the bottom left there's picture of a city screen - top right of the screen there's a 10,000 max status bar for culture so I'm assuming that each city can only accumulate up to 10,000 points of culture.

The spaceship wonder I wouldn't know
The 10,000 number on the bar was the goal to reah for that particular culture level. Once you reach 10,000 the goal for the next level will be the number displayed. That bar probably started with 10, then 100, then 1,000 then 10,000.
Old September 29, 2001, 00:02   #15
Madine
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Warlord

I was under the impression that if one city reached a certain cultural value (last I heard was 100,000) you automatically won. I didn't know that cultural victory pertained to the cultural values of other nations. I think that would make sense, but only in the context of the overall cultural victory.

You can trade for resources, so this would not be an insurmountable obstacle.

You would not be able to culturally take over another city unless they build one practially right next to yours.

Also, because we are talking about supercities :

Does anyone know if the number of tiles you can work will expand, or will it always be the traditional 21, or what?
Old September 29, 2001, 01:23   #16
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 06:53
Quote:
Originally posted by dainbramaged13
are there any other challenges? i just beat occ deity.... i beat it on cheiftan once without building a single caravan... the great library carried me till i was on par with every one else
Great Library on chieftan? how useless is that? on chieftan you can research about twice as fast as the AI. to get any use out of the GL, you have to restrict your research to certain lines, and never trade with the AI!
I used Paul's guide on Chieftan once and got a 621ad landing.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn