Old September 28, 2001, 18:30   #31
Jer8m8
Warlord

Local Time: 08:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Once the game comes out, how long until someone makes a 256*256 world map? A week? 2?
Old September 28, 2001, 18:34   #32
fluxcapacitor
Warlord

Local Time: 05:53
yeah, that's something I REALLY want to try: a 16 Civ game on a 256x256 ACCURATE earth map
Old September 28, 2001, 18:37   #33
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 14:53
What is all this moaning about RAM and mHz? Who cares what kind of a computer you need to play 16 Civs? If my puter isn't up to it, I'll get a new one or upgrade!

16 Civs on a huge accurate world map sounds simply awesome!!!
Old September 28, 2001, 18:43   #34
Mads Raven
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:53
Well, I just asked - thank you for YOUR help...

"Beware of the English Empire; the English people are going to rule the world again in "CIVILIZATION III""
Old September 28, 2001, 18:56   #35
Mads Raven
Chieftain

I canīt wait playing Civ 3 with 16 Civs all together in one game!

"Beware of the English Empire; the English people are going to rule the world again in "CIVILIZATION III""
Old September 28, 2001, 18:59   #36
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Quote:
Originally posted by lockstep

And what about PBEM with 15 other people?

HELL YES !!!!!!

LUNG, Do you hear that my friend . Could you imagine a pbem with 15 us . Will there be enough land for all of our collective egos .

World war are great in Call to power. But with 15 people!? That will be pure nuts...
Old September 28, 2001, 19:38   #37
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

I generally have been adamantly anti-huge map in the past, due to some of the movement rates described in the "Battleship: Around the world in 45 years" thread. But if it is the only way to play 16 civs I will certainly give it another chance.
Old September 28, 2001, 19:47   #38
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 09:53
no, i definetly think thaty youi will be able to play with however many civs you want on whatever size map... those numbers are just defaults or something, and if theyre not editable in the interface, theybve got to be in the editor or rules.txt...
Old September 28, 2001, 20:24   #39
Master Marcus
Prince

16 civs that's great news , but for those having a not so fast system - around the minimal requirements, consider seriously upgrading if you want to play regularly the game ( at a reasonable speed on a huge map ). When I changed my machine last year ( from a PII 233/ 80 meg RAM, for a PIII 1000/ 512 meg RAM ), I saw a surprising difference when playing new SMACx games ( latter turns speed up by x5 ) , formers and units moving way more faster next to a former machine which supposedly had the power ( at least more than the minimal requs ). The speed-up upgrade is worth the cost for civ-like games also, not only 3D.
Old September 28, 2001, 20:34   #40
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

:too choked up to speak, must type:
Old September 28, 2001, 21:07   #41
sekong
Warlord

The next question I have is how many players in a MPG game? I hope we could have a better MPG than CIVII's
Old September 28, 2001, 21:46   #42
Ozymandous
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Marcus
16 civs that's great news , but for those having a not so fast system - around the minimal requirements, consider seriously upgrading if you want to play regularly the game ( at a reasonable speed on a huge map ). When I changed my machine last year ( from a PII 233/ 80 meg RAM, for a PIII 1000/ 512 meg RAM ), I saw a surprising difference when playing new SMACx games ( latter turns speed up by x5 ) , formers and units moving way more faster next to a former machine which supposedly had the power ( at least more than the minimal requs ). The speed-up upgrade is worth the cost for civ-like games also, not only 3D.
Just wanted to add that upgrading isn't that expensive either. I bought a P3 1GHz machine about two months ago for $600. I'd say the manufacturer but not sure if it is allowed.

Oh and for all those who might comment about "why buy when you can build", well my job is to support and fix PC's all day, when i get home I'd rather play and not have to tweak and tinker with my set. That's what the three year on-site, next day fix warrantee is for..
Old September 28, 2001, 23:21   #43
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

The important question still is: Can you have 16 civs on a smaller map?

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old September 28, 2001, 23:46   #44
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Exactly yin, although I surely don't speak for everyone, but I personally would find 16 civs on a normal or maybe large sized map to be ideal. (Movement rates would be too slow for me on Huge maps)
Old September 28, 2001, 23:58   #45
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Is this a joke?!! This HAS to be some kind of prank!!

Is it true?? CAN IT REALLY BE TRUE??!?!

::sheds a lone tear::

::sniff::
Old September 29, 2001, 00:18   #46
El hidalgo
Warlord

Local Time: 07:53
This is terrible news -- we're all going to flunk out of school, get fired, break up with girlfriends, etc.

I have no doubt you will be able to play as many civs as you want on any size map. In fact, I would be willing to bet on it, but I'm not sure if that would be legal.

All of these little tidbits of news that keep dribbling out... There is no doubt in my mind we've only seen the tip of the iceberg... This is going to be the mother of all... well, let's just say I bought stock in Infogrames today, and I recommend you do the same!
Old September 29, 2001, 03:24   #47
Mike Breitkreutz FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
Yes!! 16 civs! I wonder if editors will allow 16 civs on some of the smaller maps?
Quote:
Originally posted by dainbramaged13
no, i definetly think thaty youi will be able to play with however many civs you want on whatever size map... those numbers are just defaults or something, and if theyre not editable in the interface, theybve got to be in the editor or rules.txt...
Yes. Using the editor you can allow 16 civs to be played on smaller map sizes and also change the default sizes of the maps. Of course, the map size must be large enough to be able to place 16 civs somewhere on the map. You can also use the editor to play the larger maps with less civs if you want.
Old September 29, 2001, 03:33   #48
Warm Beer
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Breitkreutz FIRAXIS

Yes. Using the editor you can allow 16 civs to be played on smaller map sizes and also change the default sizes of the maps...
Thus, without the editor you can play 16 civs on the default map size for said # of civs?
- Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Old September 29, 2001, 04:16   #49
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Which means you MUST use the editor to use 16 civs on anything but the largest map...why? Surely it is no big simply to let the gamer decide the number of civs and map size on launch...correct? I'm already hearing the answer:

"We have worked hard to maximize the AI according to the number of civs and map size. While players are free to use the editor to setup anything they like, we don't recommend playing anything other than the default values available on startup."

Strange...

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old September 29, 2001, 04:32   #50
Warm Beer
Warlord

I thought that without the editor, one could only play with 8 civs... that seems to have changed. Operative word in that sentance is 'seems'.

I'm not complaining, tho. Just lookin for facts
- Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Old September 29, 2001, 05:44   #51
knott
Chieftain

i hope the will create blocks of civs fighting each other.
Old September 29, 2001, 06:28   #52
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

If the AI couldnīt cope with 16 civs on a tiny map, I wouldnīt twit Firaxis for creating a 'bad AI'.

Anyway, if I can play with 16 civs at the same time on a huge map (including a decent foreign advisor screen showing the relations between civs) and have to use the editor one time to change the default setting for a normal world to 10 or 12 civs, I wouldnīt call that bad news.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old September 29, 2001, 08:40   #53
Yog-Sothoth
Prince

Only 8 civs was the thing I was most dissapointed with, so this is great news

Can't wait to play the scenario's that will use 16 civs. No more of the "neutral civ" that so often ended up being the strongest of them all.

Great work Firaxis
Old September 29, 2001, 09:14   #54
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

I...I...I'm becoming aroused...
Old September 29, 2001, 09:36   #55
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:53
Quote:
I...I...I'm becoming aroused...
Tell me about it!

Between this news and seeing the video, I've got major wood...

More towels!!!

Old September 29, 2001, 10:35   #56
Oligarf
Warlord

Damn how happy can you be?
16 CIV's, hell that's great.
HUGE maps, even greater.
Can I really design my own gov, I am happy and I know someone who will be even more happy. FRESNO, where are you!

Boys (and girls?) thanks for this great news, my weekend is perfect now.

Oligarf
Old September 29, 2001, 11:39   #57
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 07:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Breitkreutz FIRAXIS
Yes. Using the editor you can allow 16 civs to be played on smaller map sizes and also change the default sizes of the maps. Of course, the map size must be large enough to be able to place 16 civs somewhere on the map. You can also use the editor to play the larger maps with less civs if you want.
Didn't I say that earlier?

Also, as we went round and round a few months ago, don't assume that more is more regarding playing with 9+ civs. I would willing to bet that many, if not most, of you will find that playing with that many civs will make the game too unwieldy and waaaay too long for your taste.

Do you have the patience to play a single Civ3 game that could possibly take 40+ hours to complete? Even playing with 16 on a normal (or smaller) map, don't you think that half of them will be reduced or eliminated early on so you still end up dealing with no more than 7 when it comes down to it?
Old September 29, 2001, 11:53   #58
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Quote:
I would willing to bet that many, if not most, of you will find that playing with that many civs will make the game too unwieldy and waaaay too long for your taste.
Not me I love long games! in civ2 I change the tech paradigm to 100/10 so it takes 10 times as long. Great fun!

Quote:
Do you have the patience to play a single Civ3 game that could possibly take 40+ hours to complete?
40, 80, 120 hours. Bring it on!!! Who needs sleep anyway?

Quote:
Even playing with 16 on a normal (or smaller) map, don't you think that half of them will be reduced or eliminated early on so you still end up dealing with no more than 7 when it comes down to it?
New ones will take the place of the fallen ones, if they are avaliavle that is (custom civs). Also, the maps can be made up to 6 times the size of civ2, giving plenty of room for more civs. even the "standard" huge setting is 2 times as big as the biggest civ2 map!
Old September 29, 2001, 11:54   #59
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Which means you MUST use the editor to use 16 civs on anything but the largest map...why? Sur++++it is no big simply to let the gamer decide the number of civs and map size on launch...correct? I'm already hearing the answer:

"We have worked hard to maximize the AI according to the number of civs and map size. While players are free to use the editor to setup anything they like, we don't recommend playing anything other than the default values available on startup."

Strange...
can it yin.

i would actually like it if the ai was better, maybe you wouldn't... but hey, youre entitled to your own opinion...
Old September 29, 2001, 12:07   #60
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Clark
Do you have the patience to play a single Civ3 game that could possibly take 40+ hours to complete?
I like to outline plans for the next phase of a long game. BTW, 16 civs are an option.

Quote:
Even playing with 16 on a normal (or smaller) map, don't you think that half of them will be reduced or eliminated early on so you still end up dealing with no more than 7 when it comes down to it?
We donīt know the accurate effects of culture, but I guess the share of civs outliving the early game will increase.

Take a look at this replay screenshot (http://www.civ3.com/images/screenshots/replay.jpg): All 8 civs have survived till 1330 AD, and Iīd say 7 have a good chance to survive the next turns. Granted, this game may have taken place on a large or huge map, but the civs seem to have made contact some time ago, so my hopes for the standard map are up.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW