Old September 29, 2001, 13:19   #61
Madine
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 07:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What Mike said makes it seem like the only way to change the number of civs is with the editor.
Old September 29, 2001, 19:03   #62
Falconius
Prince

Local Time: 08:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Clark
Didn't I say that earlier?
Maybe, but your personal opinion doesn't carry the weight of an official pronouncement from FIRAXIS.

Quote:
] Originally posted by Steve Clark
Do you have the patience to play a single Civ3 game that could possibly take 40+ hours to complete?
YES! What's your hurry? When I'm playing the latest version of the greatest game of all time, I'm happy as a pig in mud. The longer, the better!
Old September 29, 2001, 20:25   #63
aebbeka
Civilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEM
King

Crowded map
When I played with 16 or so civs in CTP2, (after manually editing some text files...), the whole map (i had it set as big as possible) would be taken after everyone built 2 or 3 cities. All this did was cause instant war.

Is this the case for all of you, or am I doing something wrong???

Adam
Old September 29, 2001, 20:33   #64
Steve Clark
King

My personal opinion is NOT the same as a Firaxis annoucement?!?!?

No seriously, remember what I have kept harping on all of these months? Holding to Firaxis' promise that Civ3 will be extremely customizable. This one of the earliest things they promised (pre-civ3.com) and anything/everything like the number and type of civs, I expect would be customizable.
Old September 29, 2001, 21:00   #65
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 21:53
yin.. the world is just not perfect enough is it

I have two thoughts for you to think about, but I won't tell them to you until after you reply to the above sentence (if you do)
Old September 29, 2001, 22:39   #66
Roman
King

Local Time: 13:53
This is the best piece of news about Civ 3 yet!!!

Huray, huray, huray!!!

Old September 30, 2001, 16:37   #67
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 14:53
Quote:
Originally posted by aebbeka
When I played with 16 or so civs in CTP2, (after manually editing some text files...), the whole map (i had it set as big as possible) would be taken after everyone built 2 or 3 cities. All this did was cause instant war.
On a screenshot of a Civ3 game taking place on a large (not huge) map someone counted about 120 cities. With 16 civs, that would be 7-8 cities per civ on average, and ranging from perhaps 5 to 12. Provided the smallest civs adopt a cultural strategy and therefore can not be taken over easily by the bigger civs, this should result in very interesting games – full of war and diplomacy.

(Speaking of diplomacy, I´d really appreciate a foreign advisor screenshot with 16 civs.)
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old September 30, 2001, 21:33   #68
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:53
simple question maybe but it's been a while since i played civ2 and ctp. how big were the biggest maps on these games?
just to compare. thanks
Old September 30, 2001, 21:40   #69
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 00:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by lockstep
(Speaking of diplomacy, I´d really appreciate a foreign advisor screenshot with 16 civs.)
Me too ... 16 civs is nice to have, but if the foreign advisor screen will not show all of them at once then there's a problem.
Old September 30, 2001, 21:56   #70
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 09:53
Quote:
can it yin.

i would actually like it if the ai was better, maybe you wouldn't... but hey, youre entitled to your own opinion...
What a pathetic waste of a troll! LOL!

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old October 1, 2001, 02:21   #71
izmircali
Chieftain

Re: Crowded map
Quote:

Adam
I played a game with 32 awhile back, it ws on the word map I down loaded. I didn't play aggressively. more like trying to keep balance of power in regions. Some civs were small like 3 or 4 but my three big competitors had 20+ cities. I reached 45 fairly fast too. So it should be possible depending on the map.

I'm all for 16. More would be nice. 256x256, you can have a good roman empire (historic size) on the world map now! A scenario of just Europe though reminds how big the expanse of European Russia was in some Civ2 Maps.

I hope you can edit it to have civs pop up later, A colonialism scenario with a trigger of an actually American player instead of barbarians would be SWEEEEEEEEEEET.
Old October 1, 2001, 07:13   #72
gremalkin
Chieftain

Well done Firaxis!! Now make sure that AI kicks-ass and you will have done all I require!!

Goodbye old pc - I'm gonna have to upgrade for this!!

Goodbye girlfriend - you won't see me till xmas!!
Old October 1, 2001, 08:26   #73
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:

Aebbeka,

Did you download all the Apolyton mods? One of them contains a huge map designed especially for playing with large amounts of civs.
Old October 1, 2001, 08:52   #74
Roman
King

Re: Crowded map
Quote:

Adam
In CTP 2 the max. map size is actually 32768 times 32768 tiles!!! You just need to edit it in the text files.
Old October 1, 2001, 10:10   #75
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

You lot have got me thinking that this is going to be like my first ever civ experience but better once I get going, a huge world, all those other civs to meet. The one thing that could be handy for larger maps is for units to have increased movement rates, eg, x2, but maintaining the attack parameters the same (eg, a tank may move 6 but will be only able to attack 3 times, ie, 1 movement point will mean movement of 2 squares)

Increased number of civs in the game was a major desire of mine, the number 1. With this in and all the other things implemented into the game, I am quite excited!

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 1, 2001, 10:16   #76
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quick question: When you use the editor, don't you have to 'seed' the civs? So unless you use a scenario made by somebody else, you'll always know where all the civs are once you've placed those 16 civs on the 'non-standard 16-civ map.' Sorry to state the obvious...but unless you plan to play with 16 civs on the standard map, the editor option will be rather irritating.

Firaxis: Please just let us determine the number of civs and maps size without having to do editor hacks. Feel free to put in the AI warnings as needed. Thank you.

Old October 1, 2001, 10:48   #77
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

I agree with brain damage...

Better AI, not more. I dont want the preplanned boneheads of CTP and CIV2. All they did was build irrigation and make for pathetic adversarys. Neither of the games do I recall losing more than a few cities out of the 3 years I have been playing. Yet i have taken thousands of AI cities.

Dont get me wrong, 16 is great. But how long will the turns take? just using a calculator and the Civ2 AI time frame.. it would take about 3 minutes to complete a turn .

Do I want 16 stupid nations running around? Make an alliance with them like in Civ2, only to have them turn around and pillage a road...or Demand heaps of tech just to stay friends?

Better AI will satfisy me.
Old October 1, 2001, 11:09   #78
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:53
Don't think so
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Quick question: When you use the editor, don't you have to 'seed' the civs? So unless you use a scenario made by somebody else, you'll always know where all the civs are once you've placed those 16 civs on the 'non-standard 16-civ map.' Sorry to state the obvious...but unless you plan to play with 16 civs on the standard map, the editor option will be rather irritating.

Firaxis: Please just let us determine the number of civs and maps size without having to do editor hacks. Feel free to put in the AI warnings as needed. Thank you.
First, in Civ II editing you didn't have to seed the civs. You could just make a map and when you started the game, if the civs weren't placed by you, the game randomly placed them on the map.

I think you're mistaken in how you are viewing the editor. You are looking at it like the scenario editor of Civ II. This isn't a scenario editor--it's a program to modify the entire game, which will allow you to change the very rules of the game.

From everything I've seen and read, The editor will be very easy to use and robust. There should be nothing stopping you from having the game randomly place civs on the maps.

Cheers.
Old October 1, 2001, 11:21   #79
Steve Clark
King

Boris is quite correct. This would mean (as with Civ2) that several civs will be randomly placed in a very bad spot (like a single square island) and won't grow.

I also want to add, again, I really don't expect most of you will have the patience to play with 16 civs. It would be tedious than fun, esp. taking into account what faded glory said about it can take 3 minutes per turn. Assuming 5 minutes for your turn, that's 40+ hours FOR ONE SINGLE GAME of Civ. And I really believe that that figure is underestimated. But we'll see.
Old October 1, 2001, 11:32   #80
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Boris is quite correct. This would mean (as with Civ2) that several civs will be randomly placed in a very bad spot (like a single square island) and won't grow.

I also want to add, again, I really don't expect most of you will have the patience to play with 16 civs. It would be tedious than fun, esp. taking into account what faded glory said about it can take 3 minutes per turn. Assuming 5 minutes for your turn, that's 40+ hours FOR ONE SINGLE GAME of Civ. And I really believe that that figure is underestimated. But we'll see.
I think the initial placement of civs will be much better in Civ3. They've said that the game will be much smarter at placing the civs in more suitable areas for growth. Let's not start putting Civ2 presumptions on Civ3 (something people seem to do a lot...folks, Civ3 is a DIFFERENT GAME).

I will certainly try the 16 cive game, but only on a very large or huge map. I personally don't have the time to play for 6+ hours straight (which is why I don't vare one bit about MP), as I usually only play for 2 hours max on weeknights when I get home from work/the gym/going out/etc. On weekends, I may get some playtime in the mornings, but not likely. I think having 8-10 civs, including my own, will prove to be enough for me. But, like I said, I will gladly give it a try! :-)

OH, and since we don't know how gameplay in Civ3 is going to be just yet, let's not assume that it will be as tedious as Civ2 games could get.

Cheers.
Old October 1, 2001, 11:42   #81
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
They've said that the game will be much smarter at placing the civs in more suitable areas for growth.
Did Firaxis or a preview really state this? I´d like to see a link.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old October 1, 2001, 11:46   #82
Steve Clark
King

Boris, you and I have the exact same gametime schedule and while I expect all of my strategy games to take around 30 hours (2 weeks of playing), much more than that would just be a bit much, unless Civ3 can hold that attention after the initial excitement wears off.

I understand what you are saying about the differences. For a spaceship win, I believe the game will go faster. But if you are playing bloodlust or 2/3 of the world for a win, it would take a looong time to find the remaining civs (esp. since more would last into the latter eras). Someone said that it would take 45 turns just to send a battleship around a huge map, in a straight line. So 20 turns just to get a fleet of caravels or battleships half way across a map is the basis for my point on having patience and perhaps be tedious for some. This is not taking into consideration having to move an army, esp. when moving on roads/rails would be somewhat limited (as they should).

No, I really believe at this point that 8-10 civs (as you said) on a normal map would be more than enough, esp. since we will taking more time for diplomacy, culture and resources gathering.
Old October 1, 2001, 11:47   #83
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by lockstep

Did Firaxis or a preview really state this? I´d like to see a link.
I THINK it might have been Gamespot, since I rely on them the most for in depth coverage. BUT I could be confusing a post here from way back that mentioned it.

However, with the general improvements in the AI and such that we already know of, and with the undoubtedly strong feeling of gamers in this regard, I would be seriously surprised if Firaxis hasn't already addressed the issue. Seriously.

Cheers.
Old October 1, 2001, 11:55   #84
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 15:53
Ha, I already told my girlfriend that I won't have time for a week or two when Civ3 comes out. But 16 civs and huge maps will keep me busy for a month at least without the possibility to stop for even a second!! And after that month I will invent new govs and customize and customize and customize... gotta break this post up before my excitement overwhelms me!
Old October 1, 2001, 12:12   #85
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
...if the civs weren't placed by you, the game randomly placed them on the map.
O.K. That sounds good. Now for the quality of the placing...LOL!

Old October 1, 2001, 12:29   #86
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Ok...
Quote:
Boris, you and I have the exact same gametime schedule and while I expect all of my strategy games to take around 30 hours (2 weeks of playing), much more than that would just be a bit much, unless Civ3 can hold that attention after the initial excitement wears off....

No, I really believe at this point that 8-10 civs (as you said) on a normal map would be more than enough, esp. since we will taking more time for diplomacy, culture and resources gathering.
Don't take this the wrong way...not meant as a slam...but what are you complaining about? No one is going to force you to play with 16 civs on a huge world, so why do you care if some other guys you don't know decide they want to try it? It doesn't in any way effect you, so why keep posting on it? Trying to convert them?

As I've said all along, the customization ability sounds like it will solve a lot of the gripes with the game.

Cheers.
Old October 1, 2001, 12:51   #87
Steve Clark
King

Nah, just following the edicts from the Civ3 Realists Club by-laws. Part of such realism is predicting what's going to be realistic as oppose to pre-release hype and excitement.

Customization is where Civ3 is going to be at, without a doubt. Not to fix "problems" but to tailor the game to suite any of our widely varied needs and desires (and for me to spend 90% of my civ time playing scenarios).
Old October 1, 2001, 13:10   #88
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
Dan, can you have a 16 civ interface up as a screen next week. I like to see how the foreign advisor screen looks, now when you have added support for it.
This latest tidbit from Firaxis said nothing about 16 civ support on the advisor screens. The last we heard was that 8 civs will be the most supported. I hope they do support 16, but as of now I dont think it's the case.
Old October 1, 2001, 13:24   #89
Slax
Prince

Re: Don't think so
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
First, in Civ II editing you didn't have to seed the civs. You could just make a map and when you started the game, if the civs weren't placed by you, the game randomly placed them on the map....
How did this work in SMAC? Wouldn't this be a better indicator of how things might happen in CIV III?
Old October 1, 2001, 13:27   #90
Steve Clark
King

Quote:
Originally posted by HalfLotus

This latest tidbit from Firaxis said nothing about 16 civ support on the advisor screens. The last we heard was that 8 civs will be the most supported. I hope they do support 16, but as of now I dont think it's the case.
Picture that advisor screen with 16 civs (and all of their lines). Don't you think that it would render the screen unreadable and thus, unuseable?

Personally, I prefer a matrix as done in many other games, not colored lines. That's how you could fit in 16 civs and their relationships.