Old September 28, 2001, 16:21   #1
Zorro's Z
Settler

Local Time: 14:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
No cheat mode!
There will be no cheat mode in civ 3! http://www.civ3.com/asktheteam_092801.cfm

I don't like that! I like to sometimes cheat a little and reveal the entire world map, or drop some units deep into enemy territory, or switch players just for fun to see how the AI is doing (could u do this also in civ 2 or only in CtP? i don't remember).

Anybody else regrets the lack of a cheat mode? Civ needs a cheat mode!
Old September 28, 2001, 16:38   #2
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:54
I hope there will still be some mode allowing you to let the game running without actually participating yourself, with just computer civs duking it out and you sneaking a peek occassionally to see how they're doing. If you had nothing to do, it was a good way to pass the time. Also, it allowed one to test what happened if you gave, for instance, Egyptians 5 Tanks in 1200 BC.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old September 28, 2001, 16:40   #3
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Zorro's Z
Anybody else regrets the lack of a cheat mode? Civ needs a cheat mode!
It would be nice with a "reveal map" -option, just to check out how good the map-generator & the AI-civs are. Im curious the first couple of games. But other then that? No.
Old September 28, 2001, 16:48   #4
Tventano
Warlord

Experiments
Cheating is out.

But in the editor you can ofcourse see the whole map, switch the reveal whole map flag and create some tanks and drop them somethere. After that you can just load your special scenario and observe your scenario. Still all possible I think.

I am positive about this. Creating a scenario or setting up an experiment is not cheating and I did not like that it was called like that. I presume the editor is that much more powerful, that including it in the game just became unmanageable. I hope the user interface is good, as I fully trust the UI of the game is good I am not so sure about the editor, but my hopes are growing.
Old September 28, 2001, 16:51   #5
Zorro's Z
Settler

But can the editor be used in the game itself while playing? Then it would be about the same as a cheat mode I guess.
Old September 28, 2001, 17:01   #6
RobC
Warlord

Local Time: 05:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Zorro's Z
But can the editor be used in the game itself while playing? Then it would be about the same as a cheat mode I guess.
It seems to be that you should be able to save a current game and then load that game into the scenario editor...
Old September 28, 2001, 17:03   #7
Tventano
Warlord

I have the impression that the Editor is a seperate application. Just like the MapEditor in CivII is.

Btw I just remember for CivI that I had a mapeditor on my BBS which integrated with the game itself.
Old September 28, 2001, 21:29   #8
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefu
I hope there will still be some mode allowing you to let the game running without actually participating yourself, with just computer civs duking it out and you sneaking a peek occassionally to see how they're doing. If you had nothing to do, it was a good way to pass the time. Also, it allowed one to test what happened if you gave, for instance, Egyptians 5 Tanks in 1200 BC.
Hehehe, I liked seeing what would happen if you gave the Aztecs all techs in the beginning. If they bring back this mode, they should do it without dialog boxes. You shouldn't see the entire map, just what the civs have discovered. And you should see every move without constantly clicking Enter. Maybe even diplomatic negotiations as an option.

As for cheating, I never used it much other than to nuke every city after the score was calculated and watching the aftermath. Global warming (which should be nuclear winter) + severely handicapped cities + lots of pollution = fun for me!

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old September 28, 2001, 23:32   #9
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 09:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Stefu
Makes for some good entertainment, eh?

Alpha Centauri didn't have a cheat mode either (that I am aware of), but had a built in editor that would allow you to cheat by activating it mid-game.

Probably will be the same with CivIII.