Old September 28, 2001, 22:27   #1
Christantine The Great
Prince

Local Time: 08:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
From Orange: Diplomacy Options
[quote]Are there any requirements I need to fulfill before I can start conducting diplomacy?

Yes. To engage in diplomatic talks with another civ, you must first make contact with that civ. You can do this either by physically entering their territory or by trading another civ for contact with that civ. Other Civs may also seek you out by entering your territory. You also need to establish an embassy (granted by the writing technology) to be able to enter into agreements more advanced than simple peace treaties. To be able to enter into trade negotiations with other civs, you need a road connecting one of your cities to one of their cities. To exchange world maps, you need the technology of map making.

Quote:
Finally, you must be at peace with a Civ to tender any proposal other than a peace treaty.
So...what if you want to negotiate a settlement before peace? IE - you give me 200 gold and Veii and we'll sign a peace treaty. If you sign the peace treaty first, they may not give you the things you want. Sure you can go to war with them again, but it lowers your trust among other nations and still doesn't accomplish anything. Does anyone have more info on this?

I posted this for orange because he's had some trouble getting on.
Old September 28, 2001, 22:31   #2
Madine
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 07:54
I would assume that you could do things like money and cities without a peace treaty, but for stuff like a right of passage pact you would need to already have a peace treaty signed.
Old September 28, 2001, 22:38   #3
manofthehour
Warlord

Local Time: 13:54
I know I saw a screen shot where people were bargining gold for peace.
Old September 28, 2001, 22:43   #4
hardjoy
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 14:54
Thats a good question. Usually it works like this in most mp games I've played. First you work out conditions of peace, which usually means trading some cities or techs, units etc. And then you sign the treaty. It would be logical to make it work like this with the AI players as well.

Also, it'd make it more demanding to sign a peace treaty, since AI demands don't tend to be on the light side. With both Civ1 and Civ2 basically it worked like this. You almost always had to give something away (techs or gold) in order to "show respect" and make peace with the AI tribes. Could be interesting if this concept is somewhat expanded to include giving up cities or units. I suspect it is. But how can you do it, if you sign the treaty first?
Old September 28, 2001, 22:45   #5
hardjoy
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 14:54
AH! Okay, I get it. I think. In order to cut a deal, the peace treaty has to be part of the deal. So before moving on to other trade subjects, you have to "settle" the peace treaty, which obviously includes demands from the dominant party....
Old September 29, 2001, 12:29   #6
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:54
Ok, hopefully that's the case. It would suck if you had to sign peace treaties before you could do anything else

Thanks for posting this CtG

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui