Old September 29, 2001, 01:08   #1
Dire Wolf
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I would pre-order but...
Hey there,

My wife and I are big fans of Civ style games (though I do lean more towards FPS). I would love to pre-order Civ3 to show my support but I can't get a straight answer from Firaxis about the multiplayer component.

The whole reason my wife and I were excite about Civ3 was because we though we could play with each other against the computer. Now it seems that there may not even be multiplayer included in the game at all.

I sent in a post to "Ask the Civ Team" regarding options for multiplay and the answer I received didn't really answer the question.

Here is the response:

Quote:
"Thanks for your email! We're working on some cool multiplayer concepts that will take a fresh approach to the challenge of making multiplayer for a turn-based game fun. We're not yet ready to give details, but stay tuned. When we have more to report, the site will be updated and our fans, as always, will be the first to know!"
What does this mean exactly? I'll pre-order Civ3 if I can get a straight answer but until then I'll just wait until it arrives in the stores. If it doesn't have a MP component, I'll have to consider whether to pick it up or not (or just keep playing CTP2).

Best regards,

Joel
Old September 29, 2001, 01:14   #2
BorderPatrol
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:55
I have been asking Firaxis about Civilization IIIs plans for multiplayer since May with no response. I pre-ordered it weeks ago assuming that it would ship with some kind of multiplayer capabilities. I hadn't even thought about it just not having the ability to play multiplayer at all. I am becoming more and more distressed about this though and if I don't here word soon that there will be muliplayer when it is shipped I may have to cancel my order.
Old September 29, 2001, 02:17   #3
Dire Wolf
Chieftain

I don't understand why they can't respond with a simple yes there will be multiplayer when it ships or no, there won't be.

They probably don't want to hurt pre-orders as most people think multiplayer will be included. Probably the PR guys/publisher forcing the devs not to say anything...

Seems a bit underhanded but possibly understandable from a marketing point of view...
Old September 29, 2001, 02:18   #4
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 09:55
I would say that, at this point, either Firaxis isn't sure if the initial release will have MP, or that Firaxis does know that MP will come after release and are just trying to soften up the bad news by being vague.

I don't blame them though- it ain't easy making a game of this magnitude, and they just want to be sure that each mode of play is as perfected as possible. And I can imagine that Infogrames has put the pressure on them to release the game NOW without a perfected MP component, as opposed to releasing it in MARKET DEAD Q1 and Q2 of next year.

But what do I know?
Old September 29, 2001, 02:35   #5
Dire Wolf
Chieftain

Well as long as they dont release Civ 3 MP 6 months later and charge 59.99 for it...I guess that will be OK.
Old September 29, 2001, 04:13   #6
bigfree1

This is info from BestBuy.com; they seem to think that multiplayer will be included. At the very least, I'd think, if it wasn't included and you pre-order or buy the game for that matter and then it doesn't "fully" support MP, then you'd have a good chance at getting your money back.
I've had very good experiences with Best Buy, as far as goods meeting the requirements they have advertised for, if not they've been very accomodating as far as allowing returns of both hardware and software (just talk to a department manager, they are pretty amenable when you have a legitimate complaint. It would be best to visit the site and print the actual page out for future proof. Any way, here's the info:

Civilization III

Publisher: Infogrames Inc.
Platform: Windows
Media Type: CD-ROM
ESRB Rating: E=Everyone
Number of Discs: 1
Genre: Strategy

Release Date: 11/1/2001.
Pre-order not available for store pickup.
Pre-order info.

$49.99

SYNOPSIS
Build, explore, conquer, rule — no biggie

Experience a game of epic proportions where players can match wits against the greatest leaders of the world in an all-out quest to build the ultimate empire. This highly addictive journey of discovery includes exciting new features that build on and enrich the Civilization experience. Now there are new pathways to explore, strategies to employ and more powerful tools to build and manage your empire.

In Civ III you must dominate the world through diplomatic finesse, cultural domination and military prowess. New elements of culture, nationality and the arts will help you plan and focus your empire-building efforts. Meanwhile, more interactions, alliances and realistic artificial intelligence responses will put you in the middle of negotiations, trade systems and diplomatic actions. Don't be uncivilized.

FEATURES
New technologies, wonders of the world and great people expand the scope of the game

Improved combat options provide finer levels of control for enhanced war-making capabilities

Advanced trade system to manage resources, trade routes and the spread of technology

Active world generator creates highly realistic maps and organic terrain features

Complete game editor screens for unprecedented customization

For the first time, you can use your nation's culture to expand your borders

Take a seat at the bargaining table using a more flexible diplomacy system

Complete multiplayer support

PC

Minimum PC System Requirements:
Processor Type: Intel® Pentium® processor

Processor Speed: 300MHz

Operating System: Windows 95/98, Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me), Windows 2000

System Memory: 32MB RAM

Hard Drive Space: 100MB

Video: 16-bit, DirectX 7

Sound Card: DirectX 7-compatible

Drive Type and Speed: CD-ROM 4x

Multiplayer Internet: No

Multiplayer Network: No

Old September 29, 2001, 04:18   #7
Dire Wolf
Chieftain

At the bottom of your post:

Multiplayer Internet: No
Multiplayer Network: No

Doesn't that confirm no-multiplayer support...?
Old September 29, 2001, 04:21   #8
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

No, actually... it just says that they aren't required for the game.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old September 29, 2001, 04:30   #9
Ralf
King

Local Time: 14:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Dire Wolf
If it doesn't have a MP component, I'll have to consider whether to pick it up or not (or just keep playing CTP2).
Does CTP-2 have multiplayer-support? I thought they ditched that because the game quickly turned out to be a commercial flop. You perhaps meant the original CTP?

Quote:
Originally posted by bigfree1
This is info from BestBuy.com; they seem to think that multiplayer will be included.
I have pre-ordered the LE-version from Game stop, and they dont list anything about multiplayer-support. Firaxis will most probably add it later, together with the expected expansion-package. And thats good enough for me.
Old September 29, 2001, 05:13   #10
bigfree1

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf

Firaxis will most probably add it later, together with the expected expansion-package. And thats good enough for me.
This is true for me also, I was just saying that if you were to buy the game and later decide that it is not complete without MP, then you have an avenue, through Best Buy, to return the game; later if MP is supported through a patch or an inexpensive add-on, then you could go ahead a get it then. This is assumimg that MP is absolutely the most important factor in considering the game for purchase. For myself, I wouldn't be playing any MP games for quite awhile, at least until I got a pretty good handle on SP.

Old September 29, 2001, 06:26   #11
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dire Wolf
Well as long as they dont release Civ 3 MP 6 months later and charge 59.99 for it...I guess that will be OK.
OHH HO ho HO!! They damn well better not be thinking they are going to charge extra for it...

They can kiss my great big BLEEP!
Old September 29, 2001, 06:34   #12
Ralf
King

Local Time: 14:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
OHH HO ho HO!! They damn well better not be thinking they are going to charge extra for it...
You only get bug-patches with minor gameplay-adjustments added downloadable for free. A complicated feature like MP will obviously be bundled together with lots of other cool additions in a reduced price Civ-3 expansion-pack. And, yes - it will probably be released about 6 months later.
Old September 29, 2001, 11:53   #13
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 15:55
Quote:
Does CTP-2 have multiplayer-support? I thought they ditched that because the game quickly turned out to be a commercial flop.
ctp2 had multiplayer but it didnt have pbem
Old September 29, 2001, 12:06   #14
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Quote:

I have pre-ordered the LE-version from Game stop, and they dont list anything about multiplayer-support. Firaxis will most probably add it later, together with the expected expansion-package. And thats good enough for me.
me as well
Old September 29, 2001, 13:33   #15
Dire Wolf
Chieftain

I guess the whole point for me was being able to play Civ3 with my wife. She can't handle FPS games as they make her sick - one of those unlucky few.

I wouldn't mind paying for an expansion pack as long as they didn't charge another $59-$79 CAN for it (then again I'd probably buy it anyways...)

Ah well.

It would be nice to get a solid answer though...why the secrecy?