Old September 29, 2001, 20:37   #1
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 23:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
MGE Converter Problems
I'm trying to convert BreBro's scenario 'Subwars' using MGE converter. When I drag the .scn and labels files onto the MGE converter file, it creates new ones. However, Civ won't load the scenario, claiming that the .scn file isn't a saved game!
Can anyone help me?
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old September 29, 2001, 23:02   #2
Hobbes
Warlord

Local Time: 06:56
I converted the scenario file fine, but then I had problems with the labels. so I got rid of the labels. that usually works... but... turns out I need the labels to work with the events, so the event don't work. So, I can play the game, just no events.

"...gays who, because they just NEEDED their orgies..." -Mr. A. Speer
Old October 1, 2001, 22:19   #3
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

I still can't get it to work

Hobbes, could you email me the converted scenario file? My adress is: nick_dowling@hotmail.com
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
Old October 1, 2001, 23:00   #4
Hobbes
Warlord

Local Time: 06:56
done and done!

"...gays who, because they just NEEDED their orgies..." -Mr. A. Speer
Old October 4, 2001, 03:00   #5
Case
Emperor

Thanks
Old October 4, 2001, 08:42   #6
William Keenan
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 08:56
Did it work? What had to be done to the LABELS.TXT? I want to document the process.
Old October 4, 2001, 09:09   #7
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 15:56
Well, playing without events is not recommended for this scn. You need the right labels.txt especially for one reason: I changed the term "Barbarians" in the labels.txt to "Unknown", so all events that create Barbs (these are not much) have owner=Unknown. If you use other labels, the game finds only "Barbarians" in the labels and gives an error...

So you should only change some terms in the labels.txt, especially the "Barbarians" thing. If it does not work with the original MGE labels, take a FW labels file and change it there.
Other changes I´ve done in the labels should not affect the gameplay, they are mainly for the atmosphere, e.g. changing the term "City" to "Base", "River" to "Deep Sea Stream", or "Road" to "Transport Tube" etc, etc.

BTW, the events file may also be too big for FW. Then you could split it into two parts (make an eventschange during the game). Since there are a lot of IFTURN events, you can easily keep all other events in both parts , but have the earlier IFTURN events in part one, the rest in part two...

Hope this helps... Contact me if there are still problems.