View Poll Results: how long from Civ3 to civ 3 MP??
before SP Civ 3 2 3.08%
0-3 months 8 12.31%
3-6 months 22 33.85%
6 months to a year 18 27.69%
1-2 years 2 3.08%
2-3 years 0 0%
3-4 years 0 0%
greater than 4 years 3 4.62%
spammers check here (banana) 10 15.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 3, 2001, 02:21   #31
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I think they will watch the sales and release the MP when it looks like sales are dropping off.
Old October 3, 2001, 16:45   #32
Moral Hazard
King

Local Time: 09:57
I don’t believe Mr. Pleasant was lying about the email he receive from Firaxis PR. I don’t remember which thread it was in, but he stated that multi-player won’t be out till spring, IIRC. I’m sure that not putting MP in the original release was due to production problems. The real question is why was it axed?

A) The component wasn’t compelling enough. In this case I’m expecting an early summer or late spring release target (could slip to next fall), which yes will cost money. But this isn’t all bad, the improvements which you won’t see in a free release, could justify the money.

B) Concentration on single player. Too many bugs in MP to make a Christmas release, in this case I’m expecting a free mid-spring release. The MP won’t be much better than SMAC. Probably fine for most posters here. Of course this could have originally happened; but they may switch gears and improve the MP, which requires compensation doesn’t it?

Personally I think MP was primarily a tacked on component of most recent TBS games. CTP, CTP2, AOW were all buggy when it came to MP. SMAC’s MP wasn’t buggy but it isn’t played to often is it (outside a core group)? So is it really expected in a TBS?
Old October 6, 2001, 17:58   #33
Melios
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:57
How do you know the person that sent the E-Mail to Mister Pleasant was 100% positive about MP?

Besides, how do you know Firaxis is still delaying MP when there's NO OFFICIAL CONFIRMATION???

This is just insane. Why would they keep quiet if they definitely are delaying it?

If they're still ironing out specifics on MP like how different game types (like Hot Seat, Play by E-Mail, & TCP/IP) work, which are subject to change during the beta testing, then it makes sense that they are quiet, even if MP will be in. The reason is because then you'd want to know what types of MP games are there, but since the types are still being worked on they can't say anything.
Old October 6, 2001, 18:03   #34
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 07:57
although i voted 6-12 months, i was wondering what the corelation between a banana and spam is?
Old October 6, 2001, 18:23   #35
FuFu15
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:57
Quote:
Originally posted by GP

Could you explain why? I find it fascinating...
basically what's the point? does our say have some effect on when they're going to release multiplayer? answer is no. Whatever happens in this poll does not matter, its just what we think. Who the hell cares what we think. They havent even made an announcement on thier expansion. this poll = no point.
Old October 6, 2001, 20:40   #36
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 09:57
Quote:
I hate this argument. If it makes you unhappy, then don't buy it. If it's not worth your money, then don't buy it. They're not forcing you to buy it. They are the ones making the product, they get to set the price. YOU, the consumer, get to decide if you like the price or not. Why should they ask one cent less than you are willing to pay for it? If they ask too much, and people don't buy it, then it's their loss, but so what? It's still their right to set the price. Marketing is about finding the point where profit is maximised. It's not about "how to get this product to whoever wants it for free." This argument is like them setting a price, you NOT buying the game, and the firaxis complaing, saying that it's not FAIR that you didn't buy the game, after they put all that hard work into it.
i ablolute ly agree
Old October 6, 2001, 20:46   #37
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 14:57
I voted 0-3 months because frankly I think whatever "cool multi-player features" Firaxis was talking about couldn't have been for nothing and will be either shipped with the game or soon thereafter.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!