Old August 29, 1999, 05:15   #1
ZTA_Vector
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Patriot SAM ideas?
I had this idea to make a patriot SAM missile that could go out against other air units like a cruise missile. A long range sam battery if you will (which is exactly what it is in RL). But unfortunatly even though I can set it to attack air units theres no way that I can see to stop it from engaging ground units, so it just becomes another cruise missile :P If anyone has any ideas they'd be welcome!

------------------
-Vector
Old August 31, 1999, 07:56   #2
Miner
Prince

Local Time: 01:00
The only thing you can do is set the Attack really low, like 4 or something. Because air units have poor defence this should be adequate (except for stealth units, which are correspondingly harder to hit with missiles, obviously) for taking out planes but not do much for land units.

Personally I add a AAA unit (requires rocketry) which has zero attack but the AEGIS flag + 5 defence. Works nearly as well...
Old August 31, 1999, 08:54   #3
ZTA_Vector
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:00
Thats very interesting, you made a AAA unit to go along with your stacks? Cool. But wouldnt this make air units useless because you could add a few of these to a sam protected city and then it would be invulnerable from the air. Also are these cheaper than the sam improvement? Or more expensive?

------------------
-Vector
Old August 31, 1999, 09:10   #4
Miner
Prince

Local Time: 01:00
Same cost as a Mech Inf. However I edit rules.txt and REMOVE the SAM Batteries improvement because it makes all air attack units effectively obsolete.
This makes for effective air defence for ground units, they stack well with Howies :-)
(same move, 2)
And if anyone thinks this is cheating, the AI use them as well to great effect providing you give them the defence domain flag (and not air superiority).