Old October 1, 2001, 14:10   #31
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 08:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Damn straight. I don't play civ expecting the vikings around in longships pillaging every naval port they come across just because they are vikings. I play civ in the hopes that if they are in a resource lacking area with access to the sea and a have acess to ships to raid and pillage every naval port they come across.

Cultures don't do thing ONLY because thats they're cultural make up. Their culture has to come from somewhere. And a BIG part of it is where and how they live. If the vikings live in a near paradise with no enemies to speak of and everything they want, they're not going to go a pillaging. Right?
Old October 1, 2001, 14:27   #32
Ubik
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:57
Very well, kc. The number of factors involved in the make up of a specific profile of a civilization, are certainly overloocked.

Probably neither the Mongols would become ferocious "bipede bestia" if not placed in the deserted, rugh steppes. Nor the Arabs would have to go on a universal Jihad if their soil was rich and the crop adequate to feed them.

But, what I am talking about is not the portraying of every single civ as it was, no. Since Firaxis decided to implement civ specific units and attributes (not leader specific, civ specific) they had to keep up with a minimum of historical accuracy.

And while we are at it, we could judge their choice of leaders to, as to if they represent the civ in name.

That's (was, actually... it turned into a "who is bashing the americans" or "Lincoln was an angel with a beard" thread) the aim of this thread.
Old October 1, 2001, 14:37   #33
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 07:57
If you want intelligent, on-topic replies, then I would suggest to refrain from making irrelevant commentaries like you did in your first two posts. That led some of us to believe that was your intent all along.
Old October 1, 2001, 15:07   #34
Ubik
Chieftain

The trolls are coming...
No, I am not trolling around. I thought that was perfectly clear.

So, some "intelligent" replies?
Old October 1, 2001, 15:16   #35
Patriqvium
Prince

Local Time: 15:57
Re: The trolls are coming...
Quote:
Originally posted by Ubik

Well, your criticism about Lincoln was a bit strange from the beginning, since every leader included in Civ3 has his or her dark sides. Gandhi? By wanting to keep the whole Indian peninsula unified, he caused many unneeded casualties. Hammurabi? The man who issued more death penalties than George W. Bush. Montezuma? This sick emperor ordered people to be sliced open and thrown down the steps of his fancy pyramid.

The point is that no leader is perfect. Not Lincoln nor anyone else. The point is too that Lincoln is a politically correct figure and widely known. If you want an example about a Civ3 where historical accuracy is placed before gameplay, read the "playtester's report" posted in this forum.
Old October 1, 2001, 16:13   #36
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Re: The trolls are coming...
Quote:
Originally posted by Ubik

Keep this attitude up, and you'll be about as popular as a rug burn.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old October 1, 2001, 22:18   #37
Kc7mxo
King

Quote:
But, what I am talking about is not the portraying of every single civ as it was, no. Since Firaxis decided to implement civ specific units and attributes (not leader specific, civ specific) they had to keep up with a minimum of historical accuracy.
Well. I do go for SOME history. But civ specific attributes isn't history, its opinion. The roman empire fell a long, long time ago. we can't talk to eye witnesses. all we have is their literature and the evidence we've dug up.

How would you like it if 300 years from now the vulcan embassy judges us on our playboy magazines?

American culture:
attributes: horny. arrogant. hungry.
civ specific unit: hooker (and thats NOT general hooker)
leader: hugh hefner
Old October 2, 2001, 02:59   #38
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 09:57
I just hope no history teachers or students look at CivIII as concrete fact.

GEEZUZ!! This is a frickin' game for FRICK sake!!

But anyhow, I have condfidence that Firaxis has taken great pains to make CivIII as accurate as is possible for a PC game.
Old October 2, 2001, 07:18   #39
Ubik
Chieftain

Re: Re: The trolls are coming...
Quote:
Originally posted by orange

Keep this attitude up, and you'll be about as popular as a rug burn.
If I was looking for popularity I'd be running for the office... any office, actually.

I was looking for a discussion... and all I've found was flames...