Old September 12, 1999, 20:02   #1
Jim W
Warlord

Local Time: 00:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Scenarios with different names for peoples

I'm enjoying Civ2 a lot, except that there seems to be a lack of imagination/knowledge on the part of the people who developed the scenarios.

I'd like to find something, just a straight development to conquer the world/firtst to Alpha Centauri where the names of the leaders and cities weren't just cobbled together from present/historical names, and all too often out of context.

What I'd like is something where the people and the cities had totally unique names. I can live with the city-names, because I can always change them. But forever running into Mao Tse-Tung, ruler of China, or Indira Gandhi, ruler of India, yuck.

I suppose if I knew enough about the editorial function, I could change all the names myself, but so far I've only had the game long enough to learn the basics of playing.

I'm sure someone out there must have developed a scenario such as what I'm looking for, but trying to tell what the scenarios might be from the names given to them can be difficult.

Can anybody steer me right?

Jim
Old September 12, 1999, 20:38   #2
Lord Oakden
Settler

That goes for me too!!!! Please tell us how to change the stupid defaults for this game.

------------------
~Lord Oakden~
Old September 12, 1999, 22:08   #3
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 01:01
I have assembled a small collection of ruers of all civs (or almost all) that appear in the game.
A few ones I would reccomend to use are:

Persians: Darius I (M), Atossa (F)
Indians: Ashoka or Chandragupta
If you want Incas in the game:
Atwallapa (or whatever, he's below the list in rules.txt) (M), Cusi Chimpu (F)
Old September 13, 1999, 06:09   #4
mzilikazi
Warlord

Forgive me if this is stating the obvious... but go into your rules.txt and play around with it, edit the ruler names and tribes, change improvement names, change harbor to harbour if you're a Brit, give wonders different names or prerequisites, change the attitude descriptions (I change them so that my enemies are no longer "enraged" with me, but are "p*ssed off")... or whatever you want. Use your imagination, or just do whatever amuses you. You can modify all sorts of stuff in there - and it really is easy, so don't be scared of it.

Just make sure you back the rules.txt file up before doing anything, and stick with the syntax in the original txt - don't leave out those commas, or you'll foul the whole thing up.

Also, you can change city names in teh city.txt file... easy too!
[This message has been edited by mzilikazi (edited September 13, 1999).]
Old September 13, 1999, 20:05   #5
Fast_Eddie

I don't know why you would need to back it up, but just for future reference, my friend (just to point this out, he used a Mac) screwed around with this for a scen, and the file just got corrupted. I looked over it and there were's any errors, but the game still wouldn't use it. Civ is strange, but always amusing .

Old September 13, 1999, 22:06   #6
Jim W
Warlord

What it is, folks, is that I'm too used to Starcraft, where Blizzard has this really great editing function, with everything having to be done in terms of picking something from this column and something from that.

Names, however, are not changeable, and Blizzard just says that they have no plans in future to make an edit function that _will_ allow you to change names.

So I come to Civ 2, and imagine my shock when I find that you can change just about anything. Changing numbers is a bit iffy, because you never know what that might do. But change names? Hey, go ahead, enjoy yourself!

Maybe I won't do anything drastic just yet. I'll have to get together a list of city names I like, and tribal names I like, and then away we go.

I suppose if I ask about changing the portraits of the folks negotiating with me, I'll be told it's just as easy? Please?

Thanks, and in particular thanks for being patient with my ignorance.

Jim W