Old October 1, 2001, 11:32   #1
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 07:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New game offered-- Smax PBEM
I am down to one PBEM so I thought I might try to start another. I have played six to completion but this is my first attempt at organizing one so if I am missing some important point please let me know.

To avoid lengthy discussions on rules and settings, I propose Smax (aliens off limits) on a large world with all settings in the "middle"-- ie average everything. I will find someone (perhaps tau ceti or googlie) with a playtested map to help ensure a fair start.

All rules would be "tournament rules" as set out below. I want a grand total of 4 players of which I would be one (3 AI). The first three others to sign up (with choice of faction) are in. I will choose my faction from those remaining after the other 3 have selected (since I have 5 favorites at least 2 of them will be left).

Here are the "tournament rules" which I propose be accepted "as is " unless there are strong objections
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game options:

Do or Die: eliminated players are not restarted

Spoils of War off

Non-Blind (directed) research

No random events

All victory conditions allowed including cooperative

Unity survey off - map is unknown

Look first on
Normal starting conditions

PBEM specific rules/restrictions on exploiting bugs:
Multiple reloading of the game to try for different effects is forbidden.

Multiple drops or orbital insertions using the right-click menu is forbidden.

Inserting Stockpile Energy into the build queue after a military unit is forbidden.

If a player employs a tactic that causes a state of vendetta, they are not allowed to "accept" a pending diplomatic agreement with that faction, causing a change in diplomatic status or the transfer of energy or knowledge.

If a probe team action is employed against a Treatied or Pacted faction, the initiator must choose the "Declare Vendetta" option, unless permission is received in advance for the action (email).

Upgrading units with the design workshop is allowed at end of turn only.

Communications only allowed between factions that have obtained each others' commlink frequencies in-game.

Social engineering choice limited to one switch per line per turn. (no flip-flop within turn!)

Psi units cannot be assigned multiple point patrol routes (avoid instant demon boil bug!)

No base trading with the AI.

Reverse engineering of units is permitted with the exception of engineering rovers from the probe team rover chassis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If any of the above is unclear please let me know.

I generally play once daily and I am looking for players that can commit to regular play, understanding that we all have lives and might have vacations or weekends away etc. Passing the turn within 24 hours ( and hopefully quicker) will be expected unless you have notified the others that you are away/unavailable.

If you are interested, the first 3 posting in this thread are in. Any takers?
Old October 1, 2001, 19:51   #2
Gregurabi
Prince

Local Time: 13:59
I'm using the Linux version of SMAX and have not played multiplayer SMAC/SMAX before. But I can beat the AI on Transcend, and I've heard that the Linux/Windows versions are PBEM-compatible.

I'd like to join. I'd prefer Peacekeepers, or University. I can't guarantee 24-hour response times, but I can pretty much guarantee 48-hour, and I can usually respond within 24. (I'm in one multiplayer CTP game, so I have some MP experience, just not in this game.)
Old October 1, 2001, 21:10   #3
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

gregurabi

I didn't mean to sound heavy-handed about response times. We all have lives and times we cannot play so "usually"or "generally" able to play within 24 hours is all I am looking for. As for me I usually play within 12 hours but almost certainly at some point I will be unavailable for as much as a week.

As the first sign-up you get the pick of the factions. Unless you say otherwise I will assume you want the peackeepers ( the first mentioned).

I have no experience with Linux players but the only way for us to find out if it works is to try.

Thats one-- I need two more players.
Old October 1, 2001, 22:01   #4
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 06:59
I'll be happy to set up the game for you

G.
Old October 1, 2001, 22:20   #5
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Local Time: 08:59
Flubber (CBN)...

I want to join. I will gladly take the Spartans. This time....
Old October 1, 2001, 23:25   #6
SmartFart
Civilization II MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 15:59
I am also down to just one PBEM and would like to join this one.
My response rate is definitely within 24 hours,less in most cases.

I prefere Transcend level and Morganites or Hive,but any faction will do.
Proposed rules are just fine.

rozovko@inet.hr

Regards.

SF
Old October 1, 2001, 23:59   #7
Flubber
Deity

That makes 4 of us with Googlie acting as our moderator and password holder. It will be

Gregurabi Peackeepers
Northswordsman Spartans
Smartfart Morganites (I picked your first named choice)
Flubber the University

My email is sharris4141@yahoo.com with an alternate email at sharris41@hotmail.com

I see smartfart is at rozovko@inet.hr .

If gregurabi and Northswordsman can provide their email addresses I know googlie is around a fair bit and has a number of maps that are considered to be fair starts so we could have a game started shoprtly.

So googlie, ready when you are. Please set it up as Smax despite the choices of Smac factions . As for the AI, suprise us although as usual I would say no aliens.

Is there anything else from anyone before we get googlie to do the game setup??
Old October 2, 2001, 00:49   #8
NorthSwordsman
Prince

northswordsman@yahoo.com
Old October 2, 2001, 00:52   #9
NorthSwordsman
Prince

By the way, Googlie, can you cheat a bit and put me next door to Zakharov, please? Flubber, you know we got a score to settle from our last game ..

Hay, I'm just kidding!
Old October 2, 2001, 01:29   #10
Flubber
Deity

I can see that a coop victory with the Spartans is unlikely LOL. Oh well, could make for an interesting game.

For the others, Northswordsman took over as a replacement player for someone in vendetta with me in a pretty much impossible situation. Chancellor flubber wishes to state that he has no knowledge of the actions of a "foreman flubber" in some alternate reality

Oh and googlie has emailed me about my free tech so he is obviously putting our game together.

Now all we need is a good name for our game for the turn tracking thread. Any suggestions??

Last edited by Flubber; October 2, 2001 at 01:36.
Old October 2, 2001, 01:42   #11
NorthSwordsman
Prince

yea..... "Flubber's Demise"... I'm kidding, Flub.

How about "Yet another PBEM" ?

Old October 2, 2001, 02:25   #12
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 06:59
Game is ready to go. I need Gregurabi's e-mail addy

G: can you send something to me at:

linfrew@aol.com

Turn order is:

Flubber
Smartfart
NorthSwordsman
Gregurabi

(This protects the integrity of the graphics)

G.
Old October 2, 2001, 06:24   #13
Gregurabi
Prince

Local Time: 13:59
greg@wooledge.org (also mailed to Googlie).
Old October 2, 2001, 08:25   #14
Flubber
Deity

I am thinking of a name that is distinctive enough that its easier ti find in the turn tracking thread How about "Sealurk alert" ? . . . carried !

The turn tracking thread is here http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=28123

Good luck to all !!

Last edited by Flubber; October 2, 2001 at 08:35.