View Poll Results: This is the run-off election for the Babylonian Bowman's stats
change it to 2.2.1 (attack.defense.move) 10 47.62%
leave it as 2.1.2 (the same as the "unique" War Chariot of the Egyptians) 11 52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 1, 2001, 21:15   #1
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Local Time: 14:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Babylonian Bowman Stats (runoff election)
This is to decide between the 2 front runners from the last poll on the Babylonian Bowman's stats. A majority wanted them changed, but they could not agree on what to change it to. The frontrunners were:

leave it as 2.1.2
change it to 2.2.1
Old October 2, 2001, 02:44   #2
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 10:02
The only reason I say leave it is because I don't know where exactly the bowman will fit in at the time it can be built.

Basically I am saying that I just won't know till I get CivIII.
Old October 2, 2001, 09:07   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I say leave it as 2.1.2. My reason is this:
A 2.1.2 unit is much more powerful than a 2.2.1 unit, simply because it can survive longer. The longer it survives (the more battles) then greater chance it has to become veteran/elite, and then it really becomes a killing machine!

But why is it more powerful, you ask? Easy! The extra movement point allows the bowman, if he is being damages badly in a battle, to retreat. By sending out 2 bowmen, the first can attack, and if he wins, great. If he was going to lose (lost half his hitpoints), then he retreats from battle, and then the second bowman attacks, with much better odds of a win than against an undamaged opponent. Upon winning, he might be upgraded to veteran/elite status. Also, the other bowman can then heal himself, and still be used after almost losing a battle.

However, a 2.2.1 unit, when almost at death during a battle, cannot retreat. If they dont win the combat round, they are killed forever, and thus unable to receive much by way of increased rank...
Old October 2, 2001, 13:25   #4
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Maybe, 2.1.2 isn't so unrealistic, but it sure as heck is identical to the Egyptian War Chariot. Is that unique? No. Maybe we should change the War Chariot to a 2.2.1. The one move would represent that they were always getting stuck in the mud. They were useless on terrains other than desert, plains, and grasslands, so on those three terrains only they would move "all as road".
Old October 2, 2001, 15:13   #5
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 15:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Dimorier Maximus
Maybe, 2.1.2 isn't so unrealistic, but it sure as heck is identical to the Egyptian War Chariot. Is that unique? No.
It's not the statistics that make the unit unique, it's what the unit IS. The units themselves have only a marginal advantage over the regular unit (and rightly so), but the Unique Units add a certain level of distinctness to each civilization which makes the experience of playing the Babylonians different from playing the Egyptians. You wouldn't say "BOW BEFORE MY MIGHTY 2.1.2 UNIT!" but "BOW BEFORE MY MIGHTY BOWMAN!" (or War Chariot if you're playing the Egyptians)...

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old October 2, 2001, 17:27   #6
jdd2007
NationStates
King

i say, well unique units need to be unique.

Quote:
It's not the statistics that make the unit unique, it's what the unit IS. The units themselves have only a marginal advantage over the regular unit (and rightly so), but the Unique Units add a certain level of distinctness to each civilization which makes the experience of playing the Babylonians different from playing the Egyptians. You wouldn't say "BOW BEFORE MY MIGHTY 2.1.2 UNIT!" but "BOW BEFORE MY MIGHTY BOWMAN!" (or War Chariot if you're playing the Egyptians)...
dont really agree. how bout, (sarcastically)
my 2-1-2 War Chariot will beat your 2-1-2 BOWMAN!!! o ya? ya! well, well, uhh...
Old October 2, 2001, 19:28   #7
WhiteElephants
King

Local Time: 09:02
I also imagine that the Bowmen would require different resources to build. For instance, I really doubt you'll need horses to build a bowman as you would to build a chariot. I don't have the game, but this could be a distinct advantage above and beyond the simple 2-1-2 or 2-2-1 debate. So in all actuality the bowmen will really be unique from the Egyptian chariots simply because of the resources required to build them will be different. A subtle, but probably vastly important difference especially if you don't have horses as a resource.
Old October 3, 2001, 06:28   #8
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Quote:
I also imagine that the Bowmen would require different resources to build. For instance, I really doubt you'll need horses to build a bowman as you would to build a chariot. I don't have the game, but this could be a distinct advantage above and beyond the simple 2-1-2 or 2-2-1 debate. So in all actuality the bowmen will really be unique from the Egyptian chariots simply because of the resources required to build them will be different. A subtle, but probably vastly important difference especially if you don't have horses as a resource.
hmmm. seriously, i didnt think about this...
Old October 4, 2001, 00:01   #9
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

This poll is tight, but with only 17 votes, it is far from finished. We need more input to settle this thing once and for all.

Whether or not Firaxis changes it, I do not know. But I know that if they don't change it, it will be the first thing I change in my first Civ3 modpack.
Old October 4, 2001, 03:24   #10
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:02
I say change it to 2.2.1 A non mounted, non wheeled unit should not have a movement of 2 that early on in the game.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old October 4, 2001, 17:49   #11
jdd2007
NationStates
King

the poll is close...
Old October 5, 2001, 04:51   #12
Mankind
Warlord

Local Time: 15:02