I already refuse to buy for some other reason/I dont care 7 10.94%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 3, 2001, 09:32   #61
Staszek
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
There is no Golden Rule.

Sometimes games realy lost atmosphere after translation, sometimes the translated version was even better (eg. BG2).

Translation allows those who do not speak the language to explore heavy language loaded games like Civilization.

I started my adventure with Civ 1 and learned English in almost the same time. It helped a lot. Still, I think we should give people a choice.

BTW, imagine French without French version? Nooo...... or Spanish?
Old October 3, 2001, 09:36   #62
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 16:03
As the first Civ game was released I couldn't speak english and I had nobody to translate it for me, but the game was still one of the greatest games (if it wasn't I wouldn't have been here today), I had no trouble seeing that "this" must mean "that", etc...If they had released Civ1 in a localized version back in the days I wouldn't know the game today

Quote:
Originally posted by krzysiek
In my country English version of Civ3 will be shipped first, but then localized version will show up. I think that's fair.
And in my country the english version never shows up if the game is localized, so not everybody has that posibility
Old October 3, 2001, 19:45   #63
PGM
Prince

Local Time: 14:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Takeshi
What I am against is depriving non-english speakers of Civ3 by forbidding XYZ company from making a french,spanish,whatever version. This is nothing but selfish and elitist behavior.
I agree with that too. If people have a choice between a set of languages, that's good, what I'm annoyed about is having to wait a month or two for Firaxis to sell the game in Europe, because they're translating it to a language I'm not even going to use. And I'm pretty sure they're not even going to translate it to portuguese (which I wouldn't use, anyway). I could order it from the US, but with taxes the total cost would be rather high.
Old October 3, 2001, 20:59   #64
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 08:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Staszek
BTW, imagine French without French version? Nooo......
hahaha

yeah, they have a LAW against using enlish in ads and official documents. i could never see that happening
Old October 5, 2001, 05:07   #65
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

First sorry for not reporting so long. I must admint I simply forgot about having posted this thread here.

But anyway I am really astound about lots and lots of people thinking the same.
Of course if you would spend lots of money in localization you could get out a pretty good copy. But it is still different from the authors intentions.
Watch Monthy Python in english and german and notice the difference.
Though I have to admit that Monthy Python are very very well dubbed. Some exceptions included of course.

Quote:
As the first Civ game was released I couldn't speak english and I had nobody to translate it for me, but the game was still one of the greatest games (if it wasn't I wouldn't have been here today), I had no trouble seeing that "this" must mean "that", etc...If they had released Civ1 in a localized version back in the days I wouldn't know the game today
Exactly my point. When I got to Civ1 I had a Mac and the Mac versions were always english.
I was about 14 year old then but it didnt matter that the game was in english. I played and learned it. And I learned a LOT OF english that way. By just playing english games.

And yes I think Japanese games should be played in Japanese. With an option for some important texts to be displayed in english so that you grab some conecepts of the story and so on. But the VOICES DEFINATELY have to be Japanese. They coulda do subtitles.

And a swedish game has to have swedish voices.

But well there arent any swedish games and I dont play console games.
Btw, Settlers3 is produced in German therefor it must have german voices.

I really like this Half-Life mod "Day of Defeat" because when you play Axis side you can shout commands in german.
MUCH MUCH MUCH more atmosphere that way!!!!
Instead of "Medic!!" you shout: "Sanitäter"
Great that is!

ata

P.S.: Someone requested an additional option for the poll. Well sorry I think only moderators are able to change polls. (at least the links says so)
Old October 5, 2001, 05:24   #66
Mankind
Warlord

Better are subtitles than dubbing

if they will make dubbing i will be
but i don't wan't to I want to play in serious game( just almost )

So they can localize it but give choice of playing localized or orginal
Old October 5, 2001, 06:48   #67
Atahualpa
Emperor

I dont know whats all this fuzz about "he/she is 15 and cant understand english properly so dont show him/her english at all"?

Why dont just give it to them and let them explore it. When they dont know the language the better. Because then there is even more to explore for them.
At least it was so for me.

As far as it concerns me I try to tell my little sister (12 years old) to play all her games in english (sims for example).
And I must say she likes it.

I dont think it is a valid argument that you dont play a game just because it is english. Thats simply not true. I mean since english is such a common language nowadays.

I think it is more the 40 year olds who havent had much training in english and who are much much less likely to learn that language so fast a kid could do.

ata
Old October 5, 2001, 06:50   #68
Atahualpa
Emperor

btw Operation Flashpoint is another game that provides texts in english/german/french... but audio output is all english.
Needless to say that I have chosen english for texts as well

ata
Old October 5, 2001, 07:33   #69
campmajor!
Prince

I would like to play the English version. It is just like Video-tapes. I never rent or buy the dubbed versions, only those with subtitles!

But for people who prefer localized versions, there should be a choice! Just like in civ2, start with the choice of language.

There is also another possible negative effect: when you play MP, should everybody play the same language to be able to play with each other?
Old October 5, 2001, 08:20   #70
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 16:03
Quote:
Originally posted by campmajor!
There is also another possible negative effect: when you play MP, should everybody play the same language to be able to play with each other?
I guess that wont be a problem, I have often played Settlers III online where I had the english version while most times the enemies had the German version