Old October 2, 2001, 14:36   #1
geofelt
Prince

Local Time: 09:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
magellan's contest
I have an idea for a different contest. The idea is simple. Be the first to send a unit around the world, starting in the capitol, and ending there. All contestants would start from the same save on a normal world. The key rule is no peeking at the map. I can think of several strategies and techniques. Anybody interested?
Old October 2, 2001, 16:51   #2
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 06:04
would it be a straight line?..otherwise just sail to a pole and round you go.

A straight line would be different on a big map
Old October 2, 2001, 17:51   #3
geofelt
Prince

I envisioned any means. Do you build lighthouse, Marco polo, magellans? Do you explore to find a passage? There is usually one, but maybe not. Do you build outpost cities? I suppose an explorer traversing the arctic should not count. I was looking to the challenge of exploration. Perhaps the challenge should be to reveal the entire world, but this might just be a race to apollo. Having the explorer travel on the same lattitude as the capitol city is an interesting idea. Any others?
Old October 2, 2001, 21:25   #4
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 08:04
Research Writing and build a diplomat. Send him due east until he reaches the coast, and bribe the first ship he sees. Sail east to the next continent. Repeat until he returns...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old October 2, 2001, 22:09   #5
Smash
Emperor

A straight line would be a pain.Like if I came across a 6 square inland lake.Now I got to build on the edge and make a boat???.

You just need the right map.One that doesn't allow a straight sail round the pole.Something like one of the Scouse's Spindle map.It was tall and skinny maybe 200x 50 or something.The edges were "sealed off".In order to get thru you had to march overland and build or use small lakes to make a "canal".
Old October 3, 2001, 12:26   #6
geofelt
Prince

I generated a number of maps using the map generator. In all of them, there was a passage around the world near either the north or south pole. I specified normal size, large land mass, and continents. Depending on where you start, It could still be a challenge to find that passage. Some starting positions would be landlocked. I have started a number of games with this type of map and selected one where the starting location is in the middle of the map and founded trondheim in a reasonable place. That save game is attached. It is a deity 2.42 save on continent 1 and ocean 1. Let's see how it goes. A key rule would be the prohibition of clicking on dark spaces to find the main body of ocean. Of course, peeking is forbidden. Sending an explorer around the polar land area would not be a win either. The idea is to start a civ, build an expedition, and transport a land unit like a dip or explorer around the world and back to trondheim. I will start this, but just keep some general notes of interest, not a detailed log.
Old October 3, 2001, 12:28   #7
geofelt
Prince

Let me try to get that save attached.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav ca_b4000.sav (68.2 KB, 3 views)
Old October 3, 2001, 13:22   #8
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

A suggestion: You must start from your capital towards east or west and go a straight line until coming back from the other side. If you meet land, you need to go across it -- build a city, ship in, disband the city and build one next to it, then move the ship. If there are any cities on your way you'd have to destroy them first, since you can't build your "ship host" city next to another city.

One can intentionally build several cities on the way of the expedition and make the defenders inside very tough to kill.

If you want to make it harder, give the player only one ship and change rules.txt so no more ships can be built.
Old October 3, 2001, 16:15   #9
Smash
Emperor

ok..I'll have a go at it.Something different at least.

I got off to very fast start thanks to 3 advanced tribes.My warrior defended cap was attacked by a barb legion from a hut but survived despite having 4 cities at the time.Another was bribed just in time to save a new city.There are lots of huts so far.I have 2 triremes looking.I found 1 pole so far.That is off limits so I don't know which way to send 1.If it keeps going the way it is..I'll have both triremes heading the same way.

I allready killed off one civ.Stumbled on them after killing a warrior that was "blocking" my exploration.A "just recovered enough to have 2 moves" chariot survived an attack leaving an undefended size 2 city for yet another freebie.

It hasn't been similiarly fast to Monarchy or my actual objective.I think I will go for Lighthouse.Send out 4 triremes with 8 diplomats and try to explore and bribe my way round.....we'll see.

Last edited by Smash; October 3, 2001 at 17:04.
Old October 4, 2001, 00:36   #10
geofelt
Prince

I think this may be too simple. I built marco polo, gave away techs and got maps from all. Built Lighthouse and some triremes headed to the unblocked pole, and I expect them to find a passage.
As an alternative thought, how about setting up for the earliest around the world transit of a unit ? This would require development through railroad, and ship chaining. Some rival civs might object, and some conquest might be required.
Old October 4, 2001, 01:52   #11
Smash
Emperor

I made it in 100BC.It was kinda easy.
Try this one.Its a 225x25 world.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip magellans.sav.zip (5.7 KB, 5 views)
Old October 4, 2001, 16:31   #12
Howitzer Al
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:04
Quote:
Originally posted by geofelt
I think this may be too simple. I built marco polo, gave away techs and got maps from all. Built Lighthouse and some triremes headed to the unblocked pole, and I expect them to find a passage.
As an alternative thought, how about setting up for the earliest around the world transit of a unit ? This would require development through railroad, and ship chaining. Some rival civs might object, and some conquest might be required.
Why would you need to wait until railroad? Couldn't you just load a warrior onto a trireme and send him on his way?
While others rejoice that He put roses among the thorns.
Old October 4, 2001, 17:23   #13
geofelt
Prince

Let me clarify my idea. I suggest a race to the earliest around the world transit of a unit IN ONE TURN. I am looking for a challenge that requires exploration, diplomacy, and some civ building. To cross a continent in one turn would require railroad, but a massive ship chaining effort might be possible.
Old October 4, 2001, 19:55   #14
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 14:04
geofelt ... do you have the patch for Giga Maps? ...

-------------

SG(2)
Old October 5, 2001, 00:26   #15
geofelt
Prince

If that is the nolimits mod, yes I do. I don't think there is a no limits version of the map editor.