Old October 2, 2001, 15:48   #1
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

Local Time: 11:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Will be possible to offer other civ to BREAK a pact in exchange of other stuff???
For example. Your empire is in war time. Its in war against the Romans. So, u realise that for the Romans being capable to attack ur empire, they have to pass through the British territory, witch they have a free pass pact with the Romans. Now, the British are needed of Horses. So, u go and talk to them and offer:

We Offer: 1 horse
You Must: Cancel free pass pact with the Romans.

That will be possible???.
Old October 2, 2001, 15:52   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 09:04
oh. good question.

sorry i don't have the answer.

and the bigger question, will they actually break the free pass act, and not sign it again for a while? (not like when you gave an AI to attack an enemy and they made peace in 5 turns)
Old October 2, 2001, 15:59   #3
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 15:04
IIRC, you can demand a military pact against the Romans. And a pact of this kind should require that the British cancel the free pasage agreement with the Romans.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old October 2, 2001, 16:22   #4
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 10:04
Quote:
Originally posted by lockstep
IIRC, you can demand a military pact against the Romans. And a pact of this kind should require that the British cancel the free pasage agreement with the Romans.
ya but breaking pacts would probably cost less on your end than declaring war
Old October 2, 2001, 16:31   #5
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

I dont want the British in a middle of a war that they will loose and will make the Romans more powerful. I just want to use them as a paceful wall against the Romans.
Old October 2, 2001, 16:44   #6
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by dainbramaged13
ya but breaking pacts would probably cost less on your end than declaring war
And that was exactly the reason why I suggested this. Offer the British one horse, get them into a military alliance against the Romans (that is, if the British really need the horse that bad), and wait for the Romans to declare war. Now, it´s two against one.

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKrux
and the bigger question, will they actually break the free pass act, and not sign it again for a while? (not like when you gave an AI to attack an enemy and they made peace in 5 turns)
I guess they could only cancel their new alliance with you peacefully after twenty turns.

Quote:
Originally posted by Asesino_Virtual
I dont want the British in a middle of a war that they will loose and will make the Romans more powerful. I just want to use them as a paceful wall against the Romans.
Well, if I were the Romans, hated your empire, could attack you only via British territory, and knew the British could hardly defend themselves, I´d declare war on the British anyway.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old October 2, 2001, 16:52   #7
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Extremely good question, maybe Dan will give us an answer.
Old October 2, 2001, 17:22   #8
Trifna
King

Local Time: 22:04
About on the same subject line, I'm also woundering if we will be able to ask something for EVERY diplomatic proposition that can be made. I remember SMAC where in some cases it could have been useful. Sure changes diplomacy.
Old October 2, 2001, 19:41   #9
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

Dont let this thread die! Its an important one and deserves a better discussion!
Old October 2, 2001, 20:14   #10
Roman
King

Local Time: 14:04
Well, I would hope that's possible to do.
Old October 2, 2001, 20:40   #11
dearmad
Prince

This would be good, but only if carefully balanced- too easy to take advantage of the AI and abuse this...
Old October 2, 2001, 21:17   #12
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
Extremely good question, maybe Dan will give us an answer.
LOL and maybe Sid Meier will do Civ4 Ha!

It is a good question that should be answered.

Dan's probably too busy playing Civ3 to answer the likes of us.
Old October 2, 2001, 21:18   #13
manofthehour
Warlord

Ya the defintitly should be a break treaty button. Well hopeuflly that will be included.
Old October 3, 2001, 08:26   #14
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
My belief is that this feature will be in. In SMAC, Firaxis gave us all sorts of diplomatic options to choose from - Declare war on [civ], Make peace with [civ]... This would only be an extra version of these options already included. So, i think it will be in
Old October 3, 2001, 10:07   #15
Mihai
CTP2 Source Code Project
Warlord

Local Time: 16:04
Or if Britain have horses and sell them to Romans, can you give something to Britain so that they stop that trade? Maybe start selling those horses to you .

Did somebody know if in Civ3 will exist that thing that I liked in SMAC - lend agreement? If so, I would like if it could be mixed with some other options, like 'I will sell those horses only in exchange of X gold AND a loan of Y gold'
Old October 3, 2001, 14:21   #16
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

I will sustain this thread until Friday, day which Dan overlooks this forum.
Old October 3, 2001, 14:37   #17
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 08:04
from civ3.com

Our new diplomatic model will allow you to put nearly anything on the table when making deals with other civs. You can trade a variety of things, including:

Cities
Gold (lump sum or per turn)
Technologies
Luxuries
Resources
World Maps
Contact with other civs
Diplomatic Agreements, which can include the following:
Peace treaty
Right of passage pact
Mutual protection pact
Military alliance against a common enemy
Trade embargo against a common enemy
Old October 3, 2001, 14:46   #18
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

Yeah, but nothing about BREAK pacts in exchange of... u know what i mean.
Old October 3, 2001, 14:52   #19
Screebo
Settler

yeah that bothered me too

it still has the old option of dealing with the relations between you and a civ , but not abusing how that civ treats another

I hope such options are in, but its likely they are not. therefore the best we could do probably is ask that civ (britian) to just join you in fighting of the other (rome)
Old October 3, 2001, 16:31   #20
rwz
Chieftain

I always wanted the "stop building that Planet Buster or feel my wrath" type option. Not that in SMAC anyway the other civ's cared about you getting upset.

Or maybe a stop building that project, nuclear weapon, etc and I'll give you this city.
Old October 3, 2001, 22:23   #21
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

yeah, would be cool
Old October 3, 2001, 22:58   #22
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 10:04
Asesino, no offense, but every time I see your name, the first thing that comes into my head is 'Ascetic Virtues'.
Old October 3, 2001, 23:24   #23
TechWins
King

Local Time: 07:04
I'm coming out of my silence to say this(not by choice of doing limited posting but by crappy Netzero, but all will change when I get DSL on Oct. 8):

Possibly the Mutual Protection Pact could include what you are looking for Asesino.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 3, 2001, 23:34   #24
JellyDonut
Prince

I think a Mutual Protection Pact is where you and another civ agree that if an attack is made on either one of you, you both go to war. Like NATO, only defensive

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old October 3, 2001, 23:37   #25
TechWins
King

It could also mean that the English wouldn't give the Romans (who are enemies with your Civ) a right of passage knowing that the Romans might attack you. Or am I betting on too much of a sophisticated AI?
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 3, 2001, 23:46   #26
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
Or am I betting on too much of a sophisticated AI?
Yes.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old October 4, 2001, 00:46   #27
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 03:04
Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
It could also mean that the English wouldn't give the Romans (who are enemies with your Civ) a right of passage knowing that the Romans might attack you. Or am I betting on too much of a sophisticated AI?
Firaxis did an excellent job with the SMAC diplomacy model, they know there stuff when it comes to making diplomacy fun.

The biggest challenge will be having the AI accept sensible deals, the SMAC AI was fairly good in this regard (it wouldn't embark on a self-destructive alliance lightly). I have faith in Firaxis to be able to make an even better AI for Civ3, particullary when it comes to being able to accept a reasonable offer, rather than always having to rip off the human...
Old October 4, 2001, 01:27   #28
TechWins
King

I too think the Civ3 AI will be much improved upon Civ2 and as well as SMAC, but what I was hoping for was a bit of a stretch on the efficiency of the AI.
Old October 4, 2001, 01:53   #29
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 03:04
Yes... the main thing SMAC AI lacked was (a lot!) of tweaking, it seemed to play to slightly different rules, as if the AI was "finished", then a bunch of features added/modified, without the AI being updated. (the best example of this is the AI being unable to utilise crawlers, forests and treefarms properly)

*Most* of the flaws in the SMAC AI could have been fixed with a patch, which unfortunately never came. (Not even with Alien Crossfire )

Firaxis policy on patching SMAC seemed to be "if it isn't completely broken, dont fix it". And because the AI half worked, that was good enough .

Lets hope they support Civ3 better, and update the AI every so often as new winning strategies are discovered.
(Or is there some unwritten law about not improving AI in games )
Old October 4, 2001, 09:38   #30
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
Asesino, no offense, but every time I see your name, the first thing that comes into my head is 'Ascetic Virtues'.
And ur nick with Ana Kurkicoba. Are u so hot?
If we translate my nick to english, would be: Virtual Assassin.